• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

G

Glycerine

haha, that's awesome that you're curvy. :) The 120 lbs thing probably came from a height/weight chart.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gray - I'll reply to your post when I get home later today.

Signing in real quick to say I let the Arc Trainer kick my buttocks for 25 minutes, and then did the short 15-20 minute walk for cool down.

Right now I'm eating one of my lunch power smoothies - I just threw a bunch of things together:

1.75 cups organic 2% milk
dash of vanilla extract
1/2 serving of flavorless Designer Whey Protein
2 handfuls of frozen mixed fruits (mangos, peaches, strawberries, and pineapple)
~10-15 pecans
1/8 cup rolled oats
1 handful of spinach

All told, it's probably about 500-600 calories.

.... YUM! Seriously, I can't taste the spinach, and now I get all that vegetable anti-oxidant goodness.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This week was reserved for relaxation from illness. But, I've been a bit ill this week, too, not at work. (this is making my "absent mostly" notice two weeks ago seem overly silly).

Mostly I've felt fine. Still, I haven't been able to exercise at all. I've used less alcohol than last week, eaten a bit more healthily, though not much. Today I've had sweets and potato chips.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Met goals since I got back into town, including doing something fun outdoors on the weekend. Went rowing today!

Lost one additional pound while I was out of town so am on track. Yay!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, my walks through the woods are getting addicting. After I finished my social obligations and went to Trader Joe's, I ended up taking the 60 minute pathway.

My only health consolation is that I have no boozed it up at all on vacation other than a glass of champagne. :doh: Alcohol has lots of non-nutritious calories, right?

*When I get back home, I hope to take a before snapshot of my exercise goals. Timed mile, number of situps, other things- got to be brave enough to see how I am before I can improve!

Yes. One glass of wine a day can actually have a positive health effect, but heavy drinking = lots o' calories. Booze is not diet friendly.

And the exercise snapshot is a great idea. I am going to start logging my exercises tomorrow, and may occasionally share my progress on here.

As for the vacation - how often do you get to go to Germany? If it's not that often, I say it would be a greater sin to NOT enjoy the German hospitality. There's little need to feel guilty! Your penance will be starting up your exercise routine when you get home, and then all will be forgiven. :D

I don't understand the charts. I'm definitely more one of these

2.2 mi

40 minutes

How are the ankles doing?

As for the charts, they are guidelines and nothing else. They don't factor in frame, muscle mass, what clothes you are wearing, how much water you just drank, or anything else that can affect your numbers.

Your body frame suggests you will be on the high end of the range, and once you gain some muscle, may not fit into it at all. The charts are not law, so don't give them importance they do not warrant.

it is called an alarm clock! :yim_rolling_on_the_

:headphne: <anyone else do this on the treadmill?

Me and my alarm clock do not get along well. My problem is that the part of my mind that can grasp all those wonderful things you've stated isn't awake yet. By the time I'm awake for an hour, I'm slapping myself. However, when it comes to first thing in the morning the only thing on my mind is MORE SLEEEEEEP.

And yes, I have that look all the time while on the treadmill. :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yesterday I didn't walk (grocery shopping night), didn't do crunches, drank two regular sodas and a part of a diet. I think. Did eat some salad.

Today I did crunches, walked (went for an extra walk with the kids earlier, too), haven't had my one soda yet but will, ate a salad and a nectarine.

I've seen a picture or two of you. You are very pretty.
:blush: Thank you.
Is 1 Coke Zero and 1 real soda an acceptable place to start? Also, drink the real soda after you do your crunches and walk with your husband. Your muscles will need to have glucose replenished, so a higher percentage of the calories will go towards that vs being converted into fat. PLUS, you can view the soda as a reward for exercising on those days. That subtle shift in mental attitude can pay off weeks/months down the road.

I do not recommend quitting your soda habit altogether right now. There's no reason you should do something that feels like punishment.

Here's what I'd do--get down to just 1 can or even half a can a day, and up your exercise. Then if you start seeing results, you might not even want the soda. (It works that way for me.) And if you're seeing results, you may be able to keep some soda in, just less than you used to drink. It might take a little while to see results, so don't panic. Also, drinking soda once a day won't cause blood sugar spikes all day long like spacing them throughout the day. I like Coke Zero a lot, but diet drinks usually only work for me as a replacement for the second sugary drink I would have had. Like you, I 'd feel deprived if I totally replaced all my favorite stuff with diet stuff. If you just try to drink less (and one time a day) of the regular Coke, I think you'll still do okay. It's always better not to think in a "diet" mindset, I think. Too easy to go, "Screw this! I'm doing what I want!" :smile:
Thanks for the input, guys. It's helping me work through how I want to go about managing myself. I always feel like an immature baby for not just doing what I'm supposed to do. I almost always do what I want to do, but sometimes I can negotiate with myself. :spam_laser:

I bought some of the little 8oz. glass bottles of Coke at Sam's. For some reason they taste better than the soda in plastic or metal containers to me. They are pricey and I am a tightwad, so I think I can get myself to drink just one a day. It feels like an indulgence, not just because it's tasty, but because it's pricey. I will probably end up drinking it at night because that's my down time and also because, even if I drink it earlier in the day, I will still want one at the end of the day and I am unlikely to say no to myself. :doh:

I don't think I'm going to take to the diet soda, but I can do sweet tea, which still has sugar, but nothing like soda has because I don't like it super sweet. If I only have the one 8 oz soda, and mildly sweet tea, it should be a net reduction. That's my current plan. We'll see how it plays out.

