• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

% of TypoC members who smoke?

Do you smoke?

• Yes smoke

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • No smoke

Votes: 93 74.4%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I smoked a cigarette once about 3 months ago and hated it. I've smoked a few cigars and smoke marijuana every so often..but never straight cigs.

We watched a health documentary on smoking where this lady was addicted and it showed every little bad thing the tobacco was doing to her lungs and how it was killing her. It was scary. But on the other hand..she was addicted..and even quoted as saying she wishes she had never started.

And this one girl in my class was laughing at her and how stupid she was for continually going outside of another smoke. It really bothered me.

I have sympathy for smokers, because I know it's so hard to stop. I don't have sympathy for people who are overly-against smoking. To people who have never smoked (myself included), we don't really know what it is like to be addicted, so to criticize others for smoking is completely insane. The human error is actually starting. But once you are addicted, you lose a lot of control even though quitting isn't impossible. So my heart goes out to all of you who are addicted because it must suck.

I give my respect out to ex-smokers. Those who have gotten the will power to quit. I doubt it's as easy as everyone assumes it to be. If you haven't been addicted, than you can't make such claims.

And I totally agree with those Truth commercials that are anti-tobacco industry. It's not the smokers fault, per se, but more the fault of the money hungry Tobacco Industries. They put the addictive and life threatening chemicals in cigarettes to do the very things that cigarettes do. Just think of the number of people they've killed.

I see smoking as a choice. There are so many other things we do that are almost as bad/worse than smoking. It's not for us to say whether something is right or wrong and to some people, smoking is justifiable. But personally, I find it disgusting.

Don't criticize smokers.

:hug:

though people start for many reasons and most know the risks when starting. that's what gets under my skin about being called stupid for smoking, because I knew, I mean anyone can intentially do something detrimental to them and know the risks but do it anyways for some other reason that anti smokers can't or refuse to see or take into account.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
:hug:

though people start for many reasons and most know the risks when starting. that's what gets under my skin about being called stupid for smoking, because I knew, I mean anyone can intentially do something detrimental to them and know the risks but do it anyways for some other reason that anti smokers can't or refuse to see or take into account.

We're all humans and we all have our own set of ideals and make our own decisions for whatever reasons.

Trying to persuade one into thinking their views and judgments are wrong is blasphemy...especially if they have never been in the situation.

redacted

The whole weak-willed argument is silly.

You're weak willed if you sleep late, if you don't exercise everyday, if you don't eat completely healthy foods, if you maintain all of your relationships in a healthy way, and overall take absolutely no repeated actions that don't maximize your health at all times.

It's not all about health people. It's about happiness.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I have only found few who smoke and don't regret it.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Why have you tried to start? A few people I know have tried to get into it because of stress, etc.

Mostly the social aspect at certain times in my life when many people around me were smoking. Not a great reason, but what the heck. Also, during the war it helped keep me awake under sleep deprived situations. Still didn't get addicted there either though ... just sick from the nicotine. Recently, I smoked a Cuban cigar in the Dominican Republic ... just to have that experience. The result? You guessed it ... I got sick.

redacted

^ I have only found few who smoke and don't regret it.

What about people who eat cheeseburgers and don't regret it?

It's not that I don't regret smoking, it's that there are so many things I do that don't maximize my health at any given moment that smoking doesn't seem especially important to me right now.

It all depends on where you want to put your resources. I attack one life problem at a time in order of subjective importance. I'm dealing with more important things than smoking at the moment. I also derive benefit from smoking.

So yeah, it's not a good thing, but I doubt anyone would claim that it is. The only real argument is that sometimes it's a better use of resources to fix other life problems than to fix smoking. Or I guess another argument would be that smoking has more pros than cons.

F

FigerPuppet

I've smoked a couple of times, but I always regret doing it. I'm drunk and feel like getting a buzz. The buzz is incredibly short and just not worth the bad taste/smell and a cough. I prefer a joint because the buzz lasts for much longer, and it doesn't taste as bad.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What about people who eat cheeseburgers and don't regret it?

It's not that I don't regret smoking, it's that there are so many things I do that don't maximize my health at any given moment that smoking doesn't seem especially important to me right now.

It all depends on where you want to put your resources. I attack one life problem at a time in order of subjective importance. I'm dealing with more important things than smoking at the moment. I also derive benefit from smoking.

So yeah, it's not a good thing, but I doubt anyone would claim that it is. The only real argument is that sometimes it's a better use of resources to fix other life problems than to fix smoking. Or I guess another argument would be that smoking has more pros than cons.
If smoking is of low importance of all your health issues then you've seriously got some big health issues. Good luck on fixing them. Anyways to put the weak willed quote on a general term: Those who do something that they would regret are weak willed. :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't smoke. It is hard for me to understand why someone would start knowing the health risks and how expensive it is. I hate to see people selling their food stamps, plasma, pawning their kids' video games, etc to support their habit, but otherwise, whatever. There are a lot worse things.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If smoking is of low importance of all your health issues then you've seriously got some big health issues. Good luck on fixing them. Anyways to put the weak willed quote on a general term: Those who do something that they would regret are weak willed. :D

Such an INTJ...such an INTJ.

I won't even argue with you because you seem awfully entitled to your opinion.

redacted

If smoking is of low importance of all your health issues then you've seriously got some big health issues. Good luck on fixing them.

I should have said mental health/health, but yeah.

Anyways to put the weak willed quote on a general term: Those who do something that they would regret are weak willed. :D

Then everyone is weak willed.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
How can you say it is of ill-will power to smoke when you have never smoked?

So much of it relies on physically and chemically being addicted and less on will power.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously, the context of smoking over other things that would supposedly make you "weak willed" is drastically different. I don't see how you can compare it.

And don't get all nit picky. You know what he meant when he said "regret", as in, a very large regret, not something like stumping your toe.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I don't smoke. It is hard for me to understand why someone would start knowing the health risks and how expensive it is. I hate to see people selling their food stamps, plasma, pawning their kids' video games, etc to support their habit, but otherwise, whatever. There are a lot worse things.

People do stuff like that for plain old regular tobacco? damn. :shock:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Seriously, the context of smoking over other things that would supposedly make you "weak willed" is drastically different. I don't see how you can compare it.

And don't get all nit picky. You know what he meant when he said "regret", as in, a very large regret, not something like stumping your toe.

If you're aiming that at me..

I wasn't directing it at him..it was just some general advice in the whole context of the thread.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Then everyone is weak willed.

How can you say it is of ill-will power to smoke when you have never smoked?
It takes low will to start something your against. It takes moderate will to never start it. It takes strong will to stop it. Will can change from weak to strong and vice versa. It's a lot like working out. When I say the statement I'm referring to those who tend to let themselves go and regret what they do later. Those are the weak willed people.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It takes low will to start something your against. It takes moderate will to never start it. It takes strong will to stop it. Will can change from weak to strong and vice versa. It's a lot like working out. When I say the statement I'm referring to those who tend to let themselves go and regret what they do later. Those are the weak willed people.

Touché

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
The whole weak-willed argument is silly.

You're weak willed if you sleep late, if you don't exercise everyday, if you don't eat completely healthy foods, if you maintain all of your relationships in a healthy way, and overall take absolutely no repeated actions that don't maximize your health at all times.

It's not all about health people. It's about happiness.
It's not silly. You just don't like it because you're a member of that group. And your comparison is absurd. How many people have gotten cancer and died as a result of sleeping late? Unlike the other vices you mention, the case against smoking is overwhelming. I stand by my opinion that only a fool would take up the habit.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Smoking is a disgusting, dangerous, and expensive habit to take up. What is the point?