• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shampoo free?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I still like the WEN. I did have to take a break from it, though- my hair would get stiff after a day, and I normally go at least two days between washings. But if I throw in a regular shampooing every couple of weeks it resets the clock. I probably just need to get a different formula of WEN- the one I have is the Tea Tree Oil one. I'd still like to try Hair One.

That Philip B stuff better cook dinner and clean the house at that price!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I still like the WEN. I did have to take a break from it, though- my hair would get stiff after a day, and I normally go at least two days between washings. But if I throw in a regular shampooing every couple of weeks it resets the clock. I probably just need to get a different formula of WEN- the one I have is the Tea Tree Oil one. I'd still like to try Hair One.

That Philip B stuff better cook dinner and clean the house at that price!

I've noticed from talking to a lot of shampoo-free curly haired women that some people just need a good shampooing to re-set every once in a while.

I've tried the Sweet Almond Mint and Pomegranate kinds, and this time I ordered Lavender, b/c I hear it's good for fine hair. Will let y'all know!

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Has anyone done the bicarb/apple cider vinegar thing? I think I'm going to try it.

Honestly, anyone who's trying a variation on shampoo-free, I'd be interested to read updates and feedback.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Has anyone done the bicarb/apple cider vinegar thing? I think I'm going to try it.

Honestly, anyone who's trying a variation on shampoo-free, I'd be interested to read updates and feedback.

I think a few folks were talking about it upthread. My sister tried it and it kinda took all the shine out of her hair. Her hairdresser noticed and asked her what she'd been doing. Others have done okay with it. I don't think I'd ACV it with every washing, though.

My hair's so processed that it'd be like straw if I didn't drown it in conditioner, so I've been too scared to try anything too experimental.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Coconut oil could be an interesting addition to a shampoo-free regimen. I guess.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've done the apple cider vinegar thing, but my hair felt pretty greasy still and not extra shiny, nor did it bring out the red highlights. I don't think it did any harm, but it wasn't a fix for me.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My hair is beginning to get dry from shampooing and I hate it. I'd like to stop it before I lose shine. The problem is I can't go more than 2 days without shampooing though or it gets gross, so I don't know what the solution is yet.

Are you guys using the WEN cleansing conditioner? Maybe I'll try that.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
My hair is beginning to get dry from shampooing and I hate it. I'd like to stop it before I lose shine. The problem is I can't go more than 2 days without shampooing though or it gets gross, so I don't know what the solution is yet.

Are you guys using the WEN cleansing conditioner? Maybe I'll try that.

Yep--it's made a big difference in my hair. Try it, and see how you like it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does the WEN stuff "last" longer than regular shampoo? My hair tends to look noticeably greasy about 24hours after washing, even though I don't use conditioner above my neckline. I usually get lazy and put it in a ponytail for the second day but it's irritating. I don't want to wash it every day since it takes forever to dry (very fine, very straight and quite long)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Does the WEN stuff "last" longer than regular shampoo? My hair tends to look noticeably greasy about 24hours after washing, even though I don't use conditioner above my neckline. I usually get lazy and put it in a ponytail for the second day but it's irritating. I don't want to wash it every day since it takes forever to dry (very fine, very straight and quite long)

It does for a lot of people. I remember when I first went from shampoo to WEN, my hair was oiler faster, but then it adjusted and I can go 2, sometimes 3 days before it needs washing again.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I use bar soap (actual soap, not the a bar of SLS. Currently I'm using an olive oil lavender soap from Kiss My Face, but sometimes when it gets grungy I'll use ivory soap) and follow that by dumping diluted vinegar on my head to rinse away the soap scum. I also use conditioner as I normally would. I have very fine hair, and absurdly sensitive skin. Using SLS shampoo caused tons of flaking and really limp hair because my scalp was so sad. My hair is a bit nicer looking than before, but mostly I can now wear black shirts. Also, it takes about a week to get greasy now.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I wash my hair once a week with various products, but straighten almost daily. It works out well for me and my dry/thick/wavy/poufy/dandruffy hair. I went 2 weeks without washing my hair, and it felt pretty good... My hair was super nourished.

