• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you work out when it's too hot?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The air conditioning's broke, it's hot outside, it's humid, it's terrible, it's like perpetually living in a birkam yoga room. How are you supposed to do anything in this sort of weather?

Then again, I guess if it's like a bikram yoga room, I can do bikram yoga, but I'm not too fond of fading in and out of consciousness.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Water!

If it's hot enough, there's nothing you can do. Most exercise raises your body temperature, and at a certain point your body basically shuts down. Even when we're not talking about risks to your health, you can't reach optimum performance if heat is getting in the way (especially for cardio work).

That said, proper hydration is essential -- including during exercise, if possible. You can also use damp towels and such to help control your body temperature between sets, or soak your shirt in cold (not freezing) water before a run/ride/etc. Holding a cold wash cloth to the back of your neck makes a small but noticeable difference.

Not to be too obvious, but if possible, you can also go swimming, or work out at an air-conditioned gym or some such.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Not to be too obvious, but if possible, you can also go swimming, or work out at an air-conditioned gym or some such.

Uh, yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I am dead broke.

But thanks, maybe I can sneak outside with a wet t-shirt, lol.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Uh, yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I am dead broke.
Yeah, I know how that goes. No public pool you can use?

Haphazard said:
But thanks, maybe I can sneak outside with a wet t-shirt, lol.
Haha, I know it's not an ideal solution. How desperate are you to exercise?

What about carrying a water bottle with you? Fill it 3/4 with ice and the rest with water. Apply it to your body while you work out, and/or drink from it to keep hydrated and cool.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah, I know how that goes. No public pool you can use?

Haha, I know it's not an ideal solution. How desperate are you to exercise?

What about carrying a water bottle with you? Fill it 3/4 with ice and the rest with water. Apply it to your body while you work out, and/or drink from it to keep hydrated and cool.

There's a public pool, but it's far from free.

Ever since I stopped walking to school I've started gaining weight again, so... I think I need to do something.

I do have a water bottle, it seems like it should be obvious. I think the heat is messing with my head.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Just drink more, sweat won't kill.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The air conditioning's broke, it's hot outside, it's humid, it's terrible, it's like perpetually living in a birkam yoga room. How are you supposed to do anything in this sort of weather?

Then again, I guess if it's like a bikram yoga room, I can do bikram yoga, but I'm not too fond of fading in and out of consciousness.

Work out at night, after the sun goes down. I do this A LOT.

Or if you're a morning person, then very early.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Are you sure? I've gotten pretty close.

Mmm well, if you naturally (or chronically) have low blood pressure, I'd advise against working out when it's too hot. Do you have any such condition? Blood / heart problems?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

I will see if the parents will let me out. They likely won't, but I can try.

Mmm well, if you naturally (or chronically) have low blood pressure, I'd advise against working out when it's too hot. Do you have any such condition? Blood / heart problems?

I'm terrible at retaining fluids, have some blood sugar issues, and I don't know if anxiety issues are considered heart problems but it sure feels like it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:cheese: I've been known to go to the trails in the summer with a gallon of water, and throw it on my body so that it takes a long time to dry off. It keeps you cool.

Proper hydration, and very careful hydration, will keep you on target. Infact, if you keep hydrated, there isn't much your body isn't capable of, hot weather or no. Your body will maintain a homeostasis, but watching your blood pressure/heart rate will let you feel for how much activity you should do.

It's hard when there's no retreat to the A/C if it gets to be too much, but don't forget about the "Cold water" function on your shower that everyone else never touches!! :laugh: A cool, lukewarm shower after a hot workout will leave you feeling refreshed as well.

Lastly, have you thought about a bit less cardio and more strength training? Strength training doesn't require a lot of the 'heating up' on your entire body that cardio and plyometrics does, so push-ups will make your arms burn, but the rest of your body won't suffer from the heat so much.

Also, early mornings and late nights are the cheapest ways to exercise in the cool air. :yes: Just adjusting your routine and schedule to avoid the hottest parts of the day will keep you from overheating. I don't recommend (Especially in texas!!) working out outside at 3pm, for example. It's the hottest time of the day here.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
:cheese: I've been known to go to the trails in the summer with a gallon of water, and throw it on my body so that it takes a long time to dry off. It keeps you cool.

Yeah, one of the tricks to staying cool while walking in the desert is to have wet hair.

D

Dali

This.

I'm spending a couple of weeks in Kuala Lumpur which is HOT and extremely humid. I'd probably get heatstroke if I attempted any exercise outside during the day.

Hope you manage to convince the parental units. Good luck. :D

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
take a swim (can you say that..?) go swimming! or do water aerobics. bring your weights and some stuff, and you'll get a pretty full-rounded work out.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Do some calisthenics. I do them every day inside, and it's never too hot because they only take but a minute or two.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
I cut my running in half since it is so hot out. It was 91 degrees with cloud cover at 10am yesterday morning :( I also just switched to morning runs instead of evening. I am thinking about joining a gym so I can do more indoors...or just buy a treadmill since I already have an elliptical.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I take at least 6 bottles of water, and convince myself that the extra sweat comes with the extra weight loss afterwards.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
run a route through a housing edition or an area where people dote over their lawns... they tend to have sprinkler systems that you can duck through to cool down :cheese:

I did that all of the time in high school! :holy: