• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

trying to quit smoking; your experiences?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been smoking regularly for about 2 years now, I go through about a pack of 20 cigarettes in 3-4 days, faster if I'm hanging out with my smoker buddies. I used to smoke primarily because my friends smoked so much, and we all sort of made it worse for each other- all of us smoke on our own when we're alone, too.

recently the heaviest smoker of the group (and most socially dominant) went overseas to study, and I thought it coincided with a nice time for me to cut down. I've always been an agnostic of sorts- i know it's bad for me, but i really like it and i haven't found a good enough reason to quit.

finally i've decided i'm going to do it as a test of mental fortitude more than anything else. your experiences, guys?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did that mental fortitude thing once. Quit for about a year.
It's nice to have a cigarette every now and then, though.
I'm taking a break from it all right now, though, because i've started working out seriously.

The withdrawal part is definitely worst. My appetite goes up from big to EAT WORLD, I get impatient and such.
Distraction (computer games, books, movies, tv series), social isolation and complete avoidance of stores for a couple of days at least is more or less mandatory.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Electric cigarettes.

I really didn't see myself quitting normal cigs anytime soon, but then I started on these, just to try them out, and I've never thought about going back since.

I still get nicotine, but it comes in vapor, not smoke. In fact, I'm probably getting more nicotine now, because it's so easy to puff on without stopping. And now tobacco smoke grosses me out, I feel retarded for doing it for so long.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
It took my father a decade or so to quit. The difficulty he had was convincing himself that it was worth the tradeoffs. For him, smoking was a destresser, and it helped his weight. It took until he ran across a half-year or so of uninturrupted low stress to finally kick it. So I guess my advice would be to consider why you're doing it and start on a high note of motivation. Don't just do it for the sake of it.

The cost in long-term health is absolutely brutal. My aunt is dying of lung cancer at the moment. She'll be dead within two weeks, no chance of recovery. Heavy smoker. That would be motivation enough for me.

Good luck!

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Electric cigarettes.

I really didn't see myself quitting normal cigs anytime soon, but then I started on these, just to try them out, and I've never thought about going back since.

I still get nicotine, but it comes in vapor, not smoke. In fact, I'm probably getting more nicotine now, because it's so easy to puff on without stopping. And now tobacco smoke grosses me out, I feel retarded for doing it for so long.

i tried those before! it was fun for a while but for me i actually really enjoy the little things like the smell of the burning, the warmth and heat of the cigarette, and even the smell of tobacco. i like to roll my own tobacco. lol

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
when this happens, do you buy them yourself or bum from others? :O

I buy them myself of course! If i'm in a situation where I can't possibly go buy any, I will possibly bum one or two and give back either cigarettes or money.
Can't stand being in debt or bumming off of others.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i quit several months ago. i had been smoking since i was maybe 13 or 14, and quitting was pretty hard at first. after a little while it gets a lot easier though. after a while it becomes more and more about guarding against these silly lapses in judgment, rather than dealing with intense cravings.

i started chewing on pencils, a lot. haha, it was really a help to me though. i still chew on pencils all the time.
i also know chewing gum helps some people while quitting.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
i'm doing pretty okay, i think.

3 days ago: 3 sticks
2 days ago: 4 sticks
yesterday: 1 stick
today: 0 sticks