• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why does using computers make me dizzy/disoriented

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
well?

ive only been on here for about 30 minutes... what gives, it always happens. i think its more than tiredness, although it does seem to provoke a type of tiredness.

i can't even think right. its like my brain is in a rocking boat or is underwater or something. i can almost feel a pressure head ache comming on but i know i wont get one.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What type of monitor are you using? If it's an old CRT, bump the refresh rate up to at least 70-80 Hz. :cheese:

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
Motion sickness, possible.

People who use the computer are more likely to become tired. They also are more likely to ignore signs of tiredness and continue to use the computer- somewhat due to the glow of the computer screen, it tricks the brain into thinking it's daylight. That's how you can spend the entire night on the computer and all of the sudden crash, but not recognize that you are tired.

Uh, relevancy to your post? I'm really not sure.

~~ENFJ~~

MBTI Type
ENFJ
The anti-glare shiny screen on my laptop does that to me. I'm hoping one of those anti-anti-glare layers to put over it will help. I find myself squinting, turning down the brightness, and feeling a little dizzy and queasy. I would be happy to know why it happens.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
What type of monitor are you using? If it's an old CRT, bump the refresh rate up to at least 70-80 Hz. :cheese:

This does it for me. CRTs with crappy refresh bring a headache in short order.

You may also want to adjust the lighting in the room, your distance from the screen, and if you should be wearing glasses, put them on.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Is there any history of epilepsy in your family?

Even if there isn't try to find answers to your difficulty - it might not be a simple one.
Take good care...

nanook

a scream in a vortex
for me the noise of the computer, coming from one side, seems to cause some kind of binaural effect - that is to say a frequency that induces a partial trance - locks me out of my own mental space, leaving me with a fraction of my awareness. but if I center the tower it still gives me bad symptoms, just not that bad. i always wear earplugs/headphones.

repeatedly clicking on stumble! for hours doesn't enhance mental clarity either. :D

~~ENFJ~~

MBTI Type
ENFJ
for me the noise of the computer, coming from one side, seems to cause some kind of binaural effect - that is to say a frequency that induces a partial trance - locks me out of my own mental space, leaving me with a fraction of my awareness. but if I center the tower it still gives me bad symptoms, just not that bad. i always wear earplugs/headphones
Thanks for pointing that out! I noticed that I rest my head on my hand, covering my left ear with my hand for just that reason. I'll try ear plugs.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
for me the noise of the computer, coming from one side, seems to cause some kind of binaural effect - that is to say a frequency that induces a partial trance - locks me out of my own mental space, leaving me with a fraction of my awareness. but if I center the tower it still gives me bad symptoms, just not that bad. i always wear earplugs/headphones.

That's what it is, hahah I need a new computer. the buzzing humming is affecting my mind. I always thought it was the fan that needed cleaning but its the whole lot.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
thankyou for the suggestions.

its highly inconveinient when im doing an assignment on the computer and i can't even think straight.

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
Its called crt fatigue its normal. Only if your using a crt though i would suggest you get a good LCD monitor.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm glad this thread exists. Was helpful to me as well.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't use an AirCard, or a Wireless Router for any length of time...RF exposure leaves
me feeling in a similar way. As does talking on a cell for an extended period.

Some people are more sensative to that vs. others.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sitting in front of the computer for more than 30 minutes sometimes makes me headachey and queasy. Pink and I have a ancient monitor, so I assumed the radiation was to blame, but then I felt headachey and sick using a relatively new laptop. Perhaps it's an electromagnetic field of some kind?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Electronics do output an electro magnetic field. It's why they collect dust so readily.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
This could also be eye or posture related. I feel slightly nauseated and get a slight headache if my neck posture is bad. Maybe you need glasses/contacts or a new prescription for these?

Neck-related posture:
  • The monitor should be an arm's reach away.
  • Sit so that your head is upright and looking straight ahead.
  • The top of the screen should be around 2 inches above eye level.

More detail:
Workstation Ergonomic Tips: Computer Monitors and Posture

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
well?

ive only been on here for about 30 minutes... what gives, it always happens. i think its more than tiredness, although it does seem to provoke a type of tiredness.

i can't even think right. its like my brain is in a rocking boat or is underwater or something. i can almost feel a pressure head ache comming on but i know i wont get one.

Another issue that may affect you is items that can activate mercury in the body if you have any. I read that people who sit in front of a computer screen get charged up, why people with mercury fillings may procrastinate in front of a computer longer than non mercury people. Charge them up, put simply interacts with the mercury in your mouth. Mobile phones can too apparently.

This happened to me a lot. When I sit in front of my PC screen I procrastinate, I zone out and just stare at the computer. As soon as I got my LCD screen to replace my old CRT screen from my brother my focus is better.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
An INTP that can't stare at a computer screen? That's appalling.

Have you tried messing with the brightness/contrast of your monitor? If you turn your brightness way down, and your contrast up, that supposedly makes things much easier on your eyes.