• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a question for everyone. Besides eggs, what are some healthy breakfast foods?

-Turkey bacon
-Canadian bacon
-Banana, orange

I walked to school and did 25 min weight training.

Everything's just as hard as it's always been and I haven't been improving at all. Should I up the amount I exercise?

Hap, which exercises are still really challenging? Have the fast walking days gotten any easier?

If I can feel my heart thudding when I'm doing weights, does that count as cardio?

If you maintain an elevated heart rate for >20 minutes, then yes, that counts as cardio. I've seens workouts that involve jogging in place in between lifting sets to maintain the heart rate. I don't recommend that except for very specific cases.

How are you breathing during the exercises? Are you breathing? That can sometimes be a hard thing to remember to do, and THAT can make your heart go a bit spastic. Remember, exhale when you are contracting the main muscles, and inhale during the return. Use the force of your chest contracting to exhale to help you do the hard part of the lift.

Otherwise, an increase of heart rate is pretty normal. After a brutal set, my heart will pound a bit. It usually slows back down during the rest in between sets, though. I wouldn't recommend pushing yourself any harder.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hap, which exercises are still really challenging? Have the fast walking days gotten any easier?

Anything self-resistive (pushups, v-lifts, squat exercises) and a few exercises with 15-lb dumbells.

If you maintain an elevated heart rate for >20 minutes, then yes, that counts as cardio. I've seens workouts that involve jogging in place in between lifting sets to maintain the heart rate. I don't recommend that except for very specific cases.

How are you breathing during the exercises? Are you breathing? That can sometimes be a hard thing to remember to do, and THAT can make your heart go a bit spastic. Remember, exhale when you are contracting the main muscles, and inhale during the return. Use the force of your chest contracting to exhale to help you do the hard part of the lift.

Otherwise, an increase of heart rate is pretty normal. After a brutal set, my heart will pound a bit. It usually slows back down during the rest in between sets, though. I wouldn't recommend pushing yourself any harder.

We don't really rest between sets much anymore.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ok I finished my workout! I've been getting it done early this week :cheese:

Still vegetarian and eating healthy. Even my "splurges" are healthy.

I'm down 6 pounds, and with normal "dieting" that would be a lot more, I know I weigh more when I'm gaining muscle. I'm happy with it, even if it seems a bit low for my liking.

I ended up finding out that one of my online friends lost 60 pounds about 3 years ago (and kept it off) He just ate less and exercises about an hour a day. I'm finding encouragement everywhere!

Udog: Eat whatever you want that you would eat for lunch or dinner. You don't have to stick to breakfast for breakfast. :tongue:

Also, yesterday I was just asking what I could replace lateral raises with. Thanks if anyone has suggestions.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You'll need good shoulder strength. Overhead press, dumbbell lateral raise, bent over rows, might want to throw in some wrist curls for forearms...:newwink:
And work your rotator cuff muscles...
Cool! I'm doing all those things with my workout video!
Nice to know I'm getting a well-rounded workout.
I mean, I thought I was anyway, but it's good to get confirmation.

Oh!
I did my exercises this morning! :) Yay!

Thanks to your support!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Screwed up a bit. I saw Organic Eggnog at the grocery store and curiosity got the best of me. I had 2 glasses and then dumped the rest.

DINNER: Pecan crusted salmon with steamed spinach
BREAKFAST: same as yesterday, but with an apple

Anything self-resistive (pushups, v-lifts, squat exercises) and a few exercises with 15-lb dumbells.

We don't really rest between sets much anymore.

That's (at least a part of) your problem. They are turning it more into cardio training using weights than actual weight training. That isn't really going to help your strength, and that's what you need to make body weight exercises easier.

With that in mind, you need to approach it more like you would a cardio program. Keep weights low when it's in your power to do so, and if you're comfortable with it, talk to your teacher about doing every other squat, etc. You need to pace yourself to maintain an ideal heart rate.

Hap, my other concern is that there is a period between breakfast and dinner where your protein consumption seems to be sparse, which means your body isn't getting all of the nutrition it needs to build muscle. It might be undoing some of the good from your exercising.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That's (at least a part of) your problem. They are turning it more into cardio training using weights than actual weight training. That isn't really going to help your strength, and that's what you need to make body weight exercises easier.

With that in mind, you need to approach it more like you would a cardio program. Keep weights low when it's in your power to do so, and if you're comfortable with it, talk to your teacher about doing every other squat, etc. You need to pace yourself to maintain an ideal heart rate.

Hap, my other concern is that there is a period between breakfast and dinner where your protein consumption seems to be sparse, which means your body isn't getting all of the nutrition it needs to build muscle. It might be undoing some of the good from your exercising.

I see. I guess that makes sense considering it's an aerobics class. Pretty much they have the stations, and now you're just supposed to MOVE MOVE MOVE to the next one and immediately start again.

