• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypeC Exercise Challenge! Anyone interested?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve noticed a lot of members starting to get into the exercise kick around here, and I figured a contest of some sort would help motivate us all. The idea is you will share your exercising goals for the next several months, and report back every week on how successfully you’ve reached them.

People who make it 6 months will get some sort of prize.

Rules N' Stuff
---------------------------------------------
Here’s what I’m thinking about as far as rules. I’m all about the spirit of the law vs the letter, but we need something. Comments, suggestions, additions?

1. Starts Monday, August 31. I can delay to September 7th if that will help.
**I will post a thread Saturday or Sunday to kick off the contest.
2. The contest will last for 6 months, or until there is only one participant remaining. Contest ends March 1, 2010.
3. Share your goals before the contest begins.
4. At the end of each week, report on the week's activities.
5. There will be a prize, but not worth cheating for. I’m aiming for ‘kinda neat’. Last man standing or all participants at the end of 6 months will get something.
5. There will be allowance for vacations, injuries, etc, where exercise is not possible. Prior notification for vacations and notification of injuries and sickness, with a speedy return to the program will be fine.
6. There will be a 1 week grace period for simply screwing up a week.
6. Each person will have 10 cheat days. You lose a cheat based on the number of days you come short of your weekly goals. For example, if your goal is 4 days of cardio each week, and you only exercise twice, you lose 2 cheat days. This is in addition to planned vacation, sickness, and injury.

FAQ
1. But Udog, you are an INFP. You aren’t going to lose interest in this 2 months down the road and let this fall apart, are you?
Geez, there's always one! If we do this, we are seeing it through.

2. Who is this for?
I'm intending this for people that have fairly recently started exercising, as they are the ones that need to get into the exercise habit. Advanced users are welcome too - perhaps we can create an “Advanced” section if there's interest. Give me your ideas if you are interested.

3. What kind of exercise goals do we need?
That's up to you. It just needs to be challenging and agreed upon that it's 'exercise'. Playing WoW and running the wild continents of IceSwordCrest doesn't count. :D We’ll agree to it before the contest begins.

4. What if I want to change the goals?
That should be fine, as well, as long as you aren’t changing them to the donut diet. Just be sure to let the contest users know.

5. What if I have other questions?
That’s the point of this thread. Bring it up and we’ll discuss it.

List of potential participants:
Antimony
Blackcat
cafe
Clonester
Colors
DiscoBiscuit
Eagle
Eck
Elaur
ergophobe
erm
Feops
Fidelia
Jen
Kyuuei
ladypinkington
Little Linguist
Night
PinkPiranha
Pitseleh
poppy
Rainbows
ScantilyClad
Scott N Denver
Tallulah
Trinity
Udog (I can't win it, though.)
Userhername

Last edited:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Sounds like a cool idea. I'll probably sit it out though as I'm shipping off for college at the end of next month and god knows what my exercise routine will become. Then again, maybe this is exactly what I need :D

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Count me in! I was just thinking about starting something up. Thanks for taking the initiative!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm totally down! A challenge that challenges myself?! You bet! And poppy don't be a wuss! I have college too, AND two jobs coming up, so I won't have any days off for quite some time ;) So you KNOW you wanna try and work off all those ramen noodles you'll be eating!

1. Starts Monday, August 31. I can delay to September 7th if that will help.
2. How long should this go? I say 6 months. Is 3 more reasonable?
3. Share your goals before the contest begins, and let us know how you do each week.
4. There will be a prize, but worth cheating for. I’m aiming for ‘kinda neat’.
5. There will be some sort of allowance for vacations, etc, where exercise is not possible. I think prior notification will be reasonable enough.
6. There will be a 1 week grace period for simply screwing up a week.

Sept 1st could be a good starting date! 6 months is a good set up as well, as people's lifestyles and changes throughout the fall and winter can adjust a lot with this grace period.

I think, overall, the person closest to (or the person that's exceeded the most) their goals overall while maintaining their updates and sticking to their regimes the closest will determine the winner? The categories being diet, cardio, strength training, and determined goals for weight?? Just suggestions.

We could have a dandy little weekly fill-out sheet that they can C&P so we can clearly see each category. ^_^ This is going to be fun!

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm totally down! A challenge that challenges myself?! You bet!

Sept 1st could be a good starting date! 6 months is a good set up as well, as people's lifestyles and changes throughout the fall and winter can adjust a lot with this grace period.

I think, overall, the person closest to (or the person that's exceeded the most) their goals overall while maintaining their updates and sticking to their regimes the closest will determine the winner? The categories being diet, cardio, strength training, and determined goals for weight?? Just suggestions.

We could have a dandy little weekly fill-out sheet that they can C&P so we can clearly see each category. ^_^ This is going to be fun!

Why not...

Name: Eagle
Weight Goal: 145-150
Current Weight: 145
Training Goals:
- Varied Workout
-6 Miles of Running a Week
- Unknown Amount of Swimming
- Unknown Amount of Biking
- 2 Sessions of PT
- Various Aerobics

:) I'm not very demanding. The only thing that will be hard is the freakin' schedule. Everything else I would do at some point anyways.

wolfy

awsm
OK, I have a goal in mind if you decide to do it. A triple bw deadlift (belt) and a double BW bench (loose bench shirt)

EDIT Actually, sorry I think I'll pull out. I'm going to do what I said I would but don't want to be in any competition. Forum competitions have a habit of fizzling out. Sorry.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I think it's more of a support group thinly disguised as a competition, if that helps. :D

wolfy

awsm
^ I think it's more of a support group thinly disguised as a competition, if that helps. :D

No, but thanks. I love to compete. I love the give and take, the playfulness and energy, the excitement and a little bit of competition. (Thanks BestFitType)

It annoys me when things fizzle out. I will keep an eye on this thread and support you all.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yes, I need to start! I broke my foot a few years ago and lost a TON of muscle and have been having trouble keeping my weight down ever since. I really need to build up my muscle.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I need to start! I broke my foot a few years ago and lost a TON of muscle and have been having trouble keeping my weight down ever since. I really need to build up my muscle.

I've had the same problem since my back OP, which is why I'm interested, in addition to reducing 'stress'. Anyway, I've noticed that I can build up muscle hella quickly, but my motivation is generally nil because I have no GOAL.

THIS will give me a GOAL. So I say once again, "Hellz yeah!"

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great! I think this is a good start.

Okay, guys, important question here:

Is August 31 or Sept 7 the better start date? I like Aug because I say, why wait? However 1 week notice may not be enough for some of you. If we do it September 7, I'll start pestering everyone for their goals next week.

Oh, and if Jeffster joins, we might as well pack it up now. We hardly stand a chance! :(

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm starting tomorrow, I think. I don't know if I'm pushing it since my kids aren't back at school though so we still have lots of running around.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd like to try it (barring physical indisposition). :) I'm hoping the new stuff my dr. gave me will control the pain so I can really go for it.

P

Phantonym

I'd like to try it as well :) But my idea of an exercise goal is to make yoga a habit at least three times a week for starters. Does that count?

I'm starting tomorrow, I think.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a head start too :D