I would die without conditioner though...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I bought DermOrganic conditioning shampoo and masque. It's supposedly sulfate-free, silicone-free and has argan oil in it. I'll report back with results.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
BMC's Hippie Journal

I've been washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a couple weeks now, gradually weaning myself off shampoo.

Day One

A day when I don't have to go anywhere, so if my hair is a disaster, no big deal. Inside an empty shampoo bottle, I mixed a tbsp of baking soda with a cup of water. In another empty bottle, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (ACV) and a cup of water for conditioner. I added a couple drops of lemon juice to cover the vinegar smell.

Got my hair wet, shook up the bottle with the bicarb to mix it thoroughly, and ... totally forgot about the chemical reaction. I opened the bottle and it shot right into my face. Guh. Rinsed my eyes out, shook it again, let it settle for a couple seconds. What comes out looks and feels like water, and it's really weird to rub it into my hair without getting a lather. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Anyway, I rinse out my hair and apply the ACV mixture, sort of smoothing it in -- this has some texture, it feels more familiar -- wash normally, and rinse my hair again at the end.

When I got out and looked in the mirror, I expected some sort of revelation: my hair would look amazing, like I'd been mistreating it for years and was finally doing it right -- or it would look awful, like it hadn't been cleaned at all. It looked normal. It looked just like it always does. In a way, I guess that's a win for shampoo-free, but kind of a letdown. One way or the other, I anticipated dramatic results.

Anyway, the plan is to wash my hair less often -- every 36 hours -- and gradually go longer and longer without shampoo. My next shower, I washed my hair normally, but then the next two got the bicarb/ACV routine, then shampoo, then three without, then four, etc.

I've done this five times now. I think my hair looks a little less shiny than when I use shampoo, but it's tough to tell. It doesn't smell like vinegar, which I worried about. To this point, I haven't noticed any differences from "real" shampoo, but I'm taking it slow.

My hair is pretty short, so I'm going through my supplies slowly. I'm maybe halfway through my tablespoon of ACV, so a bottle of the stuff will last me for ages. The baking soda I'm going through a little faster, I think because I just can't convince myself I'm getting my hair clean with the watery mix. Maybe I'll up the ratio of bicarb, but it's not supposed to feel gritty. It's just a little disconcerting. I'm trying to take better care of my hair, not mess it up.

Interested to hear everyone else's experiences, whatever method you're using. :yes:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BMC, thanks for play-by-play. Does your hair feel and look clean after washing with that?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
BMC, my sister lost a lot of shine when she was doing the baking soda/ASV rinse method. Her hairdresser noticed and asked her what she was doing to her hair. Don't know if it works for some and not for others?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
This past month I've been using Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture shamp/condit every three days. I likes it.

It doesn't seem to "strip" your hair like other products. The shampoo doesn't get super foamy and the conditioner doesn't get super thick.

Of course, that only makes me use more. :D

I enjoy the feel of my roots after washing with it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been giving this BS/ACV a try, out of curiosity. I had no idea how to apply the stuff though, and I'm too lazy to try to google it. The first try was a total experiment in stupidity- I tried pouring some baking soda directly on to my wet hair. I had to use shampoo to get it out. Second attempt: poured some baking soda in my hair dry, and tried brushing it out with boar hair brush before rinsing out the rest in shower. I haven't tried using nothing at all yet, so I'm not sure if the baking soda did anything (nothing to compare it to). I just know it didn't work as well as shampoo. My hair felt especially tangly, like it does when I only get it wet.

With the vinegar- I actually used equal parts vinegar and water. And it actually worked pretty well, as far as giving some shine and smoothness. Of course, with that ratio, it also stinks. I'll have to try with a smaller vinegar/water ratio.

I have really long hair, and not-so-great water pressure, so this no shampoo business might not be feasible for me.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
BMC, thanks for play-by-play. Does your hair feel and look clean after washing with that?
It looks and feels the same as when I use shampoo. Nothing is greasy or itchy or stringy. I think it looks perfectly clean without knocking my socks off, maybe a little dry or less shiny, though it's tough to tell -- I'm paying more attention to my hair than usual, looking for flaws. If I was doing something important where I needed to look particularly nice, at this point I would use shampoo. But day-to-day, it looks normal, clean, and people who know I'm trying it say they haven't noticed a difference. Have you tried the DermOrganic stuff yet?

