• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lady Cups

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to know a bit more about these. I really want to try these (cheaper in the long run, environmentally friendly, and I wouldn't run out of pads at the most awkward times).

There is one major problem though: I'm in college, and essentially obliged to use public restrooms. The only restrooms in the dorms are the public type with stalls. Also, they are all coed (which I guess could be hilarious... ). How feasible is it to deal with in this sort of situation, or should I just wait a few years to try one? I don't much care about washing a bloody thing in front of the guys in my dorm (I'd be teasing them about it, not the other way around), but it seems awkward to use in a public restroom. I do know of one essentially unused female restroom, but it still has the stall setup I think. I'm not sure-first I'd have to find it, which is far from trivial because the architect of our dorms was absolutely insane, and it's not really in a location most people go.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oooo, really not a good idea unless it's your own private bathroom.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I forget my response in here, honestly.

I can say I knew a girl who complained she used one and it "slipped" out of place before.. Making a huge, embarrassing mess, although luckily not in public like at the store or something.

I dunno.. I think if I were at home the whole time and had nothing else to do it would be fine. But honestly, I jump around, move about, I'm frequently in public and around other people's latrines.. so I just don't see it so suitable for me. I'd rather someone see a clean tampon fall out of my cargo pocket than someone walk in while I'm washing a cup of sludge out. :sick:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to know a bit more about these. I really want to try these (cheaper in the long run, environmentally friendly, and I wouldn't run out of pads at the most awkward times).

There is one major problem though: I'm in college, and essentially obliged to use public restrooms. The only restrooms in the dorms are the public type with stalls. Also, they are all coed (which I guess could be hilarious... ). How feasible is it to deal with in this sort of situation, or should I just wait a few years to try one? I don't much care about washing a bloody thing in front of the guys in my dorm (I'd be teasing them about it, not the other way around), but it seems awkward to use in a public restroom. I do know of one essentially unused female restroom, but it still has the stall setup I think. I'm not sure-first I'd have to find it, which is far from trivial because the architect of our dorms was absolutely insane, and it's not really in a location most people go.

OK, this is how you deal with the stall issue. I have to do the same thing at work and I've found a satisfactory solution.

You'll only need these two things:
  • travel sized baby wipes or intimate cleansing wipes
  • sanitary gloves (latex, nitrile, vinyl, whatever)
Use the glove to pop out the lady cup so you don't have a mess on your hands. Wipe it out with the cleansing wipes and replace. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

I'm totally devoted to my diva cup and I've done some proselytizing over the last year. Other women may scoff and tell me how gross it it, but I when I have to hole up in my home when the zombies come or society disintegrates, I'll be chillin.

On another note, I'm kind of dumbstruck with how uncomfortable women are with the concept of lady cups. I don't know if this has already come up in the thread, but the squeamishness is surprising and saddening. So many of the same women are like "it's our bodies" when it comes to other issues but mention this and they turn in to squealing middle school girls.

kyuuei, if you're concerned about slippage, different cups having different sizing...much like a bra. You may want to try which one fits. I know the price of lady cups tend to range anywhere from $30 - $40 but you'll save that much money in less than a year when you find the right one. :)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
How do you guess at sizing? Do they give you some idea of where to start?

I have been surprised even at how many women find the idea of tampons unappealing. I think one advantage of that and of DivaCups is that you have a much better awareness of how your body is set up internally, which I think lends a much greater degree of both comfort and knowledge about your physical health and sexuality.

A

A window to the soul

This whole messy concept blows my mind; I can't deal with it. I must run.

:butterflee:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
On another note, I'm kind of dumbstruck with how uncomfortable women are with the concept of lady cups. I don't know if this has already come up in the thread, but the squeamishness is surprising and saddening. So many of the same women are like "it's our bodies" when it comes to other issues but mention this and they turn in to squealing middle school girls.

That totally made me think of:

6a00d8341bfae553ef014e8c003d3b970d-800wi

Or the updated version:

Our Bodies, Ourselves

The original had a full page black and white picture of a woman using a mirror to check out her own vagina (technically externally, labia, etc.). It was blowing people's minds back then and it still does today :girlpower:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Seriously. I don't get it. It's especially puzzling when it comes from women who pride themselves on being unflappable about everything else, but the thought of a little menstrual blood FROM THEIR OWN BODY on their fingers is just unfathomable. News flash, you've got a vagina, it does this thing every month, get over it.

