• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Haven't managed to get over 220.5 lbs yet.

I should probably get back on my protein.

Any tips for gaining muscle without having to become my own personal wolfgang puck. (don't have time to cook and cater to my diet as much b/c of law school)

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa

Any tips for gaining muscle without having to become my own personal wolfgang puck. (don't have time to cook and cater to my diet as much b/c of law school)

There is a certain ratio of protein intake to muscle mass that is required to maintain and to build. I forget what it is though.

Peanut butter, Tuna, Eggs, Soy.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did my back and shoulders after work today. For dinner tonight, I'm going a bit carb heavier than usual and have chicken with quinoa and spinach.

I have decided to switch from night exercises to morning- hubby and I tend to get into treadmill wars and so it is too hard for me to do 1 hr on it and him do his 30 minutes and then have time to spend together. I have been putting time together first. I have been doing 30 minutes on treadmill and situps but not both 5 days a week and not the 1 hr on treadmill like I wanted and made goal.

Hubby has recently gotten back into going on the treadmill every other day basically- he fell out of it for a while and just did push ups and sit ups.

I am needing to learn how to refocus and replan my day now that I have more things I am juggling.

Hey, that doesn't sound so bad. And I like that you realize you need to adjust. Lifestyles change over time, and successful exercise programs adjust to that.

Since you did something each day of the week, I'll be happy to not count it as any cheats unless you want me to.

Well, what are your options? When you do cook, always make multiple servings. That way you have leftovers. When you eat out, make sure you get enough protein and calories. You burn alot through your exercising (edit: I mean MMA training), which actually hurts your "gain muscle" goal a bit. To compensate, you need to make sure you are eating enough.

Not gaining weight? Eat more. If you continue exercising, and eating the right foods, you should have some luck. :)

Last edited:

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yikes, I didn't tweak my hamstring, I strained/sprained my knee. I'm going to rest it for a bit more and then do some low impact cardio later in the week.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

1 gram protein per pound. Start there. If you can stuff that much down, try for 2 grams per pound.

And eat more real food.

wolfy

awsm

Peanut butter, protein and oatmeal. Mix and refrigerate. Here is a couple of recipes. But you can just throw them together any old way as long as they are the right consistency.

Like Biax said, get 2 grams of protein per kg.

wolfy

awsm
Does it matter what portion of the protein intake is real and what portion is whey?

Yes, it's better to get your protein from real food. If you are going to use protein as a meal replacement casein is better than whey. It is slow releasing.

I would say in general only use whey after your workouts. Use casein as a meal replacement protein. Other times eat real food. Have casein before bed, cottage cheese is great.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Yes, it's better to get your protein from real food. If you are going to use protein as a meal replacement casein is better than whey. It is slow releasing.

I would say in general only use whey after your workouts. Use casein as a meal replacement protein. Other times eat real food. Have casein before bed, cottage cheese is great.

Word.

Thanks for the info!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bah! I keep forgetting to update.

Anyway, going great, getting to all of my classes each week, eating good, losing weight, feel more toned (not as much as before I stopped going to the gym but it's coming back quick). The Pilates is going good and is attached to a gym in the city that has boxing so I'm looking into that as my missing cardio.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

Just an addendum...2 grams per pound, is a lot of food.Which is why I said start at one gram and see how you do. A chicken breast has 30 to 45 grams per, depending on how you cook it, and the size. I prefer to eat regular meals that may be heavy on protein, and use protein powder in between. There should be no problem finding one that is casein.

Let's see, 200 pound person, 2 grams per pound, equals 400 grams of protein. Roughly 13 chicken breasts, per day. No thanks. Luckily some people have bodies that use nutrients more efficiently, so they may not need to stuff as much into their mouths. Experiment.

1 to 1 1/2 grams works well for me.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
2 grams per KG is an okay quantity (roughly 1 gram per pound). 2 grams per pound...awful, difficult to eat.

Btw, 220lbs seems pretty big to me, unless you're taller than 6'5'' (which you might be, I don't know)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have to take a day off. I'm zombielike. I fall asleep in the middle of the day. I realize you guys are surmising that it's because I'm going vegetarian but I also need to work on actually going to sleep. I'm worried that if I use my energy for working out I won't have any energy left for the kids or to take care of this house falling down around me.

I've also been really cranky, as some people can probably attest to. :rolli:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I have to take a day off. I'm zombielike. I fall asleep in the middle of the day. I realize you guys are surmising that it's because I'm going vegetarian but I also need to work on actually going to sleep. I'm worried that if I use my energy for working out I won't have any energy left for the kids or to take care of this house falling down around me.

I've also been really cranky, as some people can probably attest to. :rolli:

You don't get an energy boost after you work out? :shock:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
2 grams per KG is an okay quantity (roughly 1 gram per pound). 2 grams per pound...awful, difficult to eat.

Btw, 220lbs seems pretty big to me, unless you're taller than 6'5'' (which you might be, I don't know)

He would qualify as one of the Seven Dwarfs...Or is it eight?

He would be named Litigious.

:D

BTW...are you calling me fat? :thelook:

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, I think 2 grams per kg is enough.

I trained today. I think I'll start posting numbers so I have to record them.
Bench worked up to 92kg for 5 reps
Incline DB press 30kg 3 sets of 10
Reverse grip BB row 60kg 4 sets of 10
D/B seated cleans 15kg 2 sets of 12
30 min cycling

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a pretty interesting counter argument to the recent studies showing that anything over 20g of protein (per meal) has no affect on muscle synthesis.

It also talks a bit about the benefits of diets that have higher protein.

Limit Protein to 20g Per Meal? | Precision Nutrition