• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
4 weeks is enough time to possibly notice a weight change.

4 weeks is enough time to notice increased strength - that actually requires about 2 weeks, and after that muscle size may slowly start to increase. However, we've already talked about how your technique (and lack of proper instruction from your teachers!) may have been keeping you from seeing results there. I wouldn't even count the time spent before you started making adjustments.

I don't know anything about improving balance - that's completely out of my league. Sorry. :\

What is causing you to lose your balance? Is your head spinning or anything like that?

I just jump and I don't re-balance.

I really don't know. I DO know that I've had a lot of ear infections over the years, and I've heard that can cause problems...

Haphazard, strength wise it's difficult for me to notice anything until a longer time passes. I've been recently worried about my weight as well, and I didn't notice any changes until I started watching what I ate as well as exercising. If you live a very active lifestyle, you don't need to worry so much about what you eat, but for us that live normal ones diet will be an essential key to noticing weight loss. Also, I'd recommend whatever strength training you're doing to be alternating - One day Less repititions and more weight, and the next the opposite. This will build both endurance and strength. I also recommend working out until muscle failure with strength training, instead of doing repetitions. When you count, you're putting a limit on what you're muscles are capable of. So I'd just test your abilities, record them, and then don't count while you exercise for a week or so. Then come back and test them again and see how you've progressed.

Balance issues can stem a lot from a lack of strengthened core muscles - your abdominals and the muscles in your legs.

Increased abdominal work will help, and working with those huge bouncy-balls will help with balance issues too as they force the muscles that control balance to work. In aerobics class, the instructor said she can always tell who has a strengthened core by the amount of balance people have when they first get on one of those big execise balls.

I would also incorporate lunge work into your walking to help with your legs. They're easily done, hurt fast, and are god-sends for building up leg muscles and they also force you to work out the muscles that control balance in the legs. Like, lunge to a light pole or something, then walk to recover and do it again. Or maybe when you get to a light pole, do 10 pendulum lunges (where your right foot is stationary and your left foot lunges forward.. comes back to the standing position.. then lunges backwards, and goes back to the standing position again.) and then walk to the next light pole and do the other leg.

I really don't have much control over my weight routine because of school.

What's a lunge? Sounds painful.

I've never learned how to ride a bike... because I could never balance well enough to do it. :blush:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Trying to totally derail here:

I'm considering joining a gym but I don't know how to pick one. Or what to even do once I get there. I've worked out over the years but never in a gym.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Gyms are overwhelming and confusing.. :) But if you look up some routines online and print them out, you can walk in with an idea of what you like to do. Or try circuit training on all the machines and see which ones you enjoy. (circuit training is essentially get on a machine, figure it out, and do it for a minute straight, then switch to the next machine and do that one for a minute.. etc.)

To haphazard: A lunge is essentially where you stand hip-width apart (your legs) with your back pretty much straight, chin up. You take an exaggerated step forward, bending at the knees, until your knees form 90 degree angles (your thigh should be just about parallel to the floor. An easy way of knowing is when your back knee is just about to tap the floor.) without extending your knee over your toes. You then force yourself back up into the standing position using the strength in your legs.

Ear problems can throw off your balance I've heard, but if you cannot ride a bike an easy way to replace that is to lay on your back, and prop your hips up into the air with your hands and bicycle in the air. Or you can scissor your legs while on the ground.

Sitting cross-legged style and laying back and doing crunches will work out lower abdominal muscles as well. There are all kinds of ab work you can do that requires absolutely no balance ^_^

wolfy

awsm
A1 BB Standing shoulder press worked up to 57.5 for 3

B1 Incline DB press 30 3x10
B2 DB row 30 3x12

C1 DB Shoulder press
C2 DB curls
C3 DB extension

20 min elliptical.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just jump and I don't re-balance.

I really don't know. I DO know that I've had a lot of ear infections over the years, and I've heard that can cause problems...

Hap, the ear infection thing CAN make a difference. There could be other things going on, though. This is something that may be doctor worthy.

I agree with Kyuuei's advice on core strength and balance. Also, if you don't see ANY results after 4 weeks, it may be time to make some small adjustments. This is why I'm curious what your long term goals are, because we can then analyze what you do to see what may and may not be leading you towards them. It's possible you just need more time, and it's possible that you may need to make some (possibly minor) adjustments.

Here's a good video of how to do lunges: YouTube - The 'Right' Way to Do Lunges. The stuff about vertical movement in your torso is very important.

Trying to totally derail here:

I'm considering joining a gym but I don't know how to pick one. Or what to even do once I get there. I've worked out over the years but never in a gym.

I don't have any expert advice on gyms, but the thing to do is check out a couple of local gyms in your area. They'll give you a tour and explain what they offer. I *think* $30-$45 per month is a pretty standard rate, and the rates are generally negotiable. Be careful though, some gyms really try to screw you over with 'lifetime memberships', high entrance fees, and whatnot. Bally's was notorious for those kind of practices, so be especially careful with them.

