• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Done.

I almost managed to sabotage myself on the very first day. Being on vacation has messed up my sleep and eating patterns. It took a nap, a walk, coffee, and a huge healthy meal to get my energy back up.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I've started a notepad file so I'll be charting my daily progress and probably reporting a summary of each week's progress on Sunday night :) It feels good to be organized.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Great on the eating today. Also went for a walk/run 45 minutes. Resisted tempting staff room goodies. Lots of walking as well today at school. Kyeuii makes me feel pretty lazy though!

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm in!

My weekly goals are as follows:

5 x 30 minutes cardio
5 x 10 push-ups
5 x 30 crunches
7 x stretching routine

I would also like to lose 50 pounds by the end of the 6 months.

I haven't exercised on a regular basis in more than two years, and this is what I've found I can do right now in one session without tiring so much that I use bad form. When I've exercised before, I've found that the original amounts can quickly grow, so hopefully they will. I'll check in weekly. Good luck to everyone!

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yay, I love reading about everyone's exercising triumphs! (And don't worry about the eating fidelia. I had, like, a full day of greasy airplane/port food and another day of being stuffed full of German food. I have no idea how rude it is or isn't to finish food here, but apparently there's no such thing as a doggie bag. I'm going to try and stick to my at home dietary goals of two servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables a day today. :) )

Did about 40 minutes of light jogging last night by some pond/lake thing last night. Didn't accidently mistake a dirt road for a trail and impede traffic/trespass *too* many times. No one here is obsessed with green verdant lawns. Think I'm going to have to add stretching to the end of my exercise routines. I got a killer leg cramp while I was napping yesterday and had forgotten how much they suck.

Do sit-ups work? I hate doing sit ups.

Thanks Udog for setting everything up! Being in it together makes discipline easier.

50 pounds, FMW?! Ambitious man.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^^^ Sure there is!

You can ask if you can take the rest home. Just many times, it's not that common.

"Könnten Sie den Rest einpacken?"
"Wir möchten den Rest mitnehmen."

No worries. :D Of course, don't ask for a doggie bag, or they will think your dog shat under the table.

:cheese:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Okay. I'm going to get started now.
  • Make 5 min playlist for iPod x
  • Try to find tape measure x
  • Measure offensive midsection region x
  • Try to do 5 min of crunches
Reward: go back to bed and read, possibly sleep

Edit: Okay. I just about freaked a minute ago. My waist kept measuring bigger than my chest. :shock: I had the tape measure the wrong way around. :blush:

Biggest part of gut in relaxed state is 34.25 inches.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It just doesn't seem right that I go from struggling up stairs for hours after a workout to completely fine in less than a week.

What you describe almost sounds like soreness, or a slight muscle pull. Although Thursday-Monday is a short recovery time from that, so I don't know.

One note - if your muscle is that sore, don't exert it until it feels better again. Light exercise like a brisk walk, hike, or elliptical is okay. Recovery is an important part to building muscle, so don't cheat yourself of it.

And if it happens again - please, see a doctor. There could be something bigger going on. I'd hate to see something happen to you.

Got up and worked out first thing this morning. Go, me! We will not discuss the eating plan. :p

I tried to start a diet and exercise routine at the same time recently, and failed miserably. See, if I were in a bubble I could do it no problem - but when you add those annoying real life factors it's simply too much. It's perfectly okay to do exercise for a few weeks before going hardcore into the diet.

I almost managed to sabotage myself on the very first day. Being on vacation has messed up my sleep and eating patterns. It took a nap, a walk, coffee, and a huge healthy meal to get my energy back up.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm making a note of it since I think I may do something similar in a time of need.

I'm in!

My weekly goals are as follows:

5 x 30 minutes cardio
5 x 10 push-ups
5 x 30 crunches
7 x stretching routine

I would also like to lose 50 pounds by the end of the 6 months.

I haven't exercised on a regular basis in more than two years, and this is what I've found I can do right now in one session without tiring so much that I use bad form. When I've exercised before, I've found that the original amounts can quickly grow, so hopefully they will. I'll check in weekly. Good luck to everyone!

Welcome FM! That sounds like a good starting plan to me. It *is* important to not overdo it early on, and honestly, I'm just as excited about seeing how people increase their exercise goals as this progresses as I am about seeing who makes it the 6 months. To me, the gains are the best sign people are doing this right. :yes:

I think your weight goals are admirable (and they pretty much echo mine, actually), but keep in mind you will likely experience plateaus. It's very doable, but challenging enough it's not quite guaranteed even if you do everything right.

Great on the eating today. Also went for a walk/run 45 minutes. Resisted tempting staff room goodies. Lots of walking as well today at school. Kyeuii makes me feel pretty lazy though!

She really is quite the inspiration. I'll know I'm doing well when I approach her level of physical activity.

Yay, I love reading about everyone's exercising triumphs!

Do sit-ups work? I hate doing sit ups.

Exercising during your vacation period is smart. Shade me the color of 'pleased'. :)

As far as situps, they're alright. I've read mixed things - there are plenty of other ways to focus on ab strength. Someone else might be better equipped to offer specific ab workouts.

Anyway, body fat percentage plays the biggest factor in the 6-pack look - if that's what you are going for.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On holidays atm but checking in to bookmark the thread. Once I get back into the swing my first point of call is finding a new exercise routine as I just left my gym, I've been looking at a Krav Maga place that also incorporates Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Eskrima and Wing Chun into their training program instead of a gym as it sounds fun so next week I plan on checking out their three trial classes that they offer. There's also an Aikido place that is worth checking out to compare with. Further to that I want to find somewhere that offers either yoga or reformer pilates.

