• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I always feel so lethargic...

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Even though I usually get plenty of sleep and eat decently, I am always feeling slow and sluggish. It takes me 4 or 5 hours before I feel awake in the morning. This feeling undercuts my motivation to get things done that I need to get done. I want to get out more and even get some exercise but I'm always so tired? Anyone else suffer from lethargy? What are some probable causes and are there any cures? I'm just too damn young to feel this way!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you spend a lot of time on the computer? I counselled someone a while ago with a similar problem to switch off his computer and go outside and play, and after much deliberation and trying of many other things, he finally did it. A month later he e-mailed me to say like wow, that was totally it!

I have sorta the opposite problem to you though... no matter how shattered and exhausted my body is, my brain drives it with big whips and stuff, relentless... relentless... can't sleep, can't sit still, must pursue ideas... I'm like the Pink Panther in that episode where the fly gets into his room and won't let him sleep. The fly in my room is my infernal, inexhaustible mental energy.

But anyway, back to you - J's generally tend (it's my observation) to like to be 'people of action', people of their word. Specially FJ's - they need to know (and sometimes have it known) that they live by their beliefs, their values, their principles. The IFJ's I know can be prone to sometimes taking too much 'alone time', namely with that thief of all time, the Internet, and thereby making of themselves a Person Who Does Fuck All. It makes them lose their self-respect a bit, which affects their motivation a lot. Switching it off and going out and doing some stuff you believe in, rather than spending time telling strangers that you believe in it, often works wonders.

Dunno if that applies to you, just a wild stab in the dark, since you haven't given me much to go on.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
What are some probable causes and are there any cures?

In my view, these are the things you should attempt to look into;

1) Diet. Have you changed your diet? Are you sure it is balanced? Have you changed and does your diet need to change with you (this is true up to about 25 for sure, and then at 25 as your metabolism changes - you say you are young, but how young?)

2) Hormones. It depends on your age here, but there are periods where things just become difficult... teen years for sure, but it is possible that the opposite is true if you are just leaving your teens.

3) Stress/depression. Anything that would trigger this? If this is very recent, it could be as simple as seasonal depression (winter is hitting now). If you have never felt this before... well, that doesn't mean anything for sure, but if you have noticed a change in mood with any sort of sun cycle (easier to see if you use to live somewhere where the weather is different, etc), then it could be something along those lines.

4) Lifestyle change - job, school etc changed in the last 6 months? Good chance that it is related to that. This is normally the case if you are either working long hours, shift work or jobs without much physical activity.

You don't mention if you are male or female, but females have more triggers biologically that could influence this. If none of these apply, then it is likely a motivational or cycle issue. The best way to deal with that is to increase your excersize and/or decrease your food intake (if you are already eating sufficiently, attempt to reduce calories by introducing more nutrient rich foods). It will be difficult at first but would likely break the current cycle. If sleep is an issue (irregular sleep), improve sleep hygiene at the same time - go to sleep at the same time, don't use your sleeping area for anything else, don't excersize or drink caffeine (and similar) close to bed (although cutting caffeine our entirely except first thing in the morning would be the best advice).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Even though I usually get plenty of sleep and eat decently, I am always feeling slow and sluggish. It takes me 4 or 5 hours before I feel awake in the morning. This feeling undercuts my motivation to get things done that I need to get done. I want to get out more and even get some exercise but I'm always so tired? Anyone else suffer from lethargy? What are some probable causes and are there any cures? I'm just too damn young to feel this way!

Oh, it happens to everyone. Just get yourself some strong coffee, a healthy breakfast, maybe some vitamin tablets, and you'll be fine. Also, just make a schedule, and say to yourself, "I'm going to do X at Y time, and that's final." Eventually, you'll get in a routine, and you'll do things at the right time without even thinking about it. You just have to push yourself through, sometimes even if you're kind of ill. That's the way you get through life.