This is all very confusing. :shock: I have to look at this more.

Also, with the breakfast thing, I'm with Elaur. If you can't find a 'breakfast' food to fit your needs, just pick something else.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Puppy - I have a whole slew of awesome breakfast food. Oatmeal, cereal (the healthy brands...), poached egg-and-ham sandwich with sauteed tomatoes, omlet with pico-de-gallo, rice with a bit of honey, cinnamon, and milk, or breakfast tacos with egg and turkey bacon, there's whole wheat english muffins with gravy (turkey meat and a bit of flour and milk), breakfast casserole, smoothies with orange juice bananas and strawberries, spinach quiche, grapefruit with a bit of honey and pumpkin-butter spread toast... Need I go on? :laugh:

Aerobics got nixed today. Krav maga as well. I'll just take the cheat day. My body's demolished and needs recovering.

wolfy

awsm
I trained my legs and stretched a lot today. My calves and achilles feel very tight lately for some reason.

In Japan the traditional breakfast is grilled salmon or natto, rice and miso soup. You can have anything for breakfast.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see. I guess that makes sense considering it's an aerobics class. Pretty much they have the stations, and now you're just supposed to MOVE MOVE MOVE to the next one and immediately start again.

This is all very confusing. :shock: I have to look at this more.

I like this article: TMUSCLE.com | Training for Newbies - Part 1

This quote below is particularly relevant to you. The numbers indicate how many repetitions you do without resting. 2 or 3 reps involve so much weight you can only do it a few times. At 20, the weight is significantly lower.

You are falling into the bottom of the list probably, which is part of the reason why lifting heavy weights isn't getting any easier.

2-3: strength with little size gain

4-5: strength and size gains, but more strength than size

6-8: strength and size gains, almost equally

9-12: strength and size gains, but more size than strength

13-15: size gains, and some muscle endurance gains

16-20: muscle endurance gains, and some size gains.

You want to stick to 10 or less if you want to focus on becoming stronger.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hit the gym for the first time this week, since I was recovering from a cold. Plan to go tomorrow and either Sat. or Sun. I've set a goal of losing 10 pounds by the end of the year. It'll keep me motivated.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Thursday: Lots of physical activity >= regular workout. Back to the gym tomorrow.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Finished my workout! Last night I had some issues with Halloweeeen candy while stuffing candy bags for preschool. I think I let up a little because I saw some weight loss. Not the best way to get to my goal.

I'm still on though, and just taking it in stride. If I don't screw up sometimes then I'm probably not going to stick to it. I need to slow down when I screw up though, it's too easy to consume too much if I eat too fast.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Finished my workout! Last night I had some issues with Halloweeeen candy while stuffing candy bags for preschool. I think I let up a little because I saw some weight loss. Not the best way to get to my goal.

I'm still on though, and just taking it in stride. If I don't screw up sometimes then I'm probably not going to stick to it. I need to slow down when I screw up though, it's too easy to consume too much if I eat too fast.
Good job! :static:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes. I think it's easier to learn how to recover gracefully from a screw up than it is to not screw up altogether. At least for me - I just don't have that level of self-discipline when it comes to something as voluntary as diet and exercise.

If you like water, drink some with your candy. You'll feel fuller faster. :)

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Did a one hour hard run today. I've set my workout plan for the next year, it'll keep me focused and on track.

Now to new year- Hard endurance running, for the intensity, mixed with some weights to build up my strength.

Jan-Mar- Low impact cardio, mostly biking and swimming. My gym has a pool and a skating rink, so I can use these when my current membership expires at the end of January and I buy an upgraded membership.

Mar-May- Running training to peak at the end of May. I have a 5k booked at the end of April. Race weekend here in Ottawa is the end of May. Tens of thousands of people run different lengths. I'll probably run a 10k for speed.

June-Mid August- Just enjoying running outdoors. Something I'm missing right now. :cry:

Mid August-October- Peak again with my running. I'll do a fall run, not sure the length, but it'll be more competitive than the spring runs.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ *jealous at upcoming pool access. Do use it!*

I worked out legs today. I've lost a pound over the past 3.5 days, but not much else to report. I cheated a small bit by having some chips at the Mexican restaurant while waiting for my meal. It was post-workout, though, and I only had a small amount. Should be okay.

I cooked some apples in butter and cinnamon yesterday. Tasty! I also cooked some ground turkey mixed with some Sweet and Spicy Thai Chili sauce and some grounded up cashews. Mixed with some spinach, of course.

Anyway, back to working on my Windows 7 installation. I deserve mad nerd-points for installing Windows 7 on a Friday night. :D

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah, whenever I think my cardio is good I just go swimming. It humbles me quickly. :D

I've not frequently gone swimming for exercise. Any tips? I think I need to really pace myself and just take it slow. Then go from there and gradually build up speed.