• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oral Contraceptives Impair Muscle Gains In Young Women

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Wait, so if a woman has too high testosterone levels and takes BC to reduce them to normal levels, shouldn't that mean that she still gains muscle at a normal rate for women?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Wait, so if a woman has too high testosterone levels and takes BC to reduce them to normal levels, shouldn't that mean that she still gains muscle at a normal rate for women?

Yeah. But not many women have too high t levels.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. But not many women have too high t levels.

Exactly, the situation described would be an extrememly rare circumstance of a secondary condition being mitigated by the side effects of OCs.

Here's an off comment, but related to OCs:

I discussed the info in this thread with my wife, and told her that if she wnated to get off the OCs to go ahead and do so. She reminded me that one other reason, besides the PMDD, that she was given the option of using them is that she had ovarian cysts that were very painful. She does not have any issues with the ovarian cysts when she is taking OCs. Apparently there is a wide array of risk/benefit to any hormone therapy...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Exactly, the situation described would be an extrememly rare circumstance of a secondary condition being mitigated by the side effects of OCs.

Here's an off comment, but related to OCs:

I discussed the info in this thread with my wife, and told her that if she wnated to get off the OCs to go ahead and do so. She reminded me that one other reason, besides the PMDD, that she was given the option of using them is that she had ovarian cysts that were very painful. She does not have any issues with the ovarian cysts when she is taking OCs. Apparently there is a wide array of risk/benefit to any hormone therapy...

It's not too rare. Ovarian cysts are often caused by/accompanied by high testosterone levels. PCOS affects about 5% of women.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Progestins will decrease sex drive in men because men need a high amount of testosterone to function sexually.

Women need far less testosterone to function sexually so it isn't as big a deal. The reduction in sex drive is definitely not universal, from what I've read it varies from woman to woman, sometimes does the opposite and increases sex drive, and is usually transient.

For me it decreased it noticeably for a month or so and then it was back to normal.

FYI the pill has health benefits as well as risks...it significantly decreases the risk of ovarian cancer which is very deadly, the most fatal gynecological cancer. Besides being a highly accurate method of contraception. Though I agree that a nonhormonal yet effective method (other than IUDs) would be a great alternative and it's sad that the pharmaceutical companies have largely withdrawn from this research due to the lack of potential profit (mostly because the pill is so effective).

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Discontinuing OC + increased libido = increased offspring

:yes:

Just trust me. :cheese:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Discontinuing OC + increased libido = increased offspring

:yes:

Just trust me. :cheese:

N-I-C-E! :nice:

Raising a child from birth to age 18 = $200,000
Vasectomy = $1,000
Peace of Mind = Priceless
Piece of Ass = Even Better! :devil:

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Progestins will decrease sex drive in men because men need a high amount of testosterone to function sexually.

Women need far less testosterone to function sexually so it isn't as big a deal. The reduction in sex drive is definitely not universal, from what I've read it varies from woman to woman, sometimes does the opposite and increases sex drive, and is usually transient.

For me it decreased it noticeably for a month or so and then it was back to normal.

FYI the pill has health benefits as well as risks...it significantly decreases the risk of ovarian cancer which is very deadly, the most fatal gynecological cancer. Besides being a highly accurate method of contraception. Though I agree that a nonhormonal yet effective method (other than IUDs) would be a great alternative and it's sad that the pharmaceutical companies have largely withdrawn from this research due to the lack of potential profit (mostly because the pill is so effective).

And it can clear your skin, too! :D