The crunches are getting easier so I'm considering adding another minute or two to the routine. Probably try something besides ab stuff, though. Maybe some kind of arm curl? I can use canned vegetables for weights or something.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Today I did crunches, walked (went for an extra walk with the kids earlier, too), haven't had my one soda yet but will, ate a salad and a nectarine.

Great!

I almost always do what I want to do, but sometimes I can negotiate with myself. :spam_laser:

Hah! I'm the same way. Sometimes I have to trick myself since the direct approach doesn't always work. :D

I bought some of the little 8oz. glass bottles of Coke at Sam's. For some reason they taste better than the soda in plastic or metal containers to me.

This makes sense. Soda in the aluminum cans always has an aftertaste to me. Plastic bottles are slightly porous, and can take up flavors from the environment.

I don't think I'm going to take to the diet soda, but I can do sweet tea, which still has sugar, but nothing like soda has because I don't like it super sweet. If I only have the one 8 oz soda, and mildly sweet tea, it should be a net reduction. That's my current plan. We'll see how it plays out.

The crunches are getting easier so I'm considering adding another minute or two to the routine. Probably try something besides ab stuff, though. Maybe some kind of arm curl? I can use canned vegetables for weights or something.

I like how you are thinking about this stuff. That alone is a huge step. :)

A recommendation I picked up from this site is to use 1 gallon milk jugs. (Or 1/2 gallon if that's what you have.) You can fill them with water to make them heavier as you get stronger.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
How are the ankles doing?

As for the charts, they are guidelines and nothing else. They don't factor in frame, muscle mass, what clothes you are wearing, how much water you just drank, or anything else that can affect your numbers.

Your body frame suggests you will be on the high end of the range, and once you gain some muscle, may not fit into it at all. The charts are not law, so don't give them importance they do not warrant.

They feel better than Thursday, but still when I walk it's not even. The route is hilly and I didn't fall down though, then again I was on a sidewalk.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They feel better than Thursday, but still when I walk it's not even. The route is hilly and I didn't fall down though, then again I was on a sidewalk.

I'm glad they are feeling better. I'm wondering if the joints are just not used to the physical exertion. If that's the case, they'll get better as you continue on.

Although I do hope you are resting them over the weekend. Giving them a chance to rest is very important.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That sounds like a perfect solution, cafe! The little glass bottles will make it feel more like a treat, too!

Good day today--ate leftover pasta, plus squash, broccoli and avocado for lunch, and made myself a spectacular omelette (2 egg white/1 egg, shrimp, asparagus, fresh mushrooms, onion, green onion, spinach) for dinner. Having a Virgin Mary for evening snack as I type. Going to take off exercise-wise today. I've met my goal, and I need to grade some journals tonight.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm keeping up with my five times a week schedule, but I'm starting to get a little bit of pain at the front of my shins and in my left heel when I'm on the treadmill for a while. It's nothing that's like OMG HURT, but it's definitely discomfort. Could this be shin splints (which I have no idea what they are)? It's not enough that I'm going to cut down my schedule, but it's enough that I think about it.

Also, as far as treadmills go, I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What increases the cardio benefit more...the speed of the treadmill, the uphill angle, or the length of time?

Thanks!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
my ankles are killing me from my 3 mile walk today! in the rain.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm keeping up with my five times a week schedule, but I'm starting to get a little bit of pain at the front of my shins and in my left heel when I'm on the treadmill for a while. It's nothing that's like OMG HURT, but it's definitely discomfort. Could this be shin splints (which I have no idea what they are)? It's not enough that I'm going to cut down my schedule, but it's enough that I think about it.

I've had mucho problems with shin splints in the past, it's painful, annoying and without a quick fix, if the pain - might be a tingling kinda feeling and/or a numb painful feeling that is accentuated if you firmly run your fingers down your shins, I don't know shit about human biology but you should be able to feel the inflammation in between the nobbly thingo bits - if that's there and continues to progressively get worse then chances are good you have a problem.

I'm no expert but the shins combined with the heel soreness scream warning bells that your footwear is not giving proper support for your running style. Most people who work in athletic shops take the job cause they don't have to clean up the restroom after a customer throws up like they do at McDonalds, they don't know what they're talking about so they won't be able to fix that for you.

