• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Skinny Supermodel Gene

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My rear is about the only place I have any padding.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hee hee, I'm tempted to crack a joke about 'junk in the trunk' but I'm sure your husband already tells you that. :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hee hee, I'm tempted to crack a joke about 'junk in the trunk' but I'm sure your husband already tells you that. :D
Not so much with words, but I get the impression were I wearing right pair of jeans, I could get him to follow me to the ends of the earth. :devil:

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have really squared, manly shoulders xD...
Pretty average otherwise...5' 7", 130lbs currently and 120-125lbs in summer when I lose muscle mass (LOL). 36C LOL I also have very long feet and hands...I wear size 9 1/2 to 11 in women's shoes @_@. So yeah...I'm pretty..huge.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have really squared, manly shoulders xD...
Pretty average otherwise...5' 7", 130lbs currently and 120-125lbs in summer when I lose muscle mass (LOL). 36C LOL I also have very long feet and hands...I wear size 9 1/2 to 11 in women's shoes @_@. So yeah...I'm pretty..huge.

Wow, you kids grow up FAST these days! Day-amn, we even have a lot of the same measurements (!!!). I have manly shoulders too. That's awesome you seem to also have the Brickhouse gene. Haahaha. You aren't huge, you have supermodel aspirations! You're very proportional, I couldn't tell at all from your pics how tall you are and you don't look 'huge' at all.

I was made very self-conscious in highschool since it was 95% Asian and the girls were very petite and always dieting. Actually, this describes the country I was living in too. My mom was always trying to get me on diets even when I was 5'7 and 125. :thumbdown: The girls in my class averaged a good 4 inches shorter and 15-25 pounds less than me. Especially when I wore my green rain jacket, I felt like the Jolly Green Giant!!! My friends would even call me that hahahaah, those bastards.

Just take this as an old woman cheering on your growth spurt! We need more Irena Paevna types. There's nothing wrong at all with being petite, but
I like being a sturdier built taller Asian woman. It's also helpful in martial arts and sports. My cousin is also very muscularly built, she's in middle school, is big enough to wear adult sized clothing, and a championship swimmer. I seriously think she's going to make it to the Olympics. Those broad shoulders really do come in handy. :yes:

BTW I was always the tallest person in my class (boys and girls) until the tweens hit. I was 5'5 by age 13 and only grew 2 inches more after that. I wanted to be taller though and would do special stretches and eat lots of calcium...

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
My dad was the scrawny one; the article claims this gene can only be passed on by mothers.

Although I was always a "normal" weight, when I got sick (think Africa + hair falling out + year of sleeping 24/7) I wasn't able to gain weight. And I still can't do it.

My mom is getting really concerned about me and keeps handing me juice/pop drinks/making me eat all the time (i'm literally not allowed to go to bed unless i've eaten a 2nd supper now, she's that concerned about my weight).

I'm sort of
a) fascinated in the very INTJ way about how something as seemingly obvious as weight (input is related to what remains?) can be so dramatically different
b) starting to get nervous over my inability to find a healthy weight like something might be wrong.

You should look into hyperthyroidism. If you are really eating as much crap as you're saying you are there might be something wrong.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
You're scrawnier than me.

My problem is that I didn't used to be this way before I got sick. I used to be able to get hipchecked on skates and hold my own against big guys (assuming it was a "nice, for a girl, not wearing hockey equipment" hipcheck instead of a guy to guy hipcheck in full dress) and now as soon as I get bumped into I go flying b/c I have nothing to hold me down.

Going from 128 lbs to 117ish (I top out aruond 120 now, but generally 117 lbs) is a huge difference in my ability to play sports or just lift things or something. I dislike being this scrawny.

NOT plump! I'm 5'4 116lbs and look horrible if I drop any weight whatsoever! :D

The boobs are a plus though, and I wear average size clothes, but I just can't be skinny. The few times I have been, I've looked extremely sick just a few pounds down from my optimal weight.

I think a lot of it depends on your bone structure, too. Someone with solid, thick bones is simply going to look skeletal, were they my weight and height. But with petite bones, you are fortunate enough to look slim, but still healthy.

And Usehername, I agree with gretch (and several others on here). Your weight doesn't seem healthy for you. There may well be some underlying condition, though I don't know enough (read: anything) about those sorts of things to suggest anything you might look into. :/

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think a lot of it depends on your bone structure, too. Someone with solid, thick bones is simply going to look skeletal, were they my weight and height. But with petite bones, you are fortunate enough to look slim, but still healthy.
I think this is very true. I have a very small frame and can have a few curves while not weighing much. My husband has a large, sturdy frame and looks very nice at a weight the chart in the doctor's office calls overweight.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Are you on any vitamin supplements, Ushername? I hope you keep pushing your doctor to keep looking into your weight loss issues. Gretch, hyperthyroidism is something that came to my mind, too. My mom suffers from hypothyroidism, and a friend of mine suffers from hyperthyroidism.

I'm the short stuff in my family: 5'2
Currently, I'm proportionally built and curvey in the right places.

When I was younger, I was sturdy and athletic, and I hated my weight (110)! I had slim hips, so I always thought I looked like a boy (well, I had slim hips until I had children).

Thankfully, I am now happy with my size and shape, even though I weigh a lot more than I did back then. It's funny how time has helped me accept my body image.

I can't imagine wanting to be "skinny" on purpose like the models I see on the runways.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Then next time I want to render a room full of women instantly insecure, I will be sure to mention this gene.

Usehername

On a mission
Then next time I want to render a room full of women instantly insecure, I will be sure to mention this gene.

lol

"...it's preetttyy much equivalent to being assigned an eye color. all you ladies a'int got no chance. nature is fascinating, huh!"

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not seeing any difference between this gene and ectomorphism?

It's no different than the really skinny guys you see except the girls have a smaller frame.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
my mom is super skinny and my sisters are super skinny.
i somehow didn't inherit this wonderful gene.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
yeah but you have boobs. i lose 2 pounds and can't fill out an A cup.

yeah i guess thats true. I fill out a G cup, and they barely fill up A cups.
but id still rather be super skinny WITH boobs.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
An acquaintance of mine is spindly, and given her present line of work would be modeling were she taller than five foot four. She has a few congenital weaknesses, however, including poor circulation; and I do believe she was at one time accused of depriving herself, so to speak.

For your data collection.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I choose quality of life over longevity.

burning the candle on both ends, eh?

OP, another datapoint for you:

Could be true, but environment probably does play a big part too?

Women on one side of my family are tiny. I'm probably shorter than everyone else here *lol*. Have always been petite, though the figure is there (think hourglass, though a pocket-sized hourglass). . Some guys do tell me I'm too thin. But they're surprised at how much I eat (pfft. go figure). .

Have never dieted, eat regular meals and love food. But have been the same weight for the last 10 years give or take a few pounds. Did try to put on more weight, but once I fell sick/got stressed, it'd drop off to the norm. . .

Apart from that, no ill-health though. . Exercise. . I dance about 3 - 5 hours a week, sometimes up to 10 depending on how moody/in need of release I am, but that's about it. . .