I can't use a cup because I have an IUD but if I didn't, I would be all over it.

A

A window to the soul

Seriously. I don't get it. It's especially puzzling when it comes from women who pride themselves on being unflappable about everything else, but the thought of a little menstrual blood FROM THEIR OWN BODY on their fingers is just unfathomable. News flash, you've got a vagina, it does this thing every month, get over it.

I can't use a cup because I have an IUD but if I didn't, I would be all over it.

That's just it, I have pride and I'm realistic. Anything as messy as what you just described is not practical or sanitary. It sounds like a very low tech, reusable device designed for poor people and environmentalists.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's just it, I have pride and I'm realistic. Anything as messy as what you just described is not practical or sanitary. It sounds like a very low tech, reusable device designed for poor people and environmentalists.

:rofl1:

There's this thing called "washing your hands after using the bathroom," it helps with the sanitary issues. You might get some blood on your hands when you use a tampon too. OH NOES

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

mmm menstrual blood I love it!!!! actually I don't get squeamish over menses it's just blood with you uteran lining mixed in, what's the big deal?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

+1. I think some people imagine some kind of horror movie scene. It's really not like that...but then I've never understood how a female could be terrified by her own (menstrual) blood anyway. You'd think you'd be used to it by now!

A

A window to the soul

:rofl1:

There's this thing called "washing your hands after using the bathroom," it helps with the sanitary issues. You might get some blood on your hands when you use a tampon too. OH NOES

Again, context. Meanwhile your touching stall doors, sink knobs, and rinsing your cup in the sink. Not sanitary or funny.

rav3n

Four main concerns:
  1. Mess.
  2. Leakage.
  3. Bloating discomfort during heavy periods since you're holding fluids in an area not intended to hold a substantial amount of blood.
  4. Putting something back internally, that hasn't been disinfected.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, context. Meanwhile your touching stall doors, sink knobs, and rinsing your cup in the sink. Not sanitary or funny.

Not generally recommended for public (stalls) washroom use, but more out of respect for not grossing people out than any sanitary reason. The other non-cup-using people touching the stalls, sink knobs, etc also track small amounts of menstrual blood (and urine and feces, as well). Menstrual blood is WAY more "clean" than poop, and people do poop in the bathroom. That's why you wash your hands after using the washroom, rather than before. You also have two hands, if it comes to that.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. Most updated technology for me in that realm thanks.

A

Anew Leaf

Four main concerns:
  1. Mess.
  2. Leakage.
  3. Bloating discomfort during heavy periods since you're holding fluids in an area not intended to hold a substantial amount of blood.
  4. Putting something back internally, that hasn't been disinfected.

Exactly this and especially the bold.

A

A window to the soul

I disagree with the whole concept. It's a personal hygeine matter.

proteanmix is right on with her post on proper handling (below) and if you add up the extras + time, this ENTP says, hell no.

The only part of proteanmix's quote below that sounds sugar coated is the part about "pop out the Lady Cup". Ideally, for y'alls sake I certainly hope it pops out. I imagine it's more accurately like fishing.

Good luck!

-out-

You'll only need these two things:
  • travel sized baby wipes or intimate cleansing wipes
  • sanitary gloves (latex, nitrile, vinyl, whatever)
Use the glove to pop out the lady cup so you don't have a mess on your hands. Wipe it out with the cleansing wipes and replace. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

You keep using the word context. I don't think it means what you think it means.

People touch doors and sink knobs and wash their tamponny hands in the sink, too. Not sure why it's so much worse except that it's outside your experience. Also, did you know people shit in bathrooms and then have to touch things on their way to the sink to wash up? True story. That's also not sanitary. That's why you WASH YOUR HANDS.

PS, I don't think most people rinse their cup in the public bathroom sink- everyone I know who uses one says they do the same as Proteanmix except without the gloves. The gloves are a good idea, though.

Mole

Permabanned
If men menstruated, we would valourise it, we would boast of it, we would show the world the blood on our hands.

But the world of women, the world of menstruating women, remains a secret. Women just don't tell us where they are in their cycle. And yet their cycle determines how they feel and what they desire. It's as though the feelings and desires of women are unimportant.

Religion tells us that menstruating women are unclean and must be separated from society until they are ritually cleansed. Why in Canberra itself we have recently built a ritual cleansing bath for Judaic women after menstruation.

So today we still mutilate the genitals of boys and girls and we ritually cleanse women after menstruation. This strikes me as psychopathic.