• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

p90x

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Somebody tried that rutine? and maybe inlighting me with some tips? :)

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I do it, it works! but you HAVE TO maintain your diet and do the routines the right way and write down your results. Its a super intense workout, its not for amateurs at all. Youll be doing like an hours worth of pushups and pullups on week 1 off the bat, so youll need a pullup bar and free weights and a lot of other shit. Its a 500 dollar commitment not including your time. Think it through, its very rewarding though if you follow through.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I'm doing it right now... it works. Some tips:

If you're entirely out of shape you may want to prepare for a month or two first, just to build some basic cardio endurance. Pushups, pullups, jogging, skipping rope, just get used to moving for long periods of time. P90 works you hard for about an hour per day. If your lungs give out 5 minutes into the routine the entire workout will be murder.

Be prepared to eat good. P90 works you six days a week (with an optional 7th day for lots of stretching) so you need to recover fast. You can't be eating junk calories. I suggest eating clean a couple weeks in advance to minimize the stress on your system. The recovery drinks they advocate are highly recommended, though of course you can make your own rather than buying their stuff.

Sleep good. Poor sleeps make for poor recovery.

Be flexible! A lot of the movements require toe touching or kicking or just generally putting your limbs in places that daily life doesn't put them. Holding your limbs at awkward angles makes the workout stressful and certain parts impossible. This was and still is my weakness - I'm a taller guy with the flex of a steel rod, so I'm struggling in spots that I shouldn't be.. if I could just move my arms/legs into the right position.

Take breaks. Pause the video. Especially at first. The guys on the videos have been doing the routine for months and months. Don't feel compelled to match their pace, but do maintain proper form.

Good mat is suggested. Some of the exercises will wedge your hips into the floor. The bands and pushup bar.. thing.. aren't really required at all, provided you have some decent weights.

If you're not in good shape you'll probably be very sore for the first couple weeks. Power through that. The sore sensation fades once you're warmed up and moving again.

Pandar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I actually find Feops post helpful because I am looking into starting p90x. By good mat do you mean a Yoga mat?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm probably not going to be all that helpful because I never follow things the "right" way... but I'll share anyways :)

My boyfriend is all into fitness stuff and such and convinced me to get into P-90x, so he loaned me his DVDs.

I just jumped right into it after not having any kind of work-out routine in a few months. It hurt like hell, but that's the way I rather do it. I'd never get it done if I did months preparation or whatever. Now I'm picking up speed, going from like 1-2x a week for 30-40 minutes to 3-4x a week, and the whole workout. So it's really what you prefer to do. Taking breaks is good. Do as much as you can, but don't kill yourself trying. Work out again as soon as you thing you're able... and you'll pick up speed too.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I actually find Feops post helpful because I am looking into starting p90x. By good mat do you mean a Yoga mat?

A yoga mat is probably good. You want a mat that's padded enough to prevent your hips from digging into the floor or carpet, but firm enough that it isn't squishy. I don't have one but I really should.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
A friend loaned me his copy and I tried it for a few months. My thoughts are that it would be a great starting point for someone with little to no experience in serious (1+ hour/day) structure workout regimens. However, beyond teaching someone the habits and proper form I would not suggest sticking to this long-term because it ultimately boils down to a 1-size-fits-all way to build glamor muscles, which is not the way for one to reach their full athletic potential. If I were a beginner I'd do this to learn the basics and maintain it for 2-3 months, then start digging into the science like which muscle groups are effected by each movement. Then you begin to customize and fine tune your workouts based on your performance needs.

