• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Considering I can barely get up without feeling the intense urge to vomit right now, and on a normal day I can't even jog for a single minute, I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

Going to work should be fun today.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, I just think that slipping, as I am prone to do, and breaking my ankle on ice, is rather counterproductive.

Feel free to disagree with me.
problem
Considering I can barely get up without feeling the intense urge to vomit right now, and on a normal day I can't even jog for a single minute, I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

Going to work should be fun today.
problem
defeatism

If you make more of an effort to focus on finding solutions rather than complaining about problems blocking your path, you'll be happier and more productive with your fitness goals.

Ex:

"the grounds snowy so I guess I'll do some jumping jacks and exercises I looked up with a simple google search indoors instead of braving the elements for my usual run!"
"I'm not losing as much weight as I hoped so I'll have to work harder on my diet and exercise plan! Maybe I'll research some new ideas, too"
"I can't jog for a single minute right now - I need to work hard on improving my cardio so I feel better doing everyday activities!"
"I can barely get up without vomiting, I'm going to ask my doctor about it because that doesn't sound healthy"

Orrrr you can see problems in front of you and stop, sit in the road and cry about how life sucks. Your choice.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I should stop doing crunches because even a single somewhat positive post here gets me attacked.

To be entirely honest, heavy cardio, like you guys reccomend, often gives me panic attacks, and considering the amount of panic I have to endure regularly, and that panic isn't the most heart-healthy thing...

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I just told my mum about my plan to do the half-marathon in May. She just said, "Isn't that 13 miles? Are you going to be able to run all that?"
This is why I don't confide my plans in my parents *sigh*

In other news, I walked at a brisk pace to my flute lesson today, which took 50 minutes. Not much, but every little helps right? :tongue:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I should stop doing crunches because even a single somewhat positive post here gets me attacked.

It's because you are always complaining and apparently trying to get people to feel sorry for you for the tiniest of reasons, and that's not what the thread is about.

I usually don't respond to you because I think it just feeds into your "woe is me" show.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's because you are always complaining and apparently trying to get people to feel sorry for you for the tiniest of reasons, and that's not what the thread is about.

I usually don't respond to you because I think it just feeds into your "woe is me" show.

I thought this thread was about encouragement, but for me, it only seems to be how even trying to put any effort into something is just criticized as not being near enough to have an effect on anything.

Which, fine, may be true. Fuck, it's probably more than true. But when even thinking about running causes panic induced chest pains and everyone's telling me to do it over and over and over again because it's the only way I'll ever not die in five years of a heart attack, well, that's more than a little discouraging.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought this thread was about encouragement, but for me, it only seems to be how even trying to put any effort into something is just criticized as not being near enough to have an effect on anything.

I'm from West Virginia. I've walked miles in the snow to work or school, or even just to get to the nearest bus stop. Get you a good pair of boots with traction so you won't slip, and the extra effort it takes to walk through snow might build up your leg muscles.

Which, fine, may be true. Fuck, it's probably more than true. But when even thinking about running causes panic induced chest pains and everyone's telling me to do it over and over and over again because it's the only way I'll ever not die in five years of a heart attack, well, that's more than a little discouraging.

You're not going to die from a heart attack in five years, unless you plan to start smoking crack or have some kind of congenital heart problem...what are you, 18? Why would you die from a heart attack?

Like people have said, start looking at solutions instead of problems. People here are trying to encourage you, and you just smack away any suggestions that might be helpful.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hey my grandfather died at like age 35 of a heart attack before heart attacks were the cool thing to have, you know. Don't knock early heart attacks.

You live in West Virginia?

What a coincidence! I live in Minnesota!

...Oh wait, that's not a coincidence at all...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey my grandfather died at like age 35 of a heart attack before heart attacks were the cool thing to have, you know. Don't knock early heart attacks.

You live in West Virginia?

What a coincidence! I live in Minnesota!

...Oh wait, that's not a coincidence at all...

I have a friend who lives in Siberia (no joke). I've seen photos of him and his friends and family in the snow. Miraculously, they have all managed to survive. :coffee:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's really fascinating what happens to snow. They have ploughs that try to clear the sidewalk, but they leave a sizeable layer behind. This layer is packed down by 50,000 people walking on it every day, and the top layer is melted by this friction and refrozen until it turns to ice. And this is what coats the sidewalks here.

I still walk many miles every day, but you know, because I'm such a fatass I need to run or walk at least 10 miles more or more, and so I'll have to run on ice. I really don't care how fantastic your snow boots are, unless you're willing to ship me a free pair of cleats, I'm not going to attempt it.

