• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I retain water?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, this may seem like an odd request.

I was at a yoga class where the temperature was 105 degrees (F) and 40-60% humidity. I tried to drink water before class as recommended, but I kept pissing it out about five minutes after I drank it. I spent most of the 90 minutes on the floor trying not to black out. It's nearly three hours later and I'm still a bit dizzy, I'm surprised I was able to drive home.

If I were to try this again, how would I retain water? What can I do now, even? I still feel kind of dizzy.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Umm.. You can't.. really, and still make the water useful to your body.
You should bring water with you and drink while you are there. Gatorade may be the other best option, so you are replacing your fluid along with electrolytes and your body can maintain better balance.

I'm not a big sports guru, but they are the best tips I know.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it possible that hot room yoga is not the yoga for you? I would try to find an environment more friendly to my body than try to adapt my body to an environment that makes it dizzy.

(I don't know the answer -- I have the same problem -- I used to faint in karate class because I would dehydrate before anybody else did.)

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
drink throughout your exercising period. also you may need to increase foods that increase water retention like salt. salt is the only one i'm sure that helps to retain water.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
drink throughout your exercising period. also you may need to increase foods that increase water retention like salt. salt is the only one i'm sure that helps to retain water.

Yea, but then your not really using the water for your brain and such which needs it during exercise. You're just kind of carrying it around with the salt.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
because you also need salt.... Eat soem crisp, drink some water, then do yoga...

Sweat contains water and salt

you may be over dooing the water

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think your body was trying to tell you something. If the temperature in the environment is more than one's body temperature. 98.7 degrees

It is not wise to workout. In fact that's begging for a heat stroke.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are personal difference in tolerance to heat (I suffer in the heat more than many) but some of it is acclimation. You may need to spend some shorter periods of time in the heat not exercising before you spend long periods of the time exercising.

I recommend googling for "Bikram Yoga heat exhaustion" and reading articles like this:

Yoga Journal - Yoga Asana Columns - Facing the Heat

That make suggestions on how to handle the heat. Heat exhaustion is a serious matter, so if you need to get out and cool down, do so.

(Personally, exercising in those temperatures would be my ideal of hell, but some people really love it.)

sculpting

I took bikram for a few months. The first several sessions really suck due to the heat/humidity and so many of the movements making you place your arms above your head or head behind your back-both causing drops in blood pressure. I acclimated after about two weeks.

Water levels are set via ADH and seem to vary from person to person. Your brain regulates the water to sodium levels via changes in ADH and thus signals to the kidneys to dump or retain water to make the balance correct. Your brain is very sensitive to sodium/water levels. As you drink more water, you dilute the sodium, your brain compensates and dumpes the water back out. If you eat a bunch of salt, the sodium becomes concentrated and your barin signals thirst.

In general if you are prone to chronic fatigue, faintness or lightheadedness at times, increasing salt levels is one thing physicians suggest.

eat pickles, raman noodles, chicken noodle soup-all very high in salt and see if you feel better.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Okay, this may seem like an odd request.

I was at a yoga class where the temperature was 105 degrees (F) and 40-60% humidity. I tried to drink water before class as recommended, but I kept pissing it out about five minutes after I drank it. I spent most of the 90 minutes on the floor trying not to black out. It's nearly three hours later and I'm still a bit dizzy, I'm surprised I was able to drive home.

If I were to try this again, how would I retain water? What can I do now, even? I still feel kind of dizzy.
How much water do you typically drink in a day? And not just on training days.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A long distance runner I knew used to eat alot of pickles for the salt.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Drink a sport drink like Gatorade in conjunction to water, so like a bottle of each.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apple juice + mineral water is rich in elecrolytes.
If you can get it, try alcohol free wheat beer (recommended by a former sports teacher of mine).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I agree with water that has a bit more stuff in it. Also, we were taught when you first start drinking the "recommended" amount of water, you have to piss all the time, and you feel waterlogged and stuff.. It takes about 2 weeks for your system to adjust and have a 'breakthrough' of some sort to adjust to the new water intake. Drink a consistent amount of water everyday and stick with it to help your body adjust to it all. Right now it may be thinking you're just giving it too much.. much the way a body clings to food instead of burning it if you don't eat regularly.

RicPTmc

MBTI Type
DNA
Instinctual Variant
sx
eat gelatine...
carefull with the sugar

retoric: "what happens to a fruit after it matures?"