I'm just assuming it isn't too severe, since it goes away in a few hours? If you feel it is, you should talk to a doctor. Dangerous forms of anemia do exist.

Usehername

On a mission
if you're still a teen, teens are just wired to be awake at different times of the day (and why there's always talk of switching high school to start later in the day and continue later into the night).
I think 2 am is the "biological bedtime" for a teen whereas adults are 10:30ish. But don't ask me where that stat came from. it's just floating in my head.

And that's also why old people are always awake by 6am even when they have nothing to do. Their bodies are just supposed to be awake at that time.

lastrailway

Drink a lot of coffee always helps (me, at least).
Seriously thought, there can be many reasons for feeling lethargic, including a sleeping disorder. You might want to check for a case of EDS, maybe hypersomnia. That is, if you find yourself continuously on that situation.
It is very easy to overlook sleeping disorders. I have had DSPS a lot of time before I actually got diagnosed with it. I was just attributing my lack of sleep to various irrelevant factors.
You might want to consult a doctor, if you believe you might have a sleeping disorder, they ll probably tell you you need to be submitted to a polysomnogram (sleep study), and you will have to spend a night in the hospital for the various parts of the study.
In all cases, don't overlook it, it might affect your normal rythmes

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
As I expected from this group, that all sounds like good advice. I think I'll try to decrease my food intake and set up a regular sleep time like ptg suggested. I'll also try to get out more and do something I like to do like sub suggested and set up a regular routine like Athenian suggested. If all that doesn't work then I'll go see a doctor like last said. Thank you all.

Also, I'm a guy and I'm in my early 20's. :D I probably should have mentioned that, but I'll look into sleep cycles for guys my age.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
My best hour is between 2A and 3A. I don't know why this is...

Sadly, the world liked to run 8-5.

shen

MBTI Type
ENFP
energy

yes all good advice their:D

but i would also like to add, because your only young, you should be bouncing with energy in your prime. sounds like you have stagnant/blocked energy in
your channels in your body. you would also benefit from recieveing therapy from a qualified energy healer. good luck

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Even though I usually get plenty of sleep and eat decently, I am always feeling slow and sluggish. It takes me 4 or 5 hours before I feel awake in the morning. This feeling undercuts my motivation to get things done that I need to get done. I want to get out more and even get some exercise but I'm always so tired?

Am I really the first one to mention that the likely cause of your lethargy is, ironically, your lack of exercise? Using energy gives you energy.

The exception is getting started. If you've been inactive for years, your first workouts will kill you. But it gets much, much better. Trust me. :yes:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Am I really the first one to mention that the likely cause of your lethargy is, ironically, your lack of exercise? Using energy gives you energy.

The exception is getting started. If you've been inactive for years, your first workouts will kill you. But it gets much, much better. Trust me. :yes:

True stuff. I go to the gym at 6:30 every morning and I'm much more awake for the rest of the day than when I used to wake up at like 10:00.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
True stuff. I go to the gym at 6:30 every morning and I'm much more awake for the rest of the day than when I used to wake up at like 10:00.

My current schedule inhibits me from getting the kind of morning exercise that I would like, but I will plan for it next semester.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
Have you had a blood test, or better yet, a mineral test from a hair sample? Consider allergies to gluten, dairy, soya and egg. They can cause symptoms like that, especially gluten. Is your food certified organic, not old and withered, not processed, and not over-cooked? Do any of the supposedly healthy foods contain hydrogenated oils, aspartame or monosodium glutamate, under any of their many aliases? Have you been tested for thyroid function? Do you drink tea or does your drinking water contain artificial or naturally high flouride levels? Is there any other possibly toxic presence in your life that you're aware of? If none of these apply, I'm stumped. :huh:

You don't have to live like that though. I'd do more research and see as many professionals as necessary.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Have you had a blood test

Yes

or better yet, a mineral test from a hair sample?

