• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Influenza Season and Flu Shots

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm just curious how many of you go out to get the flu shot? I'm not sure if this shot is given out to everyone around the world but I know it's given to people here in Canada and the United States.

The flu shot is suppose to prevent people from the dangerous strains of the influenza virus by giving us the virus so that we can build up immunity to it. It is highly recommended for babies/young children, seniors, people with chronic health problems and caregivers to these people.

I personally do not get the flu shot. I work in a medical office and am exposed to all kinds of flus and bugs and people of all age groups. I think the flu shot makes it worse for me. I rarely get sick, even with all the sick people around me and the one time I got the flu shot, I was so sick, I swore I would never get it again.

So, what do you all think of the flu shot?

Do you get it?

Are you working in the health care profession?

What are your arguments for or against the flu shot?

Do you find the flu shot helpful?

I'm just curious what you all think. Thanks! :smile:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get the flu shot every year.

One of my children has cystic fibrosis, so it is highly recommended everyone in our family get the shot, to prevent him from catching anything (because it would very much mess him up).

I usually don't notice any issues with it. Sometimes the shot hurts a little for the rest of the afternoon, but I usually do not get sore or chills or run-down or anything.

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
I get the flu shot every year.

One of my children has cystic fibrosis, so it is highly recommended everyone in our family get the shot, to prevent him from catching anything (because it would very much mess him up).
That is a good reason to get the shot. I said to pt, I might consider it if I ever get old and really sick, but right now, I'm not a risk to anyone around me and so I rather stay away from that needle (I'm so scared of needles).

I usually don't notice any issues with it. Sometimes the shot hurts a little for the rest of the afternoon, but I usually do not get sore or chills or run-down or anything.
Lucky you, I guess my body just rejects that foreign substance or I'm just unlucky. I'm just a wimp! ;)

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you are young and healthy (and everybody in your family is young and healthy as well), then there is no need to get the shot. If you have elderly or ill people living in your household, you should get the shot - the flu you might otherwise catch might hurt or kill them.

Real influenza (and not just common cold), is a disease that keeps you in bed with extremely high fever for about a week. Afterwards, for about another four weeks you feel very tired and weak. Everybody who ever had one of these (I did) always gets the shot from then on (I do). It's an experience you do not wish to repeat.

By the way, just saw your wedding blog. Congrats to both of you! Don't let the family politics spoil your fun....;)

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
If you're working in an environment where you're exposed to that type of sickness I'd go ahead and get one. Granted, you probably have a greater immunity to it just because of constant exposure, but still...

My mom is a school nurse and she got one. She also had a reaction to it, but you have to keep the pain in perspective. The shot might make you sick for a day or two, but getting the flu is really miserable! Like developer said, it can be 4 weeks before you're feeling 100% again. The only thing I've experienced that's worse than the flu is pnemonia. With that said, I've never gotten the shot...lol, but then again my body is pretty consistently invaded with influenza every year. Hmmm....maybe I should consider one myself.

My advice: Get the shot after work one day, eat dinner, take some Tylenol PM and knock yourself out until the next morning...then most of the pain will probably have passed already and you'll be well-rested :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu. I'm not messing with what seems to work for my body.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got them when my first child was under 3. But I don't believe I've ever had the actual-factual flu before or since that short window of time, so I haven't really bothered with it for Thing 2. (Not because I don't care if he gets sick, mind you.)