And you seem to be skirting the idea of me having a heart-attack at 23 years of age. Considering, it seems rather likely.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is mildly off-topic, but I used to live in Minnesota and the winters are impressive. The last year I was there it stayed around 30 below (probably with windchill, but I don't remember for certain) for two weeks straight. It was the beginning of January and I moved into an apartment. When I moved my humidifier, some water dropped out and froze instantly when it hit the ground. It was amazing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
And you seem to be skirting the idea of me having a heart-attack at 23 years of age. Considering, it seems rather likely.

I think you may have some sort of psychological disorder that mere internet advice will not be able to overcome. In all seriousness I recommend that you see someone about this.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think you may have some sort of psychological disorder that mere internet advice will not be able to overcome. In all seriousness I recommend that you see someone about this.

The last time I tried they advised me to go to urgent care for physical illness. The last time I did they advised me to see a psychologist, so...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's probable that you're a hypochondriac or may even have Munchausen syndrome, coupled with generalized anxiety or panic disorder.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Getting back to the god-damn point...

Monday: --
Tuesday: Hatha Yoga
Wedneday: Folk Dance, Strength Training, Zumba, Pilates.

:zens out:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

To be entirely honest, heavy cardio, like you guys reccomend, often gives me panic attacks, and considering the amount of panic I have to endure regularly, and that panic isn't the most heart-healthy thing...

(Forgive me, I'm doing this for the second time around. Stupid internet going down.)

You should not ever be attacked for participation in this thread. Ever. Total no-go.

Sometimes people find it hard to understand entirely.. that just because they are capable of something does not mean everyone is. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. And you are absolutely right, this thread was for people to challenge THEMSELVES and for others to encourage and support them. This thread is an encouragement thread, so positive attitudes only kthnx.

With that said. Sometimes, it is beneficial to see what others have to say. We can only go based on what you post.. for all we know, you post here to gripe about the small things that get in your way, but IRL you handle them with grace and the obstacles are jumped over successfully. We don't know. We only have the posts to go by..

You do tend to sound a bit defeatist in your posts. I think we're only getting half the story, because it sounds like you're offended by people pointing that out.. but it is beneficial to know what others perceive as well, is it not? Maybe this is a chance to realize maybe you are sounding too negative in a thread made to be positive and encouraging.. or maybe that others are noticing a trend of negativity in your posts. A lot can be taken from the perception of others, whether it's entirely the truth or not.

In the end.. in this thread, we want to see the participants happy, and active, and looking at solutions to their challenges and obstacles. Maybe you can turn that winter frown upside down maybe? :) Encouragement is shown in all different ways.. some people like shocking, blunt honesty.. and some people prefer soft, quiet nudges of positive feedback without any sense of judgement. I think you just prefer the latter is all. There's nothing wrong with that. But try to understand people can be encouraging you even if it is in ways you don't quite like as much.

It's really fascinating what happens to snow. They have ploughs that try to clear the sidewalk, but they leave a sizeable layer behind. This layer is packed down by 50,000 people walking on it every day, and the top layer is melted by this friction and refrozen until it turns to ice. And this is what coats the sidewalks here.

I still walk many miles every day, but you know, because I'm such a fatass I need to run or walk at least 10 miles more or more, and so I'll have to run on ice. I really don't care how fantastic your snow boots are, unless you're willing to ship me a free pair of cleats, I'm not going to attempt it.

You're not a bad person. I cannot imagine stepping foot outside in ice everyday @_@ I can barely tolerate it for snowboarding! :laugh:

So, allow me to use another approach to encouragement in my own personal way: I like to lead by example, and enabling. So, if I see a solution to a problem, I offer that.. So, it seems like heavy cardio and other fast-paced activities are a bit worrisome for you. That's not a problem though, there are plenty of activities that don't require that at all :) Jumping can be harsh on your joints, but what about this?

A regime heavy in free, soft-spoken exercises can still do a lot of good and I promise everything I suggest will be totally free. :) You can take these ideas or leave them.

1. I suggest starting to use some free weights. Dumbbells usually cost money.. and sometimes on craigslist they'll be giving items away for free, but you generally need transportation. The solution: Make your own for free!

