• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lady Cups

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
me and my room mate had a conversation about these and she was telling me about the time before i moved in our other room mate freaking out cuz she couldn't get it out. if you knew our other room mate you would see what that was funny.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Can someone tell me what the advantage of using a menstrual cup over a tampon is?

oxyjen

MBTI Type
INtP
There are so many reasons to switch from tampons to cups. I switched to a cup for financial reasons and because I moved somewhere that doesn't allow for flushing of anything except human waste (ew!). I originally viewed my switch to cups as something that would make my periods more of a pain in the ass, but I'd deal with it. The little known secret is that cups are vastly superior. Advantages?

Cost--I bought a Divacup for 20 bucks, and that's the only expenditure for feminine products I've made for 2009.

Convenience--Cups are made from silicone. It's the same material from which they make implants and other internal medical devices. Cups don't carry the risk of TSS like tampons do, and so you can wear them for 12 hours. Some wear theirs longer. Second, you don't have to make a special trip to the store to get additional if you find you didn't buy them in time.

You can use the restroom without needing to change products, or "get a string dirty." (ew). They're cleaner because I haven't had any leakage. It's possible to not have to wear pantiliners. When I used tampons, I'd have to because I'd inevitably leak even when it "wasn't time" to change one.

Environmentally you are reducing waste.
--

For me the biggest perks of changing to the cups was dealing with my period only twice a day (when I got up, when I went to bed). No leaks in between, and the insertion/removal process of the cup is easy and not messy at all once you get past one cycle of learning curve on how to best use it for you.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I totally tried one out! (after extensive research online, chose the MeLuna, medium size although in retrospect a small may have been better for me)

Without getting too graphic,

-super easy to put in, after I got past the intimidation factor (it does look very large) and actually more comfortable to put in, in some ways, than tampons
-only slightly harder to take out than tampons
-not painful and no more uncomfortable than tampons, no change in cramping
-a bit messier than tampons but much less than pads :)sick:). I didn't spray blood everywhere, lol.
-annoying tendency for it to come down too low, not sure why
-feel it about the same as tampons, or a bit more if it comes down too low
-NO leaks, although many times it felt like it was
-not smelly at all like (I find) tampons and moreso pads
-12h is totally fine for changing it, I'm not even sure why you have to change it that often (?) but I did anyway
-cost was about 28$ after shipping and currency conversion from the UK (!!!) because I couldn't find any more local brands that I liked. This is a lot more expensive than tampons for me since I don't use many at all (maybe an average of 4/month since I don't usually use them at home or at ngiht). So at about 8$/box of 40ish, umm it'd take a long time for me to make back the money. 28$=>120= more than 30 months or so, so about 3 years. I guess that's alright. Most people would use a lot more than that, though, and so save a lot more money. I could have bought a cheaper one but I thought this particular one would be best for me, hopefully avoiding buying another one.

so overall a big success! I guess I'm one of the luckier ones. :D

(side note: I bought a reusable cloth pad from the same vendor since why not, and that was an epic fail, although maybe if I actually liked pads it'd be ok...but yeah. epic fail.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The only thing I find this useful for is having sex on your period when your flow is light, because it totally works in that regard.

Otherwise I think they are uncomfortable, awkward, and messy and they can be a real pain in the ass to take out. I pretty much hate them other than the one thing I see them as being good for.

I've only used Instead, though, maybe other brands are superior.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I've read online, Instead is actually a completely different product from the hard, nondisposable cups. (I haven't tried it myself since it was reviewed pretty poorly plus they're disposable)

With the nondisposable sort,

-you can't have sex with it in, which is a downside (it's pretty big)
-it's not as messy since the cup is firm and all one piece, so it just holds everything
-it's a lot larger so I think it holds more
-I've heard people say they're more comfortable, makes sense since there isn't a hard ring, the whole thing is very flexible

I can see how some people would find them uncomfortable but from what I've read online, most people don't have problems once you figure out a good way to fold it to put it in, and a good way to take it out again. I haven't heard many positive things about the Instead, but I wasn't specifically researching that. :shrug:

as far as mess, (graphic image warning - if anyone is somehow in this thread not expecting it)

when I take it out I don't even get blood on my hands, just a little bit of normal "brown stuff" that you'd see right before your period comes. the cup holds everything easily and didn't spill blood anywhere. It might be more messy with a heavier flow though - mine is pretty light most days ranging to average on my heaviest day. So the cup is nowhere near full when I take it out.

(/warning)

They seem pretty much identical to tampons for me, except i can leave them in longer and I don't have to buy them every so often.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I finally got a Diva and want to share my experience.

1) THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN INSTEAD AND WORTH THE PRICE. You may be able to have sex while you have those Instead cups in, but they're much more awkward and sucky to put in and take out. Diva is a lot more comfortable and easier to insert, though you cannot have sex with it in.

