• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Allergies to washing detergent or the dye in jeans?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Generally, I apply some homemade body oil all over my body when I jump out of the shower. The oil is basically melted unrefined pure African shea butter and EVOO. My skin problems went away and my thighs no longer felt itchy. For the past two or three days I haven't been applying the oil out of laziness and now my "rash" is back (I was rash free for 8 months because of the oil). It's so odd. It only shows up when I wear pants, so I was convinced that I was allergic to perfumed washing detergent. But if that's the case, wouldn't I breakout everywhere? It's only on my legs, which is even stranger. Obviously the oil was helping my condition, but why? Now I'm thinking that it might be related to the dye in jeans (but it happens with tights and sweat pants too?), but then again, why would my little ointment help my situation? What do you think? I asked a nurse and a dermatologist, but they couldn't tell me anything. I'm obviously allergic to something. This is the main reason why I avoid wearing pants.

Allergies? I meant *Allergic to washing detergent or dye in jeans* I don't know how to edit the title.

Last edited:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Could be due to some kind of chafing because your legs happen to be sensitive. Whenever I wear long socks there always ends up being weird bumps and a rash right above the ankles. Could possibly be synthetic material that is found in most clothing.

Try Jojoba oil as well. I hear shea butter is the ultimate though and women use it for stretch marks after giving birth, but some can't stand the smell. You can order it raw on Amazon.com in large quantities.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Could be due to some kind of chafing because your legs happen to be sensitive. Whenever I wear long socks there always ends up being weird bumps and a rash right above the ankles. Could possibly be synthetic material that is found in most clothing.

Try Jojoba oil as well. I hear shea butter is the ultimate though and women use it for stretch marks after giving birth, but some can't stand the smell. You can order it raw on Amazon.com in large quantities.

I bought lb of African shea butter from some African store. Apparently, real shea butter (the good kind) is supposed to feel a bit spongy and thick. The whipped one usually has added chemicals. I currently use the yellow tube because apparently it has added vitamin E. The great thing about it is that it makes your skin glow--and it makes your skin very soft.

Anyway, I think that I have a fragrance allergy. I just remembered... any time that I put lotion on that has a scent, my skin burns, etc. Scented body wash also makes my skin itchy. :shock: I need to buy arm & hammer detergent.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am allergic to the indigo dye in jeans.

Thankfully, that has mostly gone away as I got older. I still wouldn't wear those "raw" jeans though.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I use All free and clear. I used to avoid laundry because I was constantly sneezing. (now I avoid it for different reasons!) I haven't had any problems since. I love the stuff, your laundry just doesn't smell as nice. (just doesn't smell)

It's the white bottle:
all+free+clear.jpg

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use that one too.

Or I did till we got a high efficiency washer. Now it's Trader Joe's which seems to work pretty good.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
They have it for HE's! I bought it by accident.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Paper- -- I (and my twin) both react to heavy dye, especially in brand new unwashed jeans. We have to wash our clothes several times throughly before wearing them. I also react to most detergents because of the heavy gross perfumes. Get me around Tide and I'll have an asthma attack faster than you can snap your fingers.

We use Dreft baby detergent, but ALL free and clear is also a great option as Elaur mentioned.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe because you shave your legs, the material irritates them more than other areas of skin? My skin is very sensitive and I also have to be careful about what products I use, particularly on my legs since I shave them. I also use fragrance and dye free detergent and skin products wherever possible.

Moisturizing ingredients are basically emollients, many which create a slight barrier on the skin to hold moisture in, and effectively keep other stuff out (which is why some clog pores). Many also help repair the skin's natural barrier, which can reduce irritation also. This may be why your lotion protects your legs from irritation. Keeping skin well-moisturized is a good solution for a lot of skin issues.

And yeah, jojoba oil is really good stuff. I use it in my hair and to remove eye makeup also.