• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

High fat breakfast may reduce metablic syndrome

heart

heart on fire
Hearty Breakfast Reduces Metabolic Syndrome

Hearty Breakfast Reduces Metabolic Syndrome
03/31/2010

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Eating a high-fat breakfast instead of a high-fat dinner may help ward off metabolic syndrome disorders including obesity, insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease, according to new research from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

The study, published online March 30 in the International Journal of Obesity, examined the influence exerted by the type of foods and specific timing of intake on the development of metabolic syndrome characteristics in mice. The findings revealed that mice fed a meal higher in fat after waking had normal metabolic profiles. In contrast, mice that ate a more carbohydrate-rich diet in the morning and consumed a high-fat meal at the end of the day saw increased weight gain, adiposity, glucose intolerance and other markers of the metabolic syndrome.

"Studies have looked at the type and quantity of food intake, but nobody has undertaken the question of whether the timing of what you eat and when you eat it influences body weight, even though we know sleep and altered circadian rhythms influence body weight," said the study's lead author Molly Bray, PhD, professor of epidemiology in the UAB School of Public Health...

Researchers found that fat intake at the time of waking seems to turn on fat metabolism very efficiently and also turns on the animal's ability to respond to different types of food later in the day. When the animals were fed carbohydrates upon waking, carbohydrate metabolism was turned on and seemed to stay on even when the animal was eating different kinds of food later in the day.

"The first meal you have appears to program your metabolism for the rest of the day," said study senior author Martin Young, PhD, associate professor of medicine in the UAB Division of Cardiovascular Disease. "This study suggests that if you ate a carbohydrate-rich breakfast it would promote carbohydrate utilization throughout the rest of the day, whereas, if you have a fat-rich breakfast, you have metabolic plasticity to transfer your energy utilization between carbohydrate and fat."

Source: Bacon or Bagels? Higher Fat at Breakfast May Be Healthier Than You Think, Says UAB Research

heart

heart on fire
I usually eat non-oily fish for breakfast, I wonder if that has enough fat to work?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Confirms my habit of eating pizza early in the mornings for breakfast.

I heard that if your poop floats, then it's a good one. Why? Because fat floats. Basically, there is blocked absorption of fat in the intestinal walls, so the excretion consists of mostly bile with lipids.

How to achieve this? i think I read it in Dr. Ozz's book- eat low-fat yoghurt (not- non fat). It helps with the blockage. If you take Vitamin E and fish-oil tablets, then I don't know if it gets absorbed or passed through in this case.:D

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
Mhmmmm I looove English breakfast and I have it at least twice a week!

lopez

Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors for heart disease and stroke, including abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, insulin resistance.I don't know that High fat breakfast may reduce metablic syndrome.Thanks to give advice.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
vomit @ fat on breakfast. i feel clogged for the whole day if I do that