I liked this article: How to Find a Gym

As for routine - it really depends on what your goals are and what is available at your gym. We'll be happy to help you create a routine if you figure out what kind of gym you want to go to.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time for my weekly drop in: yep. I have been doing all of what I am supposed to do. I only skipped one day.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I worked out today.

That makes a full week with no cheats :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hap, the ear infection thing CAN make a difference. There could be other things going on, though. This is something that may be doctor worthy.

I agree with Kyuuei's advice on core strength and balance. Also, if you don't see ANY results after 4 weeks, it may be time to make some small adjustments. This is why I'm curious what your long term goals are, because we can then analyze what you do to see what may and may not be leading you towards them. It's possible you just need more time, and it's possible that you may need to make some (possibly minor) adjustments.

Here's a good video of how to do lunges: YouTube - The 'Right' Way to Do Lunges. The stuff about vertical movement in your torso is very important.

My goal?

My end goal is to get strong enough to do my own heavy lifting. Right now, I just want to pass this class.

I'm pretty sure the balance issues are just because I'm too fat to do what the teacher is asking for.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My end goal is to get strong enough to do my own heavy lifting. Right now, I just want to pass this class.

Weight training is an excellent way to lose weight for a variety of reasons.

So your routine, as I understand it:
.8 mile to work with 10-30 pound backpack.
Exercise class @ school - varies day to day

Does that sum it up?

What type of exercises do you do in the class? Can you tell us a bit about a week in the exercise class?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Weight training is an excellent way to lose weight for a variety of reasons.

So your routine, as I understand it:
.8 mile to work with 10-30 pound backpack.
Exercise class @ school - varies day to day

Does that sum it up?

What type of exercises do you do in the class? Can you tell us a bit about a week in the exercise class?

And then I usually walk on the weekends a bit...

We do these things called 'dot drills'. You have to jump around on these five spots in various patterns, some of them require you to hop around on one foot and I either can't jump far enough or can't balance or both.

Usually it's 2 days in the wrestling room (because of the mat) and that'd be either pilates or tae-bo or something for 20-30 minutes. Then there's 2 days in the weight room which is two 4 exercise cycles with things like wall squats, various weight lifting things, push-ups, bicycles, lunge-type things, each for a minute, so that's 16 minutes usually with another exercise that the class does together, so about 20 minutes total. And then there's usually one day a week that we walk. So that's five days total.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
To Udog, in answer to your private message:

I didn't realise that the list thingie and the '6 month challenge' were different, so I guess I don't feel the need to be included into a list as it's more of a lifestyle than a challenge for me.

Love and Hugs

Eck Bear.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And then I usually walk on the weekends a bit...

We do these things called 'dot drills'. You have to jump around on these five spots in various patterns, some of them require you to hop around on one foot and I either can't jump far enough or can't balance or both.

I consider those pretty advanced, so don't worry about the lack of progress. That's the type of thing an athlete that's in pretty good shape would do during training to work on footwork, balance, and leg strength.

Just continue doing your best on those. :) Because they are fairly difficult, it might be awhile before you see notable improvement.

Usually it's 2 days in the wrestling room (because of the mat) and that'd be either pilates or tae-bo or something for 20-30 minutes. Then there's 2 days in the weight room which is two 4 exercise cycles with things like wall squats, various weight lifting things, push-ups, bicycles, lunge-type things, each for a minute, so that's 16 minutes usually with another exercise that the class does together, so about 20 minutes total. And then there's usually one day a week that we walk. So that's five days total.

Okay, so that's geared more towards cardio. How much control do you have over what exercises you do on the weight room days? Is it possible for you to get a notebook and log your weights and repetitions?

My next question is, what type of food do you eat? (Feel free to PM any of this if you rather.)

To Udog, in answer to your private message:

I didn't realise that the list thingie and the '6 month challenge' were different, so I guess I don't feel the need to be included into a list as it's more of a lifestyle than a challenge for me.

Love and Hugs

Eck Bear.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that by the end of this, it'll be a lifestyle for me and at least a few other people as well. :)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that by the end of this, it'll be a lifestyle for me and at least a few other people as well. :)
Hey bro, I hope you'll get there (without developping a huge legs syndrom : P )

Keep up the good work :)
*supportive and friendly*

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey bro, I hope you'll get there (without developping a huge legs syndrom : P )

Keep up the good work :)
*supportive and friendly*

I'm aiming for the "huge chest and arms, small legs" syndrome. It's the classic 1980's weight lifter look. :yes:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My car is in the shop, but I went to the apartment gym and did a simulated "B" schedule. Lunges, shoulder raises with dumbells, machine pull downs, dumbell rows, and some curls (for the gurls).

And of course the walking.

Of course, I had pizza last night for the first time in 12 days (a Udog record!!), and pigged out a bit. :doh: I'll be good today, though.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I did my workout twice last week but then I was sidelined by illness. Hopefully I will have my energy back in a few days and can get back into it.

I always lose weight when I get sick, but it's probly usually the bad kind of weight loss, so I am trying to combat that by eating as much protein as I can still while I'm sick.