• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

It hurts

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You don't have to have money to speak to a qualified counselor. You can go through health and Human Services, or the United Way, or through a church organization like Catholic Services. Most are free, or are on a sliding scale.

There's also a program through the Midwest Center, which deals specifically with panic disorders and depression, that you can do from home if you're too uncomfortable talking to someone.

link please?

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
Maybe you're overtraining? If you can make it through a whole year of gym class you should be fine.

How about sports? Or riding a bike or something? Exercise doesn't mean you have to destroy yourself with push-ups and sit-ups.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you get into shape it will stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how much your body can change in a few months, even a few weeks...you can even stop having muscle soreness with a few days.

I have a friend who is obese who stopped doing an aerobic work-out DVD because it made her leg muscles hurt....the thing is, though, if she had kept it up, it would eventually become so easy that it would not only have stopped being painful, but it even would stop being challenging.

I don't know what it's like to be overweight to the point of having serious pressure on your joints (I'm not saying that's the case with you, I don't know) but that could be overcome if the initial weight was lost through diet and swimming, which puts virtually no impact on your joints.

You might also want to invest in a good pair of running shoes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There is no protein, I can't eat beans, they make me sick.

Whoa...did you say you don't eat protein?

You need to see a doctor about this. There could actually be something wrong with your muscles.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Whoa...did you say you don't eat protein?

You need to see a doctor about this. There could actually be something wrong with your muscles.

Absolutely! :huh:

Don't feel moody, dear little Hap'... Even if we're far away, we care about you, it's true!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you get into shape it will stop hurting. You'll be amazed at how much your body can change in a few months, even a few weeks...you can even stop having muscle soreness with a few days.

This and LadyJaye's psychological advice.

If you were doing it for months and you still hurt every day you are either over training or have some kind of physical or psychological problem.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This and LadyJaye's psychological advice.

If you were doing it for months and you still hurt every day you are either over training or have some kind of physical or psychological problem.

Yep.

Also, Marmalades point re. the protein!!! (or lack of, in this case) -- That alone could be causing some big problems.

Finally... your comment on walking doing you no good. Untrue. Any physical exercise/movement is going to do something, and walking would be the easiest on the joints. Walking is pretty much my only cardiovascular activity. I throw a run in every now and then, but don't enjoy running all that much and also extended runs don't work well with my knees.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I did exercise for four months and it was still extremely painful by the end. The first three weeks were so insanely painful I didn't even want to get up ever again. You have no idea you have no idea or maybe you do and I'm just so weak...

Just thinking about this is making my heart all fluttery and uncomfortable.

I hate all sports and I hate bicycles. I hate everything. Sports are so frightening, everyone always trying to hurt me. I think I might have inner ear damage. Either that or bikes are too far from the ground. Or too dangerous in general. They're terrifying...

I don't like beans, that doesn't mean I don't eat protein...

I'm 160 lbs and 5'4"

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If you belong to a gym you should talk to a trainer (talk to several) who are working the floor - it's free and included with your gym membership those trainers are there to assist people. If you're in school, talk with a gym instructor.

I currently see a personal trainer who is REALLY focused on health/fitness and to increase tone and muscle it is necessary to get sore. The muscle tone is created during REST. Your body is literally rebuilding itself.

Hap - what exactly "hurts"? It hurts all over? Your joints? Your muscles? Your knees? What is the pain like? How long have you felt this pain, since the very first time you ever did physical exercise and it has continued since? From a scale of 1-10 where 1 is picking up a prickly object and 10 is so painful you think you are about to pass out screaming because you cannot physically stand it - what is the level of pain that you normally feel and does it fluctuate?

I skimmed through the thread but your descriptions of the pain are very vague and it's hard for me to offer advice other than urging you to think more specifically about what is bothering you and talk to a fitness/medical professional.

A friend told me about a ski trip she took where one of the dads complained about a pain in his shoulder. He ignored it and continued skiing but when they got back home a doctor told him he had dislocated it or something crazy like that. My friend went surfing and thought her knee hurt and when she came back and went to the doctor turned out she had torn a major ligament in her knee and she needed a knee brace and crutches for quite a while.

So basically, it pays to really focus in on what is causing you pain and checking it out!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I hate the questions where they ask to rate pain because i have no starting place, but I have felt like I was going to pass out many times during gym classes... For a long time I had a lot of trouble with stairs, my ankles feel like someone set them on fire, my throat stuffed with sandpaper, and I am sure that it was normal muscle soreness but I remember it as so terrifyingly painful that I cannot make myself go through it again. My arm is feeling numb again from a months old injury and I am so sure my body is reacting to trauma that never happened... It hurts...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hap, I would strongly suggest you see a doctor or two about this to get their opinions. And in the meantime talk to personal trainers/gym teachers. Start researching your symptoms on WebMD, etc.

