User Tag List

Thread: kava

Default kava

anyone here have any experience with kava? i just bought some from a natural food store in liquid form in a tincture brown bottle thing but so far i'm really excited about using it for my anxiety.

i'm a little concerned about what i've read about possible liver damage . . . but whatever . . .

kava kava kava kava . . . anyone???

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

It makes your mouth numb, you feel relaxed and it seemed (for me anyway) to prevent hangover after a hard nights drinking (alcohol).
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ----

i had some in fiji once, but i think it was tourist grade as it just made my mouth a bit tingly and tasted like dirt.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Drink 1/4 pint patchouli oil and a mouthful of cedar mulch for the same taste/effect.

Considering what you have to go through to ingest kava-lactones, and the small amount of relief (it provided super-duper-neurotransmitter-tolerant-me) experienced I gave up on it after 2 tries.

I'm all for homeopathic/naturopathic medicines/health supplements, but when the product is pricey, nasty, and of limited utility, I am prone to give up and be happy I have a Xanax prescription for my insomnia.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I tried kava awhile ago out of curiosity, I hated the taste, but did notice some relaxing effects. Kava extract is available for people who want to get around the taste.

I'd also recommend phenibut as a natural stress/anxiety reliever, as it seems to be a bit stronger.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I tried kava awhile ago out of curiosity, I hated the taste, but did notice some relaxing effects. Kava extract is available for people who want to get around the taste.
    That's good, as the real stuff really does taste horrid, at least to me it did.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'd also recommend phenibut as a natural stress/anxiety reliever, as it seems to be a bit stronger.
    I've heard phenibut is good stuff, but never tried it. Thanks for the reminder!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP

My sister just bought some, and she said it has a calming effect on her so far. She has a pill form and a powder form. She says from what she read, the liver damage was from companies trying to use the whole plant instead of just the root, but the studies didn't show the same liver damage effect when just the root was used.
    Something Witty