2) I ordered the size 1 model instead of size 2 and I'm glad I did. It says you should get the size 2 if you're 30 even if you haven't had kids, but I just wonder what they think these women have been doing with their vaginas. I have a lot of vaginal control and I tend not to like big dildos and I prefer a medium sized man down there to a large one, so I *KNEW* I should still get size 1...and I was totally right. I took a walk with it in and it didn't budge at all. I know my body and I suggest that if you know yours you take this into consideration when ordering size 1 or 2 despite age (apparently some women under 30 purchase the size 2).

3) I feel good that I'm saving money in the long-term though it cost more initially, and that this is good for the environment. I tend to be concerned about environment. I also think this might be better for my vagina than wearing a tampon (dryness, etc.) and it's certainly more comfortable than wearing a pad.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha since you bumped the thread, I should update that I never use mine anymore. I got tired of feeling like it was sucking out my insides when I take it out (yes I break the stupid seal, that barely matters), plus the stupid stem thing always ends up causing like...the equivalent of friction burns. Not so bad most of the time but obnoxious for sports! It also definitely didn't save me money since it takes me months and months to go through a box of tampons (and with shipping it cost the rough equivalent of 3-4 tampon boxes, I think).

but I might try it (or another brand) again sometime. I still like the idea, just not the reality.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
just the idea of having to wash it....
i hate washing dishes, i don't know
if i'd want to wash something i just
bled into.

i just like tossing stuff like that in
the bin.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
haha since you bumped the thread, I should update that I never use mine anymore. I got tired of feeling like it was sucking out my insides when I take it out (yes I break the stupid seal, that barely matters), plus the stupid stem thing always ends up causing like...the equivalent of friction burns. Not so bad most of the time but obnoxious for sports! It also definitely didn't save me money since it takes me months and months to go through a box of tampons (and with shipping it cost the rough equivalent of 3-4 tampon boxes, I think).

but I might try it (or another brand) again sometime. I still like the idea, just not the reality.

Interesting.

I found Instead ridiculously uncomfortable, which is why I didn't use them, but I actually find the Diva very comfortable. It's so much easier to take out than the Instead, which I found almost painful at times.

I think the experience of learning to use those made this seem like a cake walk in comparison. I like that this doesn't cause dryness like tampons, too.

Ohhh...I should also add that I have very heavy periods. I spend a lot of money on feminine products in comparison to someone like yourself.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I've never heard of them, but my imagination makes me think the removal process will look like a murder scene.

Edit:

cropped%20diva%20inards.jpg

oh god.

I'm going to go reread this thread. Maybe I posted in here and my mind had scrubbed it out for the better.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why are you guys so freaked out by blood?

That's how I feel about human feces. It utterly disgusts me. I should never have a baby.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Oh...I forgot to add here that you can trim the stem a bit if it is so long that it's irritating your outer labial area. Also make sure it is pushed up far enough.

I think pushing it out with your vaginal muscles may help with some of the "pulling" sensation you're describing.

Again, might not be worth it to you if a box of tampon lasts you for months. Must be nice!

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:huh:

:shock:

:peepwall:

That's all I have to say to the OP.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I bet some women felt the same way about tampons when they first became popular.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would make the cups any better?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think they're fine...especially the Diva. I think Instead sucks because it's too complicated and awkward to insert and take out.

The Diva is more comfortable to insert and take out than Instead, and isn't drying like a tampon. I'm thinking in some cases women need to trim the stem, get a different size, or learn how to insert/remove it better...but that's it. After fighting with the Instead and conquering it, like I said, I find the Diva pretty great.

Some of these women just don't want to deal with cleaning it, I think.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh...I forgot to add here that you can trim the stem a bit if it is so long that it's irritating your outer labial area. Also make sure it is pushed up far enough.

I think pushing it out with your vaginal muscles may help with some of the "pulling" sensation you're describing.

Again, might not be worth it to you if a box of tampon lasts you for months. Must be nice!

Mine has a ring, not a stem, and it still pokes out and I can feel it all the time...no matter how far up I push it, it falls down lower again. I might trim it although I was a little worried about getting it out again without being able to pull on the ring. It doesn't matter how much I push out, it still has a suction hold of death on my insides. One thing I should do is try poking a bunch of extra little pinpricks to help with the suction....that's probably the main reason I don't like it. Maybe I'm just shit at breaking the seal, no matter how hard I try. :dry:

And yeah, god bless the pill. Saves me so much money in "products".

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mine has a ring, not a stem, and it still pokes out and I can feel it all the time...no matter how far up I push it, it falls down lower again. I might trim it although I was a little worried about getting it out again without being able to pull on the ring. It doesn't matter how much I push out, it still has a suction hold of death on my insides. One thing I should do is try poking a bunch of extra little pinpricks to help with the suction....that's probably the main reason I don't like it. Maybe I'm just shit at breaking the seal, no matter how hard I try. :dry:

And yeah, god bless the pill. Saves me so much money in "products".

I won't take synthetic hormones. Every time I've tried that in the past it was massive fail.

Why does yours have a ring? Order a newer model. You have the Diva right?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uhh I forget the brand since I don't have the packaging anymore. I don't think it's the Diva but it's something very similar. Ring seemed handier for gripping than a stem. But yeah, it seems like everyone has a brand (i.e. specific shape, I guess) that works best for them.