• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

96% of all women think they're too fat.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
A lot of women (and men) are fat.

Not 96% though. I'd be concerned with the women who think they are, but aren't.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
it's funny when 110lb women say they're getting too fat

P

Phantonym

Is that all worth it?

Worth it? Nope. There can never be complete satisfaction no matter what you do to attain that "something". You're doomed if you do and you're doomed if you don't.

Isn't it just better to live a happy, relaxed life and accept yourself for who you are and how you look?

It is definitely better. However, there's a big difference whether you look fat or you feel fat. Those two can exist together or separately but either way, if it's something that evokes negative feelings in you, there's no happiness, relaxation or acceptance in sight unless you at least try to work towards the positive image of yourself (in this instance the focus is on weight) you have in mind.

it's funny when 110lb women say they're getting too fat

It's funny to outsiders but for the women who feel like that it's a really serious matter. As I said, no matter how much you weigh, if you feel fat, you are fat in your mind.

G

Ginkgo

I just don't understand why many men want their women to have a body like THIS (jeeze, I thought real men liked curves!):

skinny_narrowweb__300x4540.jpg

I thought the Crypt Keeper was cancelled. :shock:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The average person, male or female, is not at a state of equilibrium with regard to their balance between their metabolism, exercise, nutrition, and amount of rest.

The human race appears to be aggregating in a normal distribution of the fitness continuum, somewhere between either overly fit, or morbidly obese.

It is each person's personal responsibility to maintain their personal level of fitness. :pumpyouup:

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is true too. They're not as strong on the plow as they used to be. GF always wakes me up from my nap when she tells me she's too tired to move it anymore. :dont:

Get yourself an East German woman - she'll plow the earth whole day, then she'll plow you whole night. And face it, a sore ass is a small price to pay for a good harvest.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm not sure what it is about people that makes them want, so badly, to continuously put themselves down when it comes to the esteem of their figures.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Watch television from as recently as the early 80's. The people were smaller.

When people say Marilyn Monroe was a size 12, they neglect to understand that's approximately a size 6 by today's dress measurements.

People don't exercise enough.

On the other hand, I think the obesity epidemic has caused a sort of backlash anorexia craze...so you have these extreme contrasts of overweight and underweight instead of healthy people.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A lot of women seem hyper competitive in this regard, like fat (or lack of) is a proxy for social status or something.

I've also read about something about "fat talk" amongst women being some kind of bonding experience, so even if your relatively slim, if your friends are talking negatively about their bodies it is socially expected that you do so too.
Well that explains my lack of popularity :doh:

You are probably right though. I rather hate those discussions too. Its this silly game where women take turns saying "I'm so fat!" and everyone else protests that she's not, then she insists she is and they insist she's not, blah, blah, blah... :rolli: I especially hate it when you know someone is just saying she's fat to fish for compliments.

G

Glycerine

I am not overweight but I have been feeling a bit disgusting for some reason. However, if I lived in Korea, I would probably be considered pretty "fat" 90 lbs at 5' from what I have read.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure what it is about people that makes them want, so badly, to continuously put themselves down when it comes to the esteem of their figures.

No wanting. If you believe there is a significant problem, you feel a need to address it. I don't think such a thing is usually considered an act of wanting, though.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Is it not ridiculous? Pursuit of a spectre that is desired by no one? I've never "got it" but I've seen people "chasing the dragon" for decades. It's really sick, actually. Get real people. SRSLY! :pumpyouup:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It's not surprising most women are hard on themselves when non-fat actresses like Jennifer Love Hewitt and Mischa Barton are absolutely crucified in magazines for being a 6 instead of a 2, and for having a little cellulite. The average woman might infer from that that she's "disgusting," or a "fat-ass," too, if her body looks more like those pictures than the Hollywood ideal, where it's not acceptable to have any body fat at all.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
No wanting. If you believe there is a significant problem, you feel a need to address it. I don't think such a thing is usually considered an act of wanting, though.

Poor choice of language to you, maybe, but I feel there must be a degree of want.. If you didn't want to, at least a tiny bit, think of yourself as fat.. then either you'd have to accept that you're not, or have a doctor tell you you are, in which case you'd simply correct it.

Seriously, I don't know how many women I come across that are fine.. maybe they need to gain strength.. but this is never a concern. It's always how they look, not whether the weight they own is muscle or fat. It's okay to have a ridiculously high body fat percentage as long as you look good with it. I don't understand the standards of health women have. Girls in aerobics class carrying 1lb dumbbells because they were scared of getting 'fat' from muscle. :wacko:

I got a lot of ridicule when I said I wanted to lose weight. It wasn't that I was at an unhealthy weight.. only that I wasn't strong, and I was being lazy and unhealthy. Everyone, though, was worried that I was being hard on myself, that I was thinking of myself as fat even though I wasn't. The worry people have that this mental virus of women being fat in my family was in my head was all over the place until they saw me just lose the weight I wanted to, and maintain my health and eating habits. Only then did they calm down.