I think there is some confusion (at least on my part) because you describe intense, unnatural physical pain and then say it is probably basically just "in your head".

That's why I think a medical doctor or better yet, a physical therapist, would be able to help you best, they can determine where the pain is emanating from and help gauge how much of what you are feeling is your "perception" and how much is being triggered by points on your body.

How long have you felt these pains? Since early childhood? Etc.

I hate to sound so nosy or invasive, but these are the kind of questions I think your doctor will also ask you as they are necessary for them to help you find out exactly what is going on. The more you can articulate the nature, range, intensity, and location of the pain you have the more your doctors can help you diagnose it.

Just a layman's view point - the pain that you have described seems exceptional and not context appropriate. Walking up stairs should not be that painful. It is possible you are just "extremely" out of shape and your entire body will hurt when you excercise and you have a very low pain threshold - I think it's more likely that something is up and you should really, really get it examined by at least 1 but ideally at least 2 medical professionals and a health/massage/etc. expert to boot.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am pretty sure it is in my head because I have very intense reactions to things others barely feel, I tried telling my therapist yesterday and she gave me a strange look and told me walking wasn' useless.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm....how much water do you drink in a day, by the way?

What is your diet like?

How many times a week do you workout?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I do not remember when the pain started... but I remember always hating exercise ever since I was very young. I hated sports and especially hated running. I would complain that my feet hurt, but now it has moved up to my ankles and calves. I would complain about it all the time when I was little. I don't remember how intense it was.

There's never been anything wrong with me. The only thing I can tell might be wrong is that I might kind of have an uneven gait but that can't account for everything.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do not remember when the pain started... but I remember always hating exercise ever since I was very young. I hated sports and especially hated running. I would complain that my feet hurt, but now it has moved up to my ankles and calves. I would complain about it all the time when I was little. I don't remember how intense it was.

There's never been anything wrong with me. The only thing I can tell might be wrong is that I might kind of have an uneven gait but that can't account for everything.

Ok, first of all, it's not like exercising, if you're first starting it after not having done it for a while, is going to be a jolly good time. It's going to be pretty unpleasant, your body will not want to do it, you might feel like you're going to pass out, etc. There will be pain, yes. Even if you ARE in relatively good shape, it's not going to be completely pain free. You're pushing your body. I mean, for myself, at the end of a 12 mile hike, during the final couple of miles my feet hurt, my joints hurt, I'm muttering/cussing under my breath at times just because I'm ready for it to be over and I'm irritable and exhausted... But it shouldn't be intense, uncontrollable pain. If the pain is totally extreme, I really don't think that's a good thing.

Look, I don't pretend to have the answer and I don't think it would hurt to seek medical input on this, BUT I will say if you are so absolutely 100% mentally focused on the pain aspect, the pain is going to be that much worse. It's kinda like if you're feeling sick, and you think you're really sick, and you have a headache and think you have a fever, the pain might be really bad, because it's all you're focusing on...then if you take your temperature and realize you actually don't have a fever, then, voila, miraculously the pain begins to dissolve away.

(This isn't applicable to actual medical pain conditions..I don't want anyone to think I'm speaking towards genetic/medical things that cause the pain.)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ok, first of all, it's not like exercising, if you're first starting it after not having done it for a while, is going to be a jolly good time. It's going to be pretty unpleasant, your body will not want to do it, you might feel like you're going to pass out, etc. There will be pain, yes. Even if you ARE in relatively good shape, it's not going to be completely pain free. You're pushing your body. I mean, for myself, at the end of a 12 mile hike, during the final couple of miles my feet hurt, my joints hurt, I'm muttering/cussing under my breath at times just because I'm ready for it to be over and I'm irritable and exhausted... But it shouldn't be intense, uncontrollable pain. If the pain is totally extreme, I really don't think that's a good thing.

Look, I don't pretend to have the answer and I don't think it would hurt to seek medical input on this, BUT I will say if you are so absolutely 100% mentally focused on the pain aspect, the pain is going to be that much worse. It's kinda like if you're feeling sick, and you think you're really sick, and you have a headache and think you have a fever, the pain might be really bad, because it's all you're focusing on...then if you take your temperature and realize you actually don't have a fever, then, voila, miraculously the pain begins to dissolve away.

(This isn't applicable to actual medical pain conditions..I don't want anyone to think I'm speaking towards genetic/medical things that cause the pain.)

Reading this caused me to feel physically ill.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well...I guess my work here is done? :shock:

Seriously, I'm sorry. I hope you figure it out.

Can I stab my legs and get my pain done for the week?

Can I flay off my skin? Tear off my scalp? Pluck out my eyes? What will be good enough?

It was such a relief to know I was sick. I felt so much better as soon as I was officially ill.