User Tag List

123 Last

garbage

Default Multivitamins: intense discussions thread

Just gonna put this out there: what sort of multivitamins do you take? would you recommend them?

I'm trying to figure out whether the ones I'm on suck or not--they're just generic store pharmacy stuff--but as far as I can tell, all of the multivitamins do pretty much the same thing. Tell me if I'm wrong!

Phantonym

Do you really need multivitamins? If they're not really recommended by your doctor, that is. Taking multivitamins all the time is not necessary. Choosing them on your own isn't really that wise either. Maybe your body only needs a certain group of vitamins. Observe you body.

The body doesn't really need all the vitamins in the multivitamin "concoction". You could have an overaboundance of vitamins that could lead to allergies and they're also a burden to the liver. Plus, all the unnecessary vitamins go flush through your body, so you'd be only wasting your money on them. You should be getting all that is necessary from your diet and only supplement with the vitamins after, for example, a course of antibiotics or something like that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

I take vitamins everyday. I am very particular about many things, though. I shop at the same stores, deal with the same salespeople, etc. I only take GNC vitamins. To me, they are a vitamin store, so they focus on vitamins, and may know a little more than the average grocery. Their staff is knowledgeable, and they have a member discount every 4 weeks, so...
    My grandma takes vitamins and has given me several of her generics, and I didn't think they worked as well. They didn't seem as targeted on specifics. However, I take specific vitamins for joint pain, hair and nails, etc(I eat maybe one serving of meat every 2 days-so my nails flake off-painfully)
    I would compare ingredients on the multivitamins. I would say those are fine from anywhere. It's the specific vitamins that would be iffy. I think generic and name brand is a marketing technique. I just watched on some show the other night about how brand name medicines have 2 or 3 years before their ingredients can be made available to become generic, and after that, any company can devise a close representation of the drug. It's like a running headstart to get the namebrand into your brain and make you not want to switch.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Do you really need multivitamins? If they're not really recommended by your doctor, that is. Choosing them on your own isn't really that wise. Maybe your body only needs a certain group of vitamins. Observe your body.
    I really find it interesting that 'observe your body' and 'if they're not recommended by your doctor' are in the same paragraph.
    I do agree that by all means you should know what you're doing when deciding health for yourself, but a doctor recommendation is not always needed, in my opinion. Every medicine has been recreated by man from something already found in nature. You can take medicine, or vitamins. You can suppress the illness and hide the symptoms, or you can treat the person and the problem.
    Doctors are well educated, yes, but you have been educated in your body for your entire life, in a very specific way. A doctor prescribing something can be just as wrong as you could be. I'm allergic to bendryl, and have to take it each time I make a Dr. visit just to prove it, because they always tell me to take benadryl. Like so:
    Dr."Go home and take some bendryl, and this will clear right up."
    Me:"I'm allergic to benadryl."
    Dr:" Are you sure? I've never heard of someone being allergic to bendryl?"
    Me:"I knew you would think that, so I took some right before I came in." Raises shirt to expose red and purple hives on trunk.
    Dr: "OH! Don't take benadryl. Try this..."
    And vitamins are for wellness, not health. Yes, they are separate. So, to maintain your wellness, you should use your own approval.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone3 View Post
    I really find it interesting that 'observe your body' and 'if they're not recommended by your doctor' are in the same paragraph.
    Nothing "interesting" about it, in my opinion, they were meant as two separate parts that might or might not be applied simultaneously. You can observe your body to notice the changes. You can go to the pharmacy and stock up on every vitamin available. If you're knowledgeable enough and have experience, you can make choices that bring relief. You might be right or you might be wrong, time will tell. But if you're not or if it's not helping, you can, if you need, consult a doctor who can recommend you some. They can only give you recommendations on how to proceed further based on your own observance of you body. You can follow the doctors blindly or you can consider the validity of the recommendations to make up your mind about trying things that might help. The choice is yours.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Vitamin pills are bullshit. If you don't get all your vitamins from your diet, then your diet is wrong and you need to change it. End of story.

MBTI
    INTx

I've heard a lot of conflicting information regarding multivitamins, but I've seen nothing conclusive, so I assume they're a waste of money. A balanced diet should be providing the body with the nutrition it needs anyway, so multivitamins on top of that are essentially doing nothing.

I do think there's merit in specific supplementation based on personal needs however. Vitamin D for people living in latitudes with restricted sunlight, protein for weightlifters, iron for those with iron deficiency anemia, etc.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't take any 'vitamins', but I do take supplements that I have researched and found to be useful (yes, I 'listened' to my body):

turmeric powder
    Vit. D
    L-carnitine
    Phosphatidylserine

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm taking GNC's MEGA MEN SPORT.

ARRGGHGHHH!H!!!!! MY MANLINESS IS RISING TO CATASTROPHIC LEVELLSSWWSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 1111

As a vegetarian I take this pill called blood builders (Iron, Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, and Folate) whenever I can remember. I try to eat a range of foods anyway, but I figure it cannot hurt. Plus I'm not sure if I eat enough dairy to get all the B12 I need...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.