• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

skinny guy at the gym

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm skinny, and I don't need muscle, so much as I need strength. You see, I play the trombone, and its a little too heavy/awkward for me. Amidst the counterweight placement experiments, I'm going to the gym to get some strength. My chest is 34 and I'm 5'9", 133lbs. And I'm 20, so I'm pretty small and weak. So what types of exercises should I do? Higher reps and less weight? More isometrics? I'm lookin at the plank, front/back pulldowns, overhead tricep extension, upright row. Any suggestions?

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I think any of the olympic lifts will do you good.

Clean & Jerk. Snatch. Romanian Deadlift.

If you've never done these though, definately practice with just a broom or bar. Also get some hep from the staff of the gym.

You can fuck yourself up if you go too heavy and don't have proper form.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If you're skinny like me, do 6-12 repetitions of each small exercise, 1-3 sets. Rest 30 seconds between sets, then repeat. Do with as much of a weight that you can endure for the whole big exercise, which consists of 8-12 smaller exercises. Try to push yourself further each time.

Suppose your one big exercise at the gym includes a leg press, 4 other leg exercises, back exercise, torso rotation and another center-body exercise. That's a total of 8 small exercises. So, for example, you'll do a leg press with big weights and repeat 6-12 times. Then you're supposed to be really exhausted, not being able to do more. You rest for 30-60 seconds, and repeat. Perhaps rest 30-60-seconds more, and repeat once more. Then you'll move on to next small exercise, say, back muscles.

That kind of workout got a good body shape for me. I'm hoping to recover good body shape with a much similar exercise now :)

wolfy

awsm
You need to build strength in your back primarily. Especially the upper back.
Here, this site should help. ExRx

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
For back:
Do dumbbell rows:
[YOUTUBE="WiH8BAK92Yk"]db row[/YOUTUBE]

Seated rows:
seatedrows2.jpg

and Lat Pulldowns:
series-7-lat-pulldown67.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I was doing DB rows with 90lbs and I was satisfied with that (I'm not a particularly big guy)! That guy is an animal.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I always think DB rows work my biceps more than my back, despite how much I pay attention to form and movement. I consciously try to "pull" and clench my back to lift the weight, however there's still bicep compensation. I wonder if that's indicative of poor form or weak back? My shoulders and back have always sucked.

wolfy

awsm
I always think DB rows work my biceps more than my back, despite how much I pay attention to form and movement. I consciously try to "pull" and clench my back to lift the weight, however there's still bicep compensation. I wonder if that's indicative of poor form or weak back? My shoulders and back have always sucked.

Try thinking about pulling from your elbow. Same with pulldowns.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Try thinking about pulling from your elbow. Same with pulldowns.

Well, I try to envision making my shoulder blades "meet" together in the middle of my back, I also try not to grip too hard, because I find that when I do I automatically give more of the weight to the arm instead of the back. But I'll try the elbow thing, thanks!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You're probably lifting too heavy. Get a light ass weight and just go through the movement, concentrating on targeting your intended muscle group (upper back). Once you've gotten familiar with that squeeze, go up in weight.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You're probably lifting too heavy. Get a light ass weight and just go through the movement, concentrating on targeting your intended muscle group (upper back). Once you've gotten familiar with that squeeze, go up in weight.

Listen to Beat.

When beginning (especially when beginning) a new weight routine, proper technique should be your primary focus. Besides reducing the likelihood of injury, you're evenly working the muscle groups appropriate to your machine/routine of choice.

Start light. Master technique. Build reps. Add weight.

Repeat as necessary.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

Night said:
When beginning (especially when beginning) a new weight routine, proper technique should be your primary focus. Besides reducing the likelihood of injury, you're evenly working the muscle groups appropriate to your machine/routine of choice.

Start light. Master technique. Build reps. Add weight.

Repeat as necessary.

:yes:

People think it's all about slinging the weight around. Then wonder why they get hurt.

wolfy

awsm
:yes:

People think it's all about slinging the weight around. Then wonder why they get hurt.

Speaking of throwing weights around. I remember reading about Vasiliy Alekseyev's warm up of throwing a 100kg barbell over his head.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Speaking of throwing weights around. I remember reading about Vasiliy Alekseyev's warm up of throwing a 100kg barbell over his head.

And I'll bet he didn't start out doing that as a newbie. And of course, genetics always plays a part. :)

wolfy

awsm
And I'll bet he didn't start out doing that as a newbie. And of course, genetics always plays a part. :)

No doubt he didn't. I remember reading how Kazmaier deadlifted 220kg the first time he walked into a gym. But I'm just telling stories. Lift with good form, build reps, add weight. Just like Milo did with the calf.