BMC, my sister lost a lot of shine when she was doing the baking soda/ASV rinse method. Her hairdresser noticed and asked her what she was doing to her hair. Don't know if it works for some and not for others?
Yeah, I remember you mentioned that, and it's part of why I'm trying to be cautious and take it slowly. Nothing terrible so far, but I'm trying to keep an eye out. How long did she go before her hair started to show the ill effects?

I've been giving this BS/ACV a try, out of curiosity. I had no idea how to apply the stuff though, and I'm too lazy to try to google it. The first try was a total experiment in stupidity- I tried pouring some baking soda directly on to my wet hair. I had to use shampoo to get it out. Second attempt: poured some baking soda in my hair dry, and tried brushing it out with boar hair brush before rinsing out the rest in shower. I haven't tried using nothing at all yet, so I'm not sure if the baking soda did anything (nothing to compare it to). I just know it didn't work as well as shampoo. My hair felt especially tangly, like it does when I only get it wet.
I did some hunting around on the internet, the standard ratio seems to 1 tbsp baking soda to 1 cup of water, mixed beforehand -- the empty shampoo bottle works fine for me (though it would be easier to measure in the baking soda if the bottle had a wider mouth or if I used a funnel). I'm still not sure I'm doing this part right, but I sort of smooth the mixture into my hair and just knead my scalp with my fingers (which feels really weird without a lather).

Is it mean that I smiled imagining you dumping baking soda onto your head? :wink: At least you didn't blast yourself in the face with it like I did.

With the vinegar- I actually used equal parts vinegar and water. And it actually worked pretty well, as far as giving some shine and smoothness. Of course, with that ratio, it also stinks. I'll have to try with a smaller vinegar/water ratio.
I've been pretty happy with the ACV, using just a tbsp per cup of water (that's what, 1:16?), and my hair doesn't smell like vinegar at all. I might try 2 tbsp instead of one on my next batch. A 1:1 ratio would be really acidic -- it didn't hurt your scalp?

I have really long hair, and not-so-great water pressure, so this no shampoo business might not be feasible for me.
I'm not sure I understand why water pressure is an issue. The bicarb/ACV don't seem any harder to rinse out than regular shampoo and conditioner. Was it an issue for you?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried the mix-with-water-first approach to the baking soda, and went down to about 1:4 with the vinegar last night. Interestingly, I think brushing it dry through my hair did more than pouring the already-wet concoction into it. Now that it's dry, it doesn't feel as clean as when I brushed the dry baking soda through it. I always brush my hair first, so it isn't the brushing that made a difference. I didn't use much baking soda though, so I'll try a thicker mix next time. Brushing the dry stuff through it was messy.

I liked how clean my hair felt when I brushed the dry baking soda through it- after it dried anyway. It felt clean until it was time to wash it again (every other day), cleaner than it usually does with shampoo. I just didn't like the way it felt in the shower, it's hard to rinse out, but I can get used to that. It does make my scalp feel better than shampoo.

The 1:1 didn't hurt my scalp (though it did hurt like a motherf## when it ran down into my eye). It did stink, however. The 1:4 seems to work okay, but not as well. I used about 1/4 cup. And it doesn't stink this time. I was really surprised, actually, at how easy it was to comb through my hair with the vinegar. My hair is thick, wavy and goes down to my ass- so I've always had trouble finding something to keep it detangled without the -one ingredients. It isn't as shiny- but again, that's something I can get used to if it ultimately dries my hair out less.

And yeah, water pressure is an issue. It 's likely because of the thickness/length of my hair. It takes forever to rinse regular shampoo and conditioner out. And I am finding it a bit more difficult to rinse the baking soda out. I think regular shampoo makes it easier to run my fingers through it, in comparison- so that's got a lot to do with it. The vinegar is actually easier to rinse out than reg conditioner.