• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cycling

Usehername

On a mission
I am a roadie, and spend 40 hrs a week at my shop selling, building bikes and talking cycling. I dislike MTB partly because I suck at it and partly because I see it as not matching my motivational purpose for riding, though on its own terms it's cool. Would not turn down a scandium frame, XTR equipped hardtail offered to me, for instance. ;)

I love going out to turn off my thoughts in a meditative way. I focus on my pedaling the same way meditators focus on their breathing and I ride until I feel at peace or until the relentless prairie wind kicks my butt and I turn around.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's great Giggly. MTB is fun, challenging and awesome :) The best thing is there are trails for every level of experience. I have a road bike too. I cycle 35-40 miles when I have the time but mainly now it's down to 15 miles.

How often?

I like pushing myself. Pushing past pain or beating your best time. I like the fact that cycling allows you to compete against yourself and when you do that you strengthen yourself mentally. Basically, that physical toughness can translate to other aspects of your life. You can channel it.

That sounds great. I always hear about "pushing past the pain".

If I go to Seattle, I'm going to take up biking for a cheap means of getting around.

hahaha you can't beat it.

I am a roadie, and spend 40 hrs a week at my shop selling, building bikes and talking cycling. I dislike MTB partly because I suck at it and partly because I see it as not matching my motivational purpose for riding, though on its own terms it's cool. Would not turn down a scandium frame, XTR equipped hardtail offered to me, for instance. ;)

I love going out to turn off my thoughts in a meditative way. I focus on my pedaling the same way meditators focus on their breathing and I ride until I feel at peace or until the relentless prairie wind kicks my butt and I turn around.

:wubbie: cycling is like meditation.... I love it.

I don't have a proper road bike yet but that is next on my list.

Ingrid in grids

Exactly this.

It's nice watching the people and the scenery go by. Where I'm from, cycling is pretty big and has a culture of its own. People cycle around the bay here every day. Café culture and cycling seem to go hand-in-hand. It's a pretty versatile way to take time out. It can be a workout, and it can be a lazy cruise. It can be social, and it can be solitary. :)

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Cycling rocks. I commute year round (yes, in winter too.)

The only thing that kind of sucks is I don't live in a very bike friendly city. The bike advocacy sucks here (hipsters on fixed gears =/= good bike advocacy) and I've had a couple road rage incidents with motorists.

I use a hybrid bike but I really want to get a dedicated hardtail mountain for off-roading.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is something about the freedom, being in nature, and the precision of how you maneuver the bike. There is also an aspect of pushing yourself to accomplish something. The wind in your face.

I've always loved cycling.

Exactly and where I live in the wine country they give wine tasting tours on bikes!!!

I'm jealous.

:wubbie: cycling is like meditation.... I love it.

Yes.

onceuponatime

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like that it is free and you can reach further places than walking and I like going down hills where I don't have to pedal. :)

Unless of course you ride a fixed gear bicycle which you do need to pedal even while going down hills. : /