• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Haired Girls' Styling Products

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Returning to this thread:

Have you ever tried SheaMoisture? It works really well and doesn't have a lot of drying or harmful stuff in it.

After my failed experiment with DevaCurl, I went back to my SheaMoisture shampoo + leave-in conditioner routine, and have been doing that for the past few months. My official review:

Shampoo:
- Decent enough (though not great) for my scalp
- Barely lathers at all, so I have to use a lot of it
- It's kind of expensive
- Makes my hair SO SOFT and SO HEALTHY. <3
- Smells really good! (=coconutty)

Conditioner:
- Easy to apply; makes for nice, well-defined curls
- Does almost nothing for frizz
- My hair often ends up looking and feeling a bit greasy afterwards (but only enough that I would notice)
- Also smells really good, and also kind of expensive

About to use up both bottles of this, so now I'm scouring this thread for recommendations re: something new to try --

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Moved on to a new product set: Renpure Argan Oil Shampoo + Conditioner. Tried it for the first time last night. Used the shampoo normally and didn't rinse all the conditioner out, then slept on it (high, loose ponytail -- there's a silly name for that in the curly-haired community and I can't remember what it is). Results below.

Pros:
- So inexpensive! ($6.50 per 16 oz bottle at Walgreens)
- Shampoo lathered really nicely, and felt amazing on my scalp
- Conditioner felt silky, which was nice
- Hair looks great today -- lots of curl and volume

Cons:
- Hair didn't end up as soft as it is after I use SheaMoisture products
- Bottles weren't 100% full(???)
- Had to use a lot of conditioner
- THEY SMELL LIKE BABY POWDER

I have this lavender spray that I bought online because I'd heard good things about it -- it ended up being pretty much useless, but I think I may start using it just to get the goddamn baby powder smell out of my hair. It's only been four hours since I woke up, and I'm already sick of it.

gromit

likes this
I forget if I posted or not but here's what I do:

Wash scalp and hair every other day with this conditioner. No shampoo + washing every other day bc the ends tend to dry out otherwise. This allows me to go longer between haircuts.
1338-353198-nturls_nturls_vibrntly_smooth_conditioner_300x400.png

Apply Pantene mousse to the roots and most of the length.
300.JPG

Apply heavy conditioning creme to the ends. It smells sooooo good, kind of coconut-y?
HCa8_4_pack-shot.jpg

Blow dry with diffuser if I'm going out in the cold/going to wear my bicycle helmet, otherwise air dry. I use the same products if I'm going to straighten it too, which is pretty rare.

Cocoa powder to hair near temples on the off days if it is looking a little greasy, and spritz up the ends with water to tighten up droopy/frizzy curls.

When I had more money, I was using Bumble and Bumble products, but they are so damn expensive, and this routine I've got now seems to work pretty nearly as well for like 1/4 the price.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So I'm still experimenting with shampoos, and something to soothe my scalp.. Otherwise, I like the brand I'm using and it is CHEAP. $14 for the super moisturizing cream that, by my estimate, will last me a year. $10 for a bottle of conditioner that'll end up lasting at least 6 months. An oil that costs $10 that will last easily 6 months+. The spray gets rid of henna smell and keeps your scalp and hair fresh between washings.

Similar brands I've used have not lasted nearly as long for hair as long as mine. But considering I have a bunch of shampoo for free to use up first, I'd say I'm pretty happy with the Soultanicals set up. Smells great, works great, no silicone but still creates slip in my hair, actually hydrates my beast of a mane, tames the frizz. If I use too much it weighs it down, but I'm not so concerned about that.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Temporarily switched to cheaper shampoo, bad move, my hair very rough and knotty. On the plus side, it's not becoming dirty as quickly.

I forgot I had Orofluido, it cost $30. It smells very rich, like a perfume for your hair, but I didn't notice a change in my ends. I will continue to purchase though because of the smell.