Is it not ridiculous? Pursuit of a spectre that is desired by no one? I've never "got it" but I've seen people "chasing the dragon" for decades. It's really sick, actually. Get real people. SRSLY! :pumpyouup:

+1. :hug:

It's not surprising most women are hard on themselves when non-fat actresses like Jennifer Love Hewitt and Mischa Barton are absolutely crucified in magazines for being a 6 instead of a 2, and for having a little cellulite. The average woman might infer from that that she's "disgusting," or a "fat-ass," too, if her body looks more like those pictures than the Hollywood ideal, where it's not acceptable to have any body fat at all.

I understand that mentality, until you realize 1. They get paid for their looks and body to an extent. They're actors. The way they look plays a big role in their careers. Most people are not actors, however. 2. How down on yourself do you have to be already to allow some stranger that wrote an article in a magazine about someone else to have a dramatic effect on you and the way you preceive yourself?

I hate to pick on Domino when she's not here lately.. but that woman is beautiful. I haven't met anyone on here that hasn't thought so. And yet, of the thousands of compliments that she receives from people who care, it only takes one from someone who doesn't to make her frown. It's a vicious thing... One that I cannot possibly begin to understand, to be honest.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I understand that mentality, until you realize 1. They get paid for their looks and body to an extent. They're actors. The way they look plays a big role in their careers. Most people are not actors, however. 2. How down on yourself do you have to be already to allow some stranger that wrote an article in a magazine about someone else to have a dramatic effect on you and the way you preceive yourself?

I hate to pick on Domino when she's not here lately.. but that woman is beautiful. I haven't met anyone on here that hasn't thought so. And yet, of the thousands of compliments that she receives from people who care, it only takes one from someone who doesn't to make her frown. It's a vicious thing... One that I cannot possibly begin to understand, to be honest.

I just think it cannot help but bleed over into the general public's perception of themselves. I don't think it's unusual at all these days for women to think to themselves, "Well, if people think SHE looks hideous in a bikini and she's rich and famous and beautiful, how must I look?" It's not healthy, but it happens, and we do buy into these expectations. No one wants to look at "real women" in magazines. They say they do, but they don't.

The flip side is that there are some folks who are naturally as skinny as that model someone posted, and can't gain weight if they try. I don't think we need to vilify one person's body type to glorify another. I think we need more acceptance of all body types, and more acceptance of the fact that some of us might be fit but not muscle-y, and some of us might have cellulite, and some of us might be naturally thin on the upper half where (gasp!) you can see a rib poking out, and some of us might gain weight but not get huge boobs, etc. It's funny that when people try to be "accepting of real women," all they really mean is that they want to see women who are a few pounds heavier than stick figure size, who gain weight evenly, still look uber-fit, and just have boobs and a little bit of a butt. In other words, something like the still-unattainable ideal of a Salma Hayek.

G

Glycerine

I got a lot of ridicule when I said I wanted to lose weight. It wasn't that I was at an unhealthy weight.. only that I wasn't strong, and I was being lazy and unhealthy. Everyone, though, was worried that I was being hard on myself, that I was thinking of myself as fat even though I wasn't. The worry people have that this mental virus of women being fat in my family was in my head was all over the place until they saw me just lose the weight I wanted to, and maintain my health and eating habits. Only then did they calm down.

Right now this how I feel. I feel best in the low 80's and I have let myself go in eating heathy. If I personally go up to 95-100 lbs, I feel extremely sluggish and unhealthy. What may be anorexic for one person, may be someone's optimum.

yeah, I agree. She's definitely up there. Many females would kill to look like her.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm starting to think I should just make a whole thread on low self-esteem and self-deprecation.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Right now this how I feel. I feel best in the low 80's and I have let myself go in eating heathy. If I personally go up to 95-100 lbs, I feel extremely sluggish and unhealthy. What may be anorexic for one person, may be someone's optimum.

This is cooresponding well with Tall's "accept all body types" thing. I agree entirely. What's healthy for you should be healthy. Doctor approved should be people approved, imo.

I'm the exact opposite, I get told by the army all the time that I need to be taped for my body fat percentage. I don't look nearly what I weigh, people always guess I'm 110-120 (Although I think 60% of that is them being nice and picking safe numbers :laugh:) and then get shocked when I tell them I'm usually 135-140. 130 lbs. when I'm at my leanest and hitting the weights a lot. 120 lbs. made me look so sickly and thin people thought I had contracted a virus overseas when I came home. :doh: It's just the body type and how the weight works on you.