• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

alli

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Has anyone tried this? If so, what's up?

A friend of mine is taking this and tells me that if she eats anything with fat in it she gets the runs. I would hate to think I was out in public with such a problem!

It sounds to me like a pill form of gastric bypass or the band in the way that it tortures you when you eat too much.
MSNBC story-

Sometimes, you can’t stop your weight-loss secrets from leaking out.

Dieters have been flocking to drugstores to pick up Alli, the first over-the-counter weight-loss pill to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration, despite the scary warning: Stray too far from your low-fat diet and you just might poop your pants.

The drug’s maker, GlaxoSmithKline, has been up front about the pill’s side effects, suggesting that first timers wear dark pants or bring a change of clothes to work until they get used to the diet pill’s potentially yucky consequences.

That's really gross and I do think I would stop eating for fear of humiliating myself in public! :sick:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have not heard of it yet (I will Google it in a moment), but do you remember when Olestra came out in the late 1990's? It was the same problem (because the fat was being passed through the body rather than being digested)... so people were complaining about "anal leakage."

(And yes, that's exactly what they called it!)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just read the Alli site, and in their "questionnaire" they inform people that, if they take Alli with a non-"low fat" meal, they can suffer loose stools, gas, and all that other assorted intestinal volcanic excitement...

They said that Alli prevents 25% of the fat from the meal from being absorbed.

One of our children has cystic fibrosis, which results in part that his digestive tract is prevented from receiving all of the enzymes from his pancreas that he needs to absorb large molecules ... such as fat. He actually takes medicine to HELP him absorb fat. And when he doesn't take his medicine, he has the same sort of symptoms as misuse of Alli. It is not a pleasant sight... or whatever.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
This is the OTC version of Xenical, no? If it is you want to run from it. This shit blocks fat absorption and along with it fat soluble vitamins.

It sounds to me like a pill form of gastric bypass or the band in the way that it tortures you when you eat too much.

Edited to add, WLS, be it GBP or Lap, is inherently different. The one positive (other than fat loss) that comes from this kind of drastic measure is the loss of appetite. By eliminating part of the stomach (a large part) levels of certain hormones in the gut that make you hungry are reduced - those hormones that make you so insatiably hungry when you do diet.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
There are much easier ways to suppress apetite. I am also very against things like this and gastric bypass. Assisted Anorexia. The only thing that makes gastric bypass ok is the fact that someone who went to college for 8 years is forcing you to not eat, rather than just doing it yourself.

Hell, I would probably recommend ephedrine or clenbuterol over an extreme diuretic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the OTC version of Xenical, no? If it is you want to run from it. This shit blocks fat absorption and along with it fat soluble vitamins.

Oh, good point. (My son has to take special vitamins to supplement his diet because of his issue... so this would translate into problems for alli users as well.)