• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help - Sleep Troubles

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For the previous 6 weeks, I've been going to bed at something like 11 and getting up at 7 every morning, and on the weekends, I might shift that forwards one hour (12 to 8). But for some reason, I've been incredibly tired all the time, no matter what I do. At first I thought perhaps it was just excercise and diet, then I started eating and excercising better (cardio in the afternoons, plenty of fruits, always have had plenty of veg, dairy etc.), and the problem still persisted. I googled this stuff a while ago, and they suggested much of what I've already done, but they did make me think...

Every now and then, I'm woken up by my dad's car at 5.30 am, which starts litterally 1 meter away from my head. I've usually just ignored this and gone back to sleep, so much so that I suspect that it's woken me up EVERY single morning! With the exception of the weekends, which I sleep really well. Needless to say, I just moved my bed to the other side of the room (which took me three hours, I have a rather large room). And then I changed my sleeping pattern to sleep at about 9.30pm, get up at 5.30, when the car leaves and wakes me up. Now, first time I've done this, and I couldn't sleep for about an hour (despite being beyond tired, almost zombie like), and I woke up LONG BEFORE 5.30 am! And now I'm tired and haven't had enough sleep. I can't keep doing this, I need to study at uni, this has been stuffing me up for so long because I just can't focus at all in the afternoon. Any tips or advice would be great. :)

Windigo

Have you been checked for sleep apnea? My doctor recently told me that as many as 1 in 4 people suffer from it without realizing it.

lamp

yeah, sleep apnea: if you ever dream about being aboard sinking ships, planes crash-landing over the ocean, or hiding from a killer with a nail-studded bat in an echoing container warehouse, talk to your doctor.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Umm.. I've having the same problem.

Ever heard about stressing over sleep, and therefore, loosing sleep?

I was so stressed one time that I had a dream that my alarm clock went off. It was 4 a.m. Chayzus Kryste!

I recommend melatonin pills (temporarily though- it does alter hormones, I think). Also, some people need 6 or 7, while 8 makes them sleepy, less is actually more.

Turning on the lights at night helps me to fall asleep faster. Maybe you can try. Sunlight actually makes me sleepy, so maybe a little bit of light therapy may help? Maybe not the computer screen though. :(

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, now I think I'm actually somewhat less tired today than I was yesterday... I think maybe if I stick to getting up at 5.30, I'll be fine, I just have to adjust. That's a pain in the ass though, but it's do-able, just need some serious willpower :). Thanks to you all.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
consider getting your thyroid hormone levels checked
This is good advice. If the problem persists, you should look into this. As far as diet goes, I would actually go easy on the dairy. A lot of people find their bodies don't respond well to it, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's contributing to your problems. If energy is an issue, up the fruit or go heavy on legumes. Both are good sources of carbohydrates and potassium. You might also consider a B-vitamin supplement, or just a good multi-vitamin, and if you drink caffeinated beverages, try to cut them out.

Being on a set schedule is usually really helpful, so if the time you've been waking up or going to sleep is in flux, that can lead to temporary problems like the one you describe. Hopefully you've got it mostly figured out now.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is good advice. If the problem persists, you should look into this. As far as diet goes, I would actually go easy on the dairy. A lot of people find their bodies don't respond well to it, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's contributing to your problems. If energy is an issue, up the fruit or go heavy on legumes. Both are good sources of carbohydrates and potassium. You might also consider a B-vitamin supplement, or just a good multi-vitamin, and if you drink caffeinated beverages, try to cut them out.

Being on a set schedule is usually really helpful, so if the time you've been waking up or going to sleep is in flux, that can lead to temporary problems like the one you describe. Hopefully you've got it mostly figured out now.

wow, funny that, a large chunk of my diet is dairy and caffine lol. I have fruit covered, legumes on the other hand... I might have to eat a can of em' popeye style :laugh: I'll add those changes if I can, though I have in the past had a lot of dairy, and it doesn't seem to have much of an effect... I could be wrong. thanks

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Do you eat organic food? I found that when I started to eat mostly organic food, like at least 80% of the time, I felt generally much, much better. It is stressful for your body to process and clean out all the chemicals and toxins and such. I don't know about sleep, but I found that after a while of eating mostly organic I am much more sensitive to what my body wants and needs, like it talks in a way. Just an idea that if you are maybe out of touch with knowing what you need to take care of yourself, you might be able to identify better what is disturbing you if you detox.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Could be sleep apnea. But usually sleep related problems is linked to anxiety and depression.

leosmith678

MBTI Type
sfsf
Enneagram
dfds
A man without sleep is getting completely disturbed and shattered. I would suggest you to get complete body check up . also you Yoga and meditation will greatly help you. Also would like to give some suggestions:
1) eat well
2) keep your body fresh and clean
3) drink hot milk before sleeping.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Haha, can totally relate. I can't sleep at all. I have to wait all night until I'm actually comfortable sleeping, as of now it's 6 am and I'm still up, but I have issues with falling asleep and staying asleep, which is weird.
No matter how exhausted I am, I cannot sleep for the life of me, but when I do eventually pass out after 6 hours of trying to sleep, I jump right back up freaking out about 'omg am I late for this? What time is it? What day is it? Did I have anything to do?' and I can't stop it no matter what.
What helps me sometimes is a cup of decaffinated mint tea and some classic rock.
Eating more veggies might help too, maybe with some turkey. Tryptophan goes great with vitamin A!