• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Irregular Period after Starting Birth Control

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I started taking Yaz last sunday and I'm on the 11th day of my period.

Is this something to worry about? Anyone have experience with this?

wtf!

Usehername

On a mission
I went on birth control to make living out of a backpack for a year easier and have cramps be schedule-able... in my experience, I had very regular and predictable periods until I tried to go the last two months without having any period of all (i.e. not giving myself the week of fake pills) and eventually I bled without intending to.

It sounds like an abnormal experience, for sure, but I don't know that abnormal results mean a big deal. I'm unqualified to speak on the subject.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have specific experience with Yaz, but having been on birth control in the past, and having friends who have been, it's common knowledge that lots of crazy things could happen the first several months. Spotting is common, as are weirder periods that might not follow your 'normal', pre b-c, ones.

That said, it's highly individualized from one person to the next, and it's equally possible that Yaz is simply not working with your body, and a different brand/method would be better. You could always contact your gyno (if you haven't already), as she might want to change the birth control pill. Different ones can have very different effects on the same person. I don't know what your gyno would say, though....she might want to wait it out and see whether your body doesn't regulate itself over the next couple of months...but really, I don't know...give the office a call!! :)

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Gross!

Don't you have a girlfriend that you can talk to off the site?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I started taking Yaz last sunday and I'm on the 11th day of my period.

Is this something to worry about? Anyone have experience with this?

wtf!

11 days? give the doctor's office a call to be sure, I'd say, if it's still there tomorrow.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
True Life: BC made my friends fat

well, besides that, the symptoms suck... although one of my friends takes it constantly and never gets a period... that one is kind of funny.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
it's not really the shedding of the uterine lining type of period... it's just a weird one.

i just have heard and read that you could have a dose too low, so maybe that is it.

i will talk to my gyno, but office is closed today so i had to hit my lovely outer circle up.

Usehername

On a mission
i will talk to my gyno, but office is closed today so i had to hit my lovely outer circle up.

Meh, it's not as bad as the time I made a thread about potentially losing a tampon inside of me. You don't need excuses to ask questions. :)

+1 with Geoff about seeing a doctor, though.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That thread was funny! I didn't think other people ever wondered about that kind of stuff.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I haven't been on birth control for some time, lol, so take this for what it's worth. I tried everything they had on the market at the time (ok, a bit of a stretch there, but it felt like it). I bled all the time. I would start the pill and it wouldn't end for weeks so they'd try me another one and that one was just as bad. I thought the third time would be the charm because I didn't start bleeding right away, started the period normally and again, it wouldn't quit. I got tired of the hassle and finally gave up altogether.

Like what's been said already; I think a certain amount of irregularity is normal but you definitely need to talk to the doc. I hope you have better luck than I did, which I'm sure you will.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
My gyno said it is normal for when you just start it and that it is indeed working.

Day 12!

When will it end?!!@#$ :steam:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
My gyno said it is normal for when you just start it and that it is indeed working.

Day 12!

When will it end?!!@#$ :steam:

At least you don't have to worry about getting pregnant!

/irony

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
it finally stopped but only after the first month of being on yaz. now i don't feel sick like i did, and i feel great and am back to normal. i guess it was just something about the first month. my doc was right.

Kerrshay

Irregular periods can start after your use of birth control. It's a way of your body getting use to it as it properly regulates your cycle overtime.