Shin splints only get better by not doing anything, I guess this would have a rather negative effect on your exercise regime so if it gets worse I strongly suggest going to see a podiatrist and having them check your feet and what happens when you walk/run so they can see if there are any problems and recommend what athletic shoes would give you proper support.

Otherwise, treadmills (and running in general) is one of the harshest things on your feet and legs, ecliptical machines are better as there's no jarring action, if you can use them instead or something similar I highly recommend it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm glad they are feeling better. I'm wondering if the joints are just not used to the physical exertion. If that's the case, they'll get better as you continue on.

Although I do hope you are resting them over the weekend. Giving them a chance to rest is very important.

:shock: oops.

I'll... take a break today, then.

wolfy

awsm
Also, as far as treadmills go, I have a question for anyone that can answer it. What increases the cardio benefit more...the speed of the treadmill, the uphill angle, or the length of time?

Thanks!

All of the above. Here is an awesome article on cardio progressions. Cardio Progressions.

Also here is a very good article on how to organise your training best for fat loss. These rules apply for training in general too.The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Workout:

60 minutes elliptical level 12-13 random (10 second intervals), 5 minutes cool down level 6 manual, 8.5 km, 915 kcal

60 minutes stepper fat burner level 5-6 (1 minute intervals), 5 minutes cool down level 1 manual, about 7 km (can't remember exactly), 212 flights, 407 kcal

Calories burned: about 1300

Calories consumed today: about 1500

Later on, I will do some ironing and cleaning (I hope!). So that probably counts as well....

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thanks!

I agree with Trinity. Especially this \/

Otherwise, treadmills (and running in general) is one of the harshest things on your feet and legs, elliptical machines are better as there's no jarring action, if you can use them instead or something similar I highly recommend it.

That may give your shins some relief without having to sacrifice your exercise routine. If you've never been on an elliptical before it might be a bit weird at first, but you should learn quickly.

Another note about treadmills: The belt you walk on is powered, so walking/jogging on them is easier than walking in real life. Setting it to a 1% incline or higher will help compensate for that a bit.

my ankles are killing me from my 3 mile walk today! in the rain.

In the rain!? That actually sounds kind of fun. I hope you also take a well deserved break.

:shock: oops.

I'll... take a break today, then.

Enjoy it; you've earned it and then some. :) Remember, without the breaks you aren't exercising - you are just physically punishing your body.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All of the above. Here is an awesome article on cardio progressions. Cardio Progressions.

That's a pretty good article. (I worry it may have a bit too much jargon to those that haven't been studying this stuff for awhile.) Basically it seems to talk about 3 forms of progression, and they are all valuable:

1. Increase the time you spend doing cardio.
2. Increase the intensity by either increasing the incline, level, or speed.
3. This one was new to me! Increase your load via weight vest.
This strategy is especially useful during periods of weight loss. Technically, rather than actually loading your cardio, you're actually replacing the load that you've lost. And this is a huge asset as the same amount of cardio, once you've lost weight, is much less effective.

After all, 30 minutes of walking done four times per week at 200 pounds is more calorie-costly vs. 30 minutes of walking done four times per week at 185 dieted-down pounds. So why not walk at 200 pounds for a few weeks, then 210 pounds, and so on — regardless of how much body weight you're carrying?​
I love that last point, because it partially explains why so many people see great results early on and then stagnate. They lose weight, so that 30 minute cardio exercise isn't as difficult as it was 1 month ago! Combine that with lower weight = lower basal metabolism, and you have 2 challenges that must be overcome if someone wishes to continue losing weight over a period of time.

Also here is a very good article on how to organise your training best for fat loss. These rules apply for training in general too.The Hierarchy of Fat Loss by Alwyn Cosgrove

This article was really good as well. We need to bookmark this one for later, as it offers alot of good recommendations for those that can't seem to lose fat.
You'll notice that this is perhaps the opposite recommendations from what you typically read in the mainstream media. Usually fat loss recommendations start with low intensity aerobics, progress to high intensity aerobics, then intervals. Finally, when you're "in shape" they recommend resistance training.​
Here is what I am doing right now:

1. Improved diet.
2. Resistance Training. (Weight lifting. Increases lean mass, which in turn increases metabolism. By building some muscle, I burn more calories sitting around doing nothing.)
3. Moderate cardio. Elliptical and Arc Trainer.

That's really cool that some exercises can increase your metabolism for up to 38 hours after you've finished them. I'll need to look into that when I'm ready to optimize a bit.

Wolfy: Do you have any good articles on High Intensity Anaerobic Interval Training?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think I've lost a couple of pounds--don't have a scale, don't want one, but I can look at myself and tell it's coming off my lower half. Yay! Motivation to continue. I feel a lot better than I did a couple of weeks ago, mainly b/c I've cut WAY down on sugar and preservatives, and I'm eating more fruits, veggies and healthy protein. Also being more diligent about vitamins and supplements.