This is the best dry shampoo, it works wonders on my hair:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
JSC_8_5oz.jpg

Just started using this stuff and I really like it! It's $14 for a huge tube and I can buy it at Target. Sulfate, silicone, phthalate, and paraben free.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Moved on to a new product set: Renpure Argan Oil Shampoo + Conditioner. Tried it for the first time last night. Used the shampoo normally and didn't rinse all the conditioner out, then slept on it (high, loose ponytail -- there's a silly name for that in the curly-haired community and I can't remember what it is). Results below.

Pros:
- So inexpensive! ($6.50 per 16 oz bottle at Walgreens)
- Shampoo lathered really nicely, and felt amazing on my scalp
- Conditioner felt silky, which was nice
- Hair looks great today -- lots of curl and volume

Cons:
- Hair didn't end up as soft as it is after I use SheaMoisture products
- Bottles weren't 100% full(???)
- Had to use a lot of conditioner
- THEY SMELL LIKE BABY POWDER

I have this lavender spray that I bought online because I'd heard good things about it -- it ended up being pretty much useless, but I think I may start using it just to get the goddamn baby powder smell out of my hair. It's only been four hours since I woke up, and I'm already sick of it.
Update on this -- I solved the problem by using the Devacurl Light Defining Gel afterwards. Totally neutralizes the smell.

Also, to maximize hold, I started putting the gel in after I towel-dry my hair with a microfiber cloth. That made a HUGE difference. I'd actually endorse that gel, now.

So, new routine:
- Renpure shampoo and conditioner
- Wrap hair in towel, finish up in shower
- Apply Devacurl gel, twist-curl all my hair into 8-10 different twists
- Let air dry, or dry with diffuser

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have any styling tips. My hair is either up in a bun or down and wild. I do detangle and braid before I go to bed, which makes maintenance far easier.

Anyone got good product suggestions for curly flyaways? Those are the worst. I look like I have an unkempt halo around my head by the end of the day.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone got good product suggestions for curly flyaways? Those are the worst. I look like I have an unkempt halo around my head by the end of the day.
Not really. My hair is always a lot frizzier at the end of the day, than at the beginning.

Maybe use more gel?

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not really. My hair is always a lot frizzier at the end of the day, than at the beginning.

Maybe use more gel?

Yeah ... :(

I should also say that my hair is deceptively voluminous. I look like I have a lot of it, but when it's wet or weighed down with product, you realize how little there actually is. I mean, I'm far from bald ... but it does look kinda sad slicked down.

I like my hair though. And I think overly flat ironed/relaxed hair looks weird and tacky on me and would never do that to it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah ... :(

I should also say that my hair is deceptively voluminous. I look like I have a lot of it, but when it's wet or weighed down with product, you realize how little there actually is. I mean, I'm far from bald ... but it does look kinda sad slicked down.

I like my hair though. And I think overly flat ironed/relaxed hair looks weird and would never do that to it.
It doesn't have to look slicked down if you use gel. You really just need to find the right kind of gel! The DevaCurl Light Defining Gel works great for me -- it ends up not being crunchy at all, and it doesn't add any weight or slickness to my hair.

Also good for you for not flat-ironing it :solidarity: I ALWAYS wear mine curly.

Chthonic

I have very loose s waves to my hair and has been a total nightmare since birth, with frizz. Although I have an oily scalp I can't seem to get rid of straw-like ends. But just these past few days I've found my HG product. Camellia Oil. I've never had any luck using oil in my hair before as it always just made it look greasy. But this oil is different, looks like a shine serum, doesn't weigh down my hair or give it that greasy stringy look. I just brush my hair, oil the ends and then dampen it and let it air dry so it clumps in neat waves. Works a treat for me. I'm on day three without washing and daily application of oil and it still looks great. No frizz.

