• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zumba

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
@Unkindloving

Yep! The yoga/pilates one starts tomorrow, then the Zumba one will be next Wednesday. I'm doing both. I've only ever done yoga and pilates with dvds at home, so I'm excited to get some personal instruction to make sure I'm doing it right.

H

Hate

Zumba Fitness Videogame.
Platforms : Wii, PS3, & Xbox360
Release : November

For Xbox, it will utilize Kinect. PS3 with utilize Move. I'm not sure what Wii will utilize, possibly just the Wiimotes.
(Btw, totally think the Move technology looks ridiculous :laugh:)
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abN-m-lgyE4"]Zumba Fitness[/YOUTUBE]

Waaaant.

I will out Zumba you any day of the week...............ANY..............DAY....... OF........................THE..........................WEEK.
That move technology is all kinds of awesome. :laugh:

I found some Zumba classes offered in my area... But I'm a little skeptical of the authenticity. The instructors name is Ghost and he only offers the Zumba Crip version. This is the first instructional video he gave me. Whatcha think?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKwZtIeWo0&feature=related"]Hood Zumba[/YOUTUBE]

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
@Unkindloving

Yep! The yoga/pilates one starts tomorrow, then the Zumba one will be next Wednesday. I'm doing both. I've only ever done yoga and pilates with dvds at home, so I'm excited to get some personal instruction to make sure I'm doing it right.
I expect to hear all about it after today, lady! :D. Saw that you dug the other classes- awesome!
I will out Zumba you any day of the week...............ANY..............DAY....... OF........................THE..........................WEEK.
That move technology is all kinds of awesome. :laugh:

I found some Zumba classes offered in my area... But I'm a little skeptical of the authenticity. The instructors name is Ghost and he only offers the Zumba Crip version. This is the first instructional video he gave me. Whatcha think?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnKwZtIeWo0&feature=related"]Hood Zumba[/YOUTUBE]
Bull, sir! I've challenged like 4 forum members already :laugh:. I think only one was intentional.
Hmm. Does he have a.. normal name? You can go to the actual Zumba site and look up classes in your area. I'd say those are your best odds of being legit. Not sure about back-alley zumba ;)
If that's fer srs.. he needs to give you a vid where he impliments Zumba for an example. Good crip walkin- damn straight- but uh lol.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yay, we had our first Zumba class today! The description had said cardio and Zumba, so I was expecting maybe a mix of aerobics with Zumba moves, but the instructor had a bunch of cardio interval stations set up when we walked in. She did tell us to sign in and write down what we wanted out of the class, though, and a bunch of us wrote Zumba. So we started the cardio stations, and I HATED it. Luckily, an older woman pulled the instructor aside and told her that some of the moves were too hard on her joints, and that she had come expecting something more like dancing. :-D

So then the instructor realized we had mostly all come for Zumba, and we did that the rest of the time. It was SO much fun, and I daresay I was the most coordinated one there (besides the instructor, of course)! Yay. So I'm hoping we get to do that every other Wednesday from now on.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the report, Tallulah. How tough was it for you - workout wise?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for the report, Tallulah. How tough was it for you - workout wise?

It was a good cardio session, and I did sweat a lot. :D It seems to really work your abs a lot, too, since you're doing a lot of shaking and rolling and twisting.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was a good cardio session, and I did sweat a lot. :D It seems to really work your abs a lot, too, since you're doing a lot of shaking and rolling and twisting.

Nice.

Okay okay... I've decided to man up and take the Zumba class this Saturday.

Wait, that sentence sounds wrong on many levels.

What I mean is, Zumba takes me further out of my comfort zone, so I will go ahead and do that.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yay, we had our first Zumba class today! The description had said cardio and Zumba, so I was expecting maybe a mix of aerobics with Zumba moves, but the instructor had a bunch of cardio interval stations set up when we walked in. She did tell us to sign in and write down what we wanted out of the class, though, and a bunch of us wrote Zumba. So we started the cardio stations, and I HATED it. Luckily, an older woman pulled the instructor aside and told her that some of the moves were too hard on her joints, and that she had come expecting something more like dancing. :-D

So then the instructor realized we had mostly all come for Zumba, and we did that the rest of the time. It was SO much fun, and I daresay I was the most coordinated one there (besides the instructor, of course)! Yay. So I'm hoping we get to do that every other Wednesday from now on.
Haha aw. She jipped you guys at first! :) Glad you enjoyed it. Whoo! In mine, there are old ladies that have better coordination than the young people :laugh:. If it picks up near you, might see a lot of variety.
Okay okay... I've decided to man up and take the Zumba class this Saturday.

Wait, that sentence sounds wrong on many levels.

What I mean is, Zumba takes me further out of my comfort zone, so I will go ahead and do that.
:devil: Yesssss, come to the dark side. Mwahaha. :breathes all Vader-like:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You sound awfully winded. Did you just get back from Zumba?

:tongue: That'd be if I walked in my Applied Modern Health class. Zumba makes me sweat and ache more, but quick walking/running kills my breathing. Curses!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Zumba'ed today! It was really fun, though I really wish we were in a dance studio instead of the gym, because I'd like some mirrors to make sure I'm getting the moves right and not looking like a moron.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Zumba'ed today! It was really fun, though I really wish we were in a dance studio instead of the gym, because I'd like some mirrors to make sure I'm getting the moves right and not looking like a moron.

:) Yay. I actually forget that mirrors in gyms isn't likely to be a default. I've been going to my gym on/off for the past 6 years, so I'd probably wither and die in another one.
I usually get too caught up in watching an instructor or other people in the class, which helps improve what I'm doing a lot of the time.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I quite like not having the mirrors - for the same reason. :smile:

Zumba makes me sweat and ache more, but quick walking/running kills my breathing. Curses!
Really? I sweat a fair bit but it never makes me ache the next day - that's one of the things I most appreciate.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Zumba Fitness Videogame came out a few days ago! PS3, Xbox, & Wii. I likely won't be getting it until Christmas, but videos still look promising :yes:

Other tidbits: I've been trying to go as frequently as possible. It occurs to me that some Zumba-ers aren't graced with proper instructors. For some reason, my gym has maintained an influx of very devoted and likable characters. Many Zumba classes are different. Some are more focused on core work. Some are fully immersed in a latin groove. Some switch the moves every few beats to spice it up. Some keep a steady repetition you can jive with. Some are more about the booty-shaking and chest-pumping. Some focus more on the legwork. If you ever try a Zumba and it doesn't jive with you because it is too much of one of these things.. give someone else a shot if possible.
I cycle through about 5 different instructors, sometimes 7, and each of them does what they do differently than the others. It's worth it if you have the opportunity.

Also, there are other types of Zumba classes.
■Zumba—The traditional Zumba class including basic rhythms like merengue, foxtrot, salsa, cumbia, reggaeton, belly dance, waltz, flamenco, tango, samba.
■Zumba Gold—This workout is designed for adults and de-conditioned participants. It addresses the anatomical, physiological and psychological needs specific to these populations.
■Zumba Toning—This class blends body-sculpting techniques and specific Zumba moves into one class focusing on calorie-burning and strength-training. Instructors use weighted, maraca-like Zumba Toning Sticks to enhance rhythm and build strength.
■Aqua Zumba—This workshop is an all ages class similar to water aerobics. It is designed to be safe, yet effective and challenging, integrating the Zumba formula and philosophy into traditional aqua fitness disciplines.
■Zumbatomic—In September 2009, Zumba Fitness launched Zumbatomic, the first Zumba program for children. The original workout program is designed specifically for girls and boys ages 4–12 and incorporates urban dance styles like hip hop, reggaeton and pop with fundamental concepts such as coordination, discipline, confidence and teamwork.
-

One of my favorite instructors is going to attempt to acquire his Zumba Gold certificate. A group of us helped him make a 3 minute video to send in for it. The potential of helping someone obtain a goal through Zumba, while they help me obtain my goals, is an amazing feeling. To some people, working out is just working out and instructors are just there to teach a class. In certain circumstances, I view it to be a lot more and the instructors to do a lot more.
Okay, I'm corny, but shaddup :cheese:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm getting that Zumba game for the Wii this Christmas too!

I went to Zumba tonight up on the Campus' Rec Center, and after not doing it for two months, I felt a bit like a big oaf doing it. :(

I think it's all about confidence -- me I'm worrying about looking like a moron too much to have fun, I think.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
My sister's getting me the Zumba dvd set for Christmas! YAY! Does anyone have it already?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Today I realized that my only issue with moving in the future is losing out on my gym and Zumba classes that I love and adore so much :laugh:.
I'm getting that Zumba game for the Wii this Christmas too!

I went to Zumba tonight up on the Campus' Rec Center, and after not doing it for two months, I felt a bit like a big oaf doing it. :(

I think it's all about confidence -- me I'm worrying about looking like a moron too much to have fun, I think.
I've only read reviews for the Xbox one, which imply there's an update and a lot of people are 50/50 on it. I think the wii one is cute due to the belt that could make you feel like a Zumba instructor :laugh:. I definitely understand the time-zumba gap.
Recently, half of the people in my Zumba classes have the special Zumba clothing. It's adorable. :biggrin:

My sister's getting me the Zumba dvd set for Christmas! YAY! Does anyone have it already?
Yay! I downloaded a few of them a good while ago. They are good from what I can recall.

G

Ginkgo

cult   
[kuhlt]
–noun
a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
the object of such devotion.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
the members of such a religion or sect.
any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
cult   
[kuhlt]
–noun
a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
the object of such devotion.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
the members of such a religion or sect.
any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.
AHEM :dry:
Although I can agree with its cult-like qualities... you have sealed your fate in Zumba-ing with me, Mister!
You're lucky if there isn't a place super close to you that does it. :threatens: lol