My aims are to have a program that I can do at least 3 times a week that is fun, holistic and high intensity, I want to incorporate one session of high cv work, one session of yoga/pilates and a third that concentrates on martial arts technique. It's hard to plan more specific goals until I find the training routine that I'm going to follow, I need something more than just doing exercise when I feel like it, I need session times or it won't happen. So step one is checking out the two martial arts places I've seen.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What you describe almost sounds like soreness, or a slight muscle pull. Although Thursday-Monday is a short recovery time from that, so I don't know.

One note - if your muscle is that sore, don't exert it until it feels better again. Light exercise like a brisk walk, hike, or elliptical is okay. Recovery is an important part to building muscle, so don't cheat yourself of it.

And if it happens again - please, see a doctor. There could be something bigger going on. I'd hate to see something happen to you.

B-but it's at a class at school... they do not allow breaks... This is what I do not understand, if you're supposed to allow yourself to recover, how are you supposed to allow yourself if you have to exercise every Monday-Friday no matter what. They tell us one thing and make us do another.

It just seemed weird that the right was manageably sore for a day and the other was not.

I am not sore at all today.

I also do not understand why exercises that are supposed to work my arms make my legs shake and give out. This is probably why it didn't work yesterday.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edit: Okay. I just about freaked a minute ago. My waist kept measuring bigger than my chest. :shock: I had the tape measure the wrong way around. :blush:

:D But think, you could fix the tape measure 3 weeks down the road and brag about your awesome improvements!!

My aims are to have a program that I can do at least 3 times a week that is fun, holistic and high intensity, I want to incorporate one session of high cv work, one session of yoga/pilates and a third that concentrates on martial arts technique. It's hard to plan more specific goals until I find the training routine that I'm going to follow, I need something more than just doing exercise when I feel like it, I need session times or it won't happen. So step one is checking out the two martial arts places I've seen.

That does sound like it has fun potential! Why did you quit your gym, if I may ask?

B-but it's at a class at school... they do not allow breaks... This is what I do not understand, if you're supposed to allow yourself to recover, how are you supposed to allow yourself if you have to exercise every Monday-Friday no matter what. They tell us one thing and make us do another.

I am not sore at all today.

Do they force you to do the same exercises everyday?

There are two options I'm aware of - if any of this is off someone please correct me:
1. If it's the same circuit everyday, only mildly push yourself. Go for repetitions instead of pushing yourself with a higher weight. That'll reduce soreness and still help you burn calories and tone up a bit.

2. If you have some freedom on what exercises you do, break it into muscle groups. As one example: Legs one day, chest and triceps the next, and back and Biceps to finish. Do a moderate ab exercise everyday. That'll give certain muscle groups a few days off to rest, even as you hit the gym everyday.

S

Sniffles

On holidays atm but checking in to bookmark the thread. Once I get back into the swing my first point of call is finding a new exercise routine as I just left my gym, I've been looking at a Krav Maga place that also incorporates Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Eskrima and Wing Chun into their training program instead of a gym as it sounds fun so next week I plan on checking out their three trial classes that they offer.

Krav Maga is certainly a fascinating combat art. So have fun and good luck on that. :yes:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Do they force you to do the same exercises everyday?

There are two options I'm aware of - if any of this is off someone please correct me:
1. If it's the same circuit everyday, only mildly push yourself. Go for repetitions instead of pushing yourself with a higher weight. That'll reduce soreness and still help you burn calories and tone up a bit.

2. If you have some freedom on what exercises you do, break it into muscle groups. As one example: Legs one day, chest and triceps the next, and back and Biceps to finish. Do a moderate ab exercise everyday. That'll give certain muscle groups a few days off to rest, even as you hit the gym everyday.

It's only about the same circuit, except the days that we walk.

days that we walk I have to push myself as much as I can just to keep up at minimum.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That does sound like it has fun potential! Why did you quit your gym, if I may ask?

Sure hope so! And nope, don't mind but the answer is long, let's just say I had a complaint with the gym management and their way of dealing with it was unsatisfactory and disappointing to me.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's only about the same circuit, except the days that we walk.

days that we walk I have to push myself as much as I can just to keep up at minimum.

What kind of exercise class has you do the exact same exercises every day? Bah! At the very least, I hope they alter the circuit after a few weeks.

As for the walking, that'll likely get easier as you do it more.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Ran 4 miles last night - hardly broke a sweat. Will have to increase my pace; change my resistance/terrain to ensure continuity.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you been practicing swimming at all? To me, that is the single most draining cardio I've ever done in my life. Even when I could run 4 miles without really stressing my breathing (sigh, a long time ago), swimming would kill me pretty quickly.

How do you train for the swimming portion of a triathlon?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Aerobics class - Complete.

Mission: Level 2 work out. Start.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Have you been practicing swimming at all? To me, that is the single most draining cardio I've ever done in my life. Even when I could run 4 miles without really stressing my breathing (sigh, a long time ago), swimming would kill me pretty quickly.

+1. Swimming works EVERYTHING. I was on the swim team in high school and was a lifeguard, and I think it's definitely the best exercise I've ever done. If I were close to a pool, I'd be adding that to my exercise now.