No

Consider allergies to gluten, dairy, soya and egg. They can cause symptoms like that, especially gluten.

How do you determine allergies without an allergy test?

Is your food certified organic, not old and withered, not processed, and not over-cooked? Do any of the supposedly healthy foods contain hydrogenated oils, aspartame or monosodium glutamate, under any of their many aliases?

Ok, maybe not ultra healthy food. By I think I eat a fairly balanced diet even if it does contain a lot of preservatives and isn't high grade.

Have you been tested for thyroid function?

Yes

Do you drink tea

I used to.

does your drinking water contain artificial or naturally high flouride levels?

I'm not sure. I don't think so. How would I know?

Is there any other possibly toxic presence in your life that you're aware of?

Nothing that I can think of.

You don't have to live like that though. I'd do more research and see as many professionals as necessary.

I'm poor. :blush:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
blood tests actually can be the first diagnostic step for problems with gluten! I used to permanently feel like my ass was kicked before I had to give up gluten containing food- 0 energy- they can run a blood test for that pretty cheaply, and if you're a student it is sometimes free at the student health center :)

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
What I described isn't ultra-healthy, it's just what we're designed to eat. Some people seem to react more severely to the grossly inadequate standard Western diet than others. It's in the genes. There's a study done somewhere showing that even with five portions of fruit and vegetables every day, volunteers are still below the recommended daily intake of vitamin C (important for brain function) if those foods aren't organic. It's more to do with the lack of crop rotation and soil care than the pesticides themselves (although many of those are thought to cause cancer).

I think blood tests only detect allergies, not other kinds of reactions to gluten. Sometimes a dietician or nurse tests for allergies by putting a sample on the skin and pricking it, to see if there's a response. The way that seems to be the most fool-proof is just eliminating the suspected items for several weeks. You should only do this if you're very clued up about nutrition and know what you're doing or have a professional guiding you, because what you eliminate might currently be your main source of certain things or what you replace them with may do even more harm.

I recommend you (actually, everyone) read this page about it. Gotta be worth consideration. :)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be like that, and sometimes still do but nowadays it's usually due to a genuine lack of sleep than anything.

The cure for my more chronic fatigue was better diet and the addition of some supplements-- specifically, a multivitamin and fish oil (one that's higher in DHA than EPA). I tried Coenzyme Q-10 (100mg) for a while and it seemed to help with overall energy, although eventually it got to the point where taking it for a week in a row caused me to sleep lightly and clench my teeth (like it was amplifying stress or something) so I stopped it.

Nowadays I don't feel that chronic fatigue anymore, but I do get acute fatigue if I don't sleep the appropriate amount. Gaining weight also increases the incident of fatigue and I find I have to nap more often. (I am trying to lose it now)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
actually blood tests are used in the diagnosis of celiac disease as well- and you're never supposed to eliminate a food from your diet until it is confirmed that that food is the problem- otherwise you will mess up the diagnostic process on what's wrong with you! sorry for the mini-lecture :)

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
The cure for my more chronic fatigue was better diet and the addition of some supplements-- specifically, a multivitamin and fish oil (one that's higher in DHA than EPA).
Those are great. Well, some versions are. A lot of them, most of them don't contain the recommended amount or the right proportion of fatty acids. And you want a purified one or one from cultivated algae, with no mercury or other contaminants.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
actually blood tests are used in the diagnosis of celiac disease as well- and you're never supposed to eliminate a food from your diet until it is confirmed that that food is the problem- otherwise you will mess up the diagnostic process on what's wrong with you! sorry for the mini-lecture :)
Yes, but I wouldn't assume that if a blood test has been done, you'd have been told if you have it or not. Most people with even classic coeliac disease seem to go years looking for a diagnosis, so it's wise to ask to be tested specifically for gluten intolerance. Some medical doctors recommend the diet test to see if symptoms go away. A blood test might be preferred first though, depending on whether you find the needle more or less daunting than the diet change. ;)