What you need:
Quart, Half, or full gallon jugs cleaned out
Water or sand

They're totally customizable, adjustable, and you wrap gripping tape around the handle or even seal the top if you're worried about it spilling, but I think it'll be just fine. I use these all the time, and you can decorate them if you feel like they aren't pretty enough :)

Using free weights will be a soft way to strengthen yourself, which builds muscle, which burns fat. There are all kinds of gentle, beginner exercises online you can do with them, so building a starting point there gives you strength training.

2. Adjust your current regime.

You do a lot of walking, which totally rocks, and I think walking is just as good as running and jumping and all that crazy stuff! Keep it up! But!! Here's something you can do to challenge yourself and make it a bit better: Use ankle weights. Again, those cost money, but this website has a way to make them for free :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5200619_make-own-ankle-weights.html

Some long socks, some sand in a ziploc snack bag or even smooth pebbles, and you're on your way! Just put a bit of them in the end, tie a knot, and tie them around your ankles over your clothes (incase they chafe or something..) before you go walking anywhere. Try to keep your same pace, with the added weight, and the best part is you can add weight easily by adding more socks or more rocks/sand. It won't really put you off balance if you keep them consistent on your ankles, but it'll give your legs some strength training.

3. Also.. I recommend youtube videos. They save my life in the winter, when I don't feel like going anywhere to work out outside. If I could recommend someone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk"].[/YOUTUBE]

This woman here is an awesome personality. She's gentle, and encouraging, and never pressuring or fast paced. My mother is very soft hearted, and gets discouraged easily during workouts, and she really liked this woman and her DVD series. It's a walk-at-home system, and it even has mile markers. It's a non-strenuous way of getting some cardio in at home. Her series is really awesome, and I don't feel like she'd make you panic or freak out because she's such a sweet lady.

4. Add stretching to your regime.

I believe you already attempted stretching before, and had some difficulty with it.. but I'd like to emphasize that stretching is a very gentle way of strengthening your muscles. Everyone from body builders to couch potatoes can benefit from it, and there are plenty of poses and ways to help.

http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/ss/warmupstretches.htm

These stretches are designed for walkers, so before you go walking take 10 minutes or so to do some of them and you'll get a lot more out of your walking. :)

Yoga may seem really intimidating, but there are some very basic moves that anyone can do that will help a lot. Adding just a bit of basic yoga will increase flexibility. Yoga also is calming, so it may help some..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGbuJwPhE3w This is a very basic pose that you don't have to be able to do immediately.. you can simply switch legs or sit in the pose as best as you can until your body adapts to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPjqFfIjG8&feature=related Another very simple move that you don't need to be completely flexible for.

Sometimes, with youtube, if you don't have an idea of what to look for it can be hard to find things. You have to know what to type in. :) so these videos may give you suggestions to related videos that you might like more as well, or give you the rest of the series in that category.

I hope you like my suggestions, and keep out of the cold! :workout: Don't get discouraged!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(getting back on topic)

yesterday: really really didn't want to, had a bad headache, really tired and pretty cranky, and I was starving (workout right before dinner usually, and it was a longer day at work). I think this thread actually helped push me over into doing it anyway, so yay. I was glad I did in the end, which is usually the case assuming you don't go over your limits. so, legs and back for 40 minutes. didn't do abs like I normally would, but I'm ok with that since I could barely convince myself to do the main workout. Getting into the routine of doing p90x at least 4x/week is the immediate goal for me. I know if I stop doing it very regularly, it'll be really hard for me to start up again, even after only a day or two off. So that's why I'm aiming for 4x/week, ideally spaced every other day or at least no more than two days off. Know thyself and all that.

and, only a little sore today. woot woot! soccer tonight. :D

So that makes 3 for this week since Sunday: shoulders/back, cardio, legs/back. only arms left to do, maybe tonight or maybe better would be tomorrow.

I like the routine of 3 strength training/wk plus 2 cardio (1 workout, 1 at soccer). I think I'll be able to I'll do my best to god dammit, I will stick to this routine at least until christmas starts to interfere, then start up again right after and stick to it meticulously for at least one month to make it a routine. :cheese: I don't even care about improving right now (though it'd be nice), the challenge for me will be sticking to the routine and actually doing it.

I might throw in a stretch or yoga workout in the mix, but won't try to make that a routine since I'm running out of days here! and I need some "flex days".

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
2.3 miles, 30 minutes. That was my workout for Week 9 Day 1 of c25k - only two runs left before I "graduate" from the program! *tear* It was super cold tonight, and I'm pretty damn tired, so the slow pace doesn't bother me too much. Anyway, time for a shower and bed methinks! *yawn*