Guys tend to go straight for low-rep high weight approach to get the fastest "results" (most visible) but I would strongly recommend taking the endurance high-rep low weight route if you want athletic results. Strength approach will add a lot of size and burst power, but this also slows you down. Start with building a very dense amount of high-efficiency muscle because this is what you will rely on about 85%+ of the time. It also allows you to maintain a high level of flexibility. You can always add up large high strength muscle fiber where you need it for bursts of power, IME that will change with what activities you are into. Think of your body like a car, the fastest have the highest horsepower-to-weight ratio... this is your thin, very dense, high efficiency muscle fiber. The larger strength muscle strands are more like nitrous... good for a short burst but not very efficient. I'm sure many lifters would disagree but the results for lean muscle building speak for themselves when you look at great athletes like michael phelps, bruce lee, and lance armstrong. :yes:

great athletes with excellent muscle balance and density
http://holagatito.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/381028570_083475b1f7.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y4ZhOGSf9lA/SKugf-5rpGI/AAAAAAAAAFk/GKDutkoZebw/S490/Bruce-Lee-Photo-2.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/startracks/061023/lance_armstrong.jpg

p90x - too much glamor muscles, not enough endurance and core work!
http://www.extreme-workout.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/picture-tony-horton-1.jpg

good luck, and be patient :cheese: the 1 thing i really like about p90x is how they stress taking things 1 day at a time. if fitness is daunting to you, this is the best thing to know. just focus on what you are doing that moment every day.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Wow, thanks guys! :)

Well, i'm starting right after my London trip so approx the 12th of July. I have been weight training for over a year now with cardio so i think i'm ready.. The problem i might get is with the whole food thing. See i'm trying to gain weight, yeah, stupid to do the p90x then right? i'm 167 cm and my weight is about 50 kg, so i'm little.. But when i do lot of cardio i get so hungry i eat like a convict eating his/her first real meal.. So i hope i can handle it without killing my body! :)

I'm really looking forward doing it.. ^^

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
p90x has "levels" too (lean, standard, and doubles if I remember) So you can start out with a lower level if the standard one is too rough.

I played around with p90x, but I'm terrible when comes to actually following through with something.

Pandar

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you have hunger problems then I recommend stuff that is filling but low fat. Of course keep everything proportional to what you need but try things like yogurt, brown rice, and meat (chicken is very good and filling, fish just makes me hungrier :/.) I also find that eating a lot of veggies fills me up quickly so see what you can do with that. If you want to gain weight then healthy carbs and protein are very important.

Hmmmm... Now I want food and I am trying to lose weight. Oh lol. Yay yogurt.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm now on day 35 of the Lean program after my partner in crime bailed and I quit for a month. I thought I was going to die the first two weeks, but I pushed myself to complete all of the daily regimes and hung in there. Week three got easier and I was able to do maximum reps on the most difficult(for me) work outs.

I highly recommend following the meal plan, and as was already mentioned, getting adequate sleep. I had more cravings the first two weeks than I ever had during my pregnancy! I've seen a good payoff, even after my break: muscle definition beginning to show in all the right places, increased stamina, better sleep, more alert, etc...

I didn't do any preparation at all, was completely out of shape to begin with, and probably would've failed the fitness test had I taken it. It's a flexible program, so do what you can. Feops gave good tips. I second pausing the DVD if need be.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
If you have hunger problems then I recommend stuff that is filling but low fat. Of course keep everything proportional to what you need but try things like yogurt, brown rice, and meat (chicken is very good and filling, fish just makes me hungrier :/.) I also find that eating a lot of veggies fills me up quickly so see what you can do with that. If you want to gain weight then healthy carbs and protein are very important.

Hmmmm... Now I want food and I am trying to lose weight. Oh lol. Yay yogurt.

You need a fair bit of protein either way I would think, just to rebuild yourself quickly enough. The diet plan for p90x generally suggests reducing carbs substantially to start off.

I struggle with veggies. They are filling, for what you get per cal, but do not impart much satisfaction in a meal.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
I'm not so fond of veggies either, especially not boiled carrots -.- or anything boiled.. however i cover them up with sauce or other various garnishings.. But i have gained 1kg by drinking 100g weightgainer a day and eating bigger meals, so i'll just step it up and get a little cardio going so i'm ready for the program start :)

Thanks for the advice, everybody! :)