• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating and Drinking Poison

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
still it's not poison, and the fact is yeah the amount the average person consumes probably isn't good but to cut sugar out totally is ridiculous. If cheez-its and chocolate bars get banned, is life worth living?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think anyone is going to ban sugar. I do think it might be a good idea, though, if the banning or limiting of high fructose corn syrup in many products follows the way of trans fats.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm fine with high fructose corn syrup being banned, but actual sugar why would anyone do that??? I actually find making copy cat recipes and using actually sugar makes them taste like the product but 56 times better.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Juice isn't bad for you. Don't be stupid.

It's refined white sugar and high fructose corn syrup. I find the excessive use of high fructose corn syrup to be a significant part of the reason why people are so fucking fat. I think high fructose corn syrup is THE DEVIL.

Cutting refined white sugar out of your diet is also a really easy way to lose weight. Not to mention avoiding diabetes in the long term.

There are other alternatives, like honey, brown rice syrup, organic cane syrup, stevia, xylitol, and even Splenda that are better.

Juice may as well be a Pepsi.

Juice As Bad As Soda, Docs Say - CBS News

The alternatives list is nice, I just use honey aka "bee barf" :cheese:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
why not drink no sugar added juice? that's what i do i find with out the fizzies, sugared juice is too sweet. I mean no sugar added juice is equal to eating fruit. plus you don't have to chew which is even better.

P

Phantonym

I don't agree with cutting out carbs. Our bodies NEED carbs. It's "bad" carbs like white bread that are the culprit (other than sugar). Eat brown bread. Eat brown rice. Buy products with whole grains and extra fiber.

I agree. You shouldn't cut out carbs but you should balance carbs with protein, fat, vitamins etc. Foods with low glycemic index (wholegrains, vegetables etc.) give you a fuller feeling between meals longer than foods with high glycemic index.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Juice may as well be a Pepsi.

Juice As Bad As Soda, Docs Say - CBS News

The alternatives list is nice, I just use honey aka "bee barf" :cheese:

1) It can't be as bad as Pepsi because it doesn't contain caffeine or carbonation.

2) Natural fruit juice is nowhere near as bad as additive hfcs.

3) Yes, I understand that some parents give their toddlers too much juice. I can agree with that.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
why not drink no sugar added juice? that's what i do i find with out the fizzies, sugared juice is too sweet. I mean no sugar added juice is equal to eating fruit. plus you don't have to chew which is even better.

As the article from CBS points out, juice is still just sugar and water...even the no sugar added is only a minimum improvement over a soda.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oh and while were on the subject of stuff that's good for you but you can od, you do know you can also consume too much calcium. so I bet any fucking food you can find some instance where someone's had adverse effects. I'm applying this to juice btw. Now the average person won't od on calcium but those calicum supplements? their's a reason why they say to not exceed a certain amount.

juice is not just sugar and water. wtf are you high?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really think you're falling too much for the sensationalist news articles, slippy. There is DEFINITELY truth in these articles, but to compare juice to Pepsi is irrational. Use your brain.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) It can't be as bad as Pepsi because it doesn't contain caffeine or carbonation.

2) Natural fruit juice is nowhere near as bad as additive hfcs.

3) Yes, I understand that some parents give their toddlers too much juice. I can agree with that.

It has to do with the way the liver metabolizes it as is pointed out in the OP video lecture by the researcher at the USF Medical Center.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It has to do with the way the liver metabolizes it as is pointed out in the OP video lecture by the researcher at the USF Medical Center.

Caffeine. Carbonation. Additive sugars. None of these things are in juice.

I already agreed with you that some parents give their toddlers way too much juice. You're being really silly.

Too much protein can also cause your kidneys to fail. Too much of anything is not good.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really think you're falling too much for the sensationalist news articles, slippy. There is DEFINITELY truth in these articles, but to compare juice to Pepsi is irrational. Use your brain.

The news article is simply a correlation to information presented by an academic at a credible university in the OP.

How about presenting information to counter the Dr.'s statements in his lecture vs. resorting to acting like an ass hat by calling people stupid or irrational.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The news article is simply a correlation to information presented by an academic at a credible university.

How about presenting information to counter the Dr.'s statements in his lecture vs. resorting to acting like an ass hat by calling people stupid or irrationally falling for sensationalism.

I am presenting information - in the form of explaining to you why juice can be overused, but is not quite as bad as soda.

Dr. Atkins was also considered credible. Until all of those people started having health problems from following his fantastic no carb, high fat, protein laden diet.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fructose is the sugar that is in fruit. Fruit is what we make juice from. Therefore, juice is HIGH FRUCTOSE. If you eat the fruit, you're getting enough fiber along with the fructose to slow the sugar absorption into your system as you eat the fruit. If you drink juice, you're dumping fructose into your system. You should limit your juice intake for the same reason you limit high fructose corn syrup. Fruit is better for you than just the juice from the fruit.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fructose is the sugar that is in fruit. Fruit is what we make juice from. Therefore, juice is HIGH FRUCTOSE. If you eat the fruit, you're getting enough fiber along with the fructose to slow the sugar absorption into your system as you eat the fruit. If you drink juice, you're dumping fructose into your system. You should limit your juice intake for the same reason you limit high fructose corn syrup. Fruit is better for you than just the juice from the fruit.

Yes, that's my understanding of the topic as well.

I use a simple rule of thumb when weighing dietary research.

Is the food in question something my ancestors ate and/or drank? If the answer is no then I tend to be cautious.

Or if the researcher says that something people have obviously eaten for thousands of years is bad for health, I don't believe them. In that the body is well adapted to metabolizing that stuff.

Lark

I'm sold on the anti-sugar messages but can anyone say anything about the zero sugar beverages or products, like arent the sugar replacements or substitutes as dangerous?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't eat too much. I wish more products would have less sugar in them without adding fake sugar.

Enneagram
9w1
Ok. So.. eat fatty and fiber related foods before you eat sugar if you absolutely need to. Like eggs or rice or vegetables.

Or just sweeten the things you already eat so that you're not eating plain sweets.