I'm changing my routine over now to twice weekly wash and oil applications inbetween. Wish I'd discovered this years ago. :huh:

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I was speaking to a hairdresser the other day; she said that curly hair is always considered damaged hair, and you should always use damage repair products on it.
She recommended Aveda damage repair hair line.
Has anyone tries it ? She mentioned something about proteins and how the hair absorbs it, where as oils just sit on the hair, not matter how pure.
can anyone with expertise elaborate. I know the basic is, bit I'm on my phone and it's not optimal for research .

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was speaking to a hairdresser the other day; she said that curly hair is always considered damaged hair, and you should always use damage repair products on it.
She recommended Aveda damage repair hair line.
Has anyone tries it ? She mentioned something about proteins and how the hair absorbs it, where as oils just sit on the hair, not matter how pure.
can anyone with expertise elaborate. I know the basic is, bit I'm on my phone and it's not optimal for research .
:wtf: !!!

I don't understand how she would think that oils are not good for curly hair, when oils are what our bodies produce to keep our hair healthy!

Anyway, here's a decent article I just found on it: Best Products For Curls - How To Use Hair Oil

Curly hair is less hydrated than straight hair, and it's this lack of hydration that causes frizz, making hair look dull (read: no shine). Not enough hydration also triggers brittle hair, which leads to more split ends. All of this is caused by your curl pattern, not a natural inclination that you have for drier hair. The oils produced on your scalp — a.k.a. sebum — are what hydrate hair, adding shine, decreasing frizz, and giving it strength.

For those with straight hair, those oils slip down the shaft rather easily — brushes help, too, pulling oils from the scalp down and distributing them throughout the hair. Since brushes are taboo in the curly hair community and it is more difficult for oils to slide down a spiral or coil, curly hair textures are drier than straight versions.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
:wtf: !!!

I don't understand how she would think that oils are not good for curly hair, when oils are what our bodies produce to keep our hair healthy!

Anyway, here's a decent article I just found on it: Best Products For Curls - How To Use Hair Oil

Her point was that we are overwhelming our hair since it naturally produces oil, but is lacking in protein when it is damaged. Her argument was that if you should use something on your hair, it should be loaded with protein, as oil will not be absorbed well, and is a "temporary" fix, rather than truly nourishing.
She also said that they will not do anything for your hair unless they are 100% pure.

She warned against using products with silicon, as it never washes out properly, and ends up "Building up".

Am I speaking to a crazy person? Or a person with valid points?
HALP

ps: I hate people with straight hair.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Her point was that we are overwhelming our hair since it naturally produces oil, but is lacking in protein when it is damaged. Her argument was that if you should use something on your hair, it should be loaded with protein, as oil will not be absorbed well, and is a "temporary" fix, rather than truly nourishing.
She also said that they will not do anything for your hair unless they are 100% pure.

She warned against using products with silicon, as it never washes out properly, and ends up "Building up".

HALP

I've never heard the protein argument before, might make sense though... My hair definitely more fragile than straight.

The silicone thing is TRUE. Especially, if you are using a sulfate free shampoo. The sulfate free shampoo won't get all the silicone out and build-up can happen.

Oh, and don't hate people with straight hair! They should hate us. Their hair is boring. ;)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:huh: I hadn't heard that, about protein, before. Just did some Googling, and the only times it's suggested are for damaged natural hair -- not natural hair in general, and not loosely curly hair in general.

That's what I'd heard -- as well as that it strips your hair. Once I switched to silicone free / sulfate free / paraben free, my hair was much healthier overall. Softer and shinier and MUCH less prone towards split ends. I can't remember the last time I had split ends.
HALP
:shrug: I don't know the science behind it, but my ESTJ-ness makes me think that since she's in the minority on this, she's probably either wrong or on the forefront of something new/innovative. Worth looking into.

Did she have straight hair btw? Flatironed hair? I'd understand the tendency to think "curly = damaged" if all curly haired women regularly straightened their hair.

:laugh: :solidarity: