• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tanning beds increase risk of cancer

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
ksl.com - Tanning beds and cancer link proven, scientists say

I always thought it was obvious that projecting UV rays directly onto your body would increase your cancer risk. Why is it coming to people's attention now? Did people think this would actually be safe. I mean, come on, it's common sense. They keep talking about it on the news by where I am, dunno about you guys. :/

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember seeing something on the news about this several (maybe even as many as ten) years ago. My guess is that it was only speculation at that point, and now they're finally finishing studies.

You're right, though; it should be obvious.

- Excessive exposure to UV radiation can damage skin and cause skin cancer.
- Tanning beds provide excessive exposure to UV radiation.
- Therefore, tanning beds can damage skin and cause skin cancer.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
tanning beds. keep out.

Tanning salon enthusiasts, listen up!

The Associated Press is reporting that cancer experts have reassessed the danger of tanning beds and the results are not good. They are likening the cancer risk from tanning beds to arsenic and mustard gas.

Yikes!!

Fake baking now joins tobacco, hepatitis B, and chimney sweeping on the list of known causes of cancer.

A new analysis of about 20 studies makes clear that the risk of skin cancer jumps a whopping 75% when people start using tanning beds before age 30.

And, while scientists had previously thought that only one type of ultraviolet radiation was lethal, not so, as it turns out: in studies, all types of ultraviolet radiation caused scary mutations in mice, confirming that all ultraviolet radiation are carcinogens. UV radiation is used in tanning beds and is now known to cause skin and eye cancer.

Eye cancer?! Super scary.

What's more, as use of tanning beds has increased over the years in people under 30, and a recent study in Britain shows that melanoma (the deadliest skin cancer of all), which historically is most prevalent in people over 75, is now the leading cancer diagnosed in women in their 20s.

Holy shitballs! This is seriously scary.

Stay out of the tanning beds, bbs! Cancer is not something to mess with.

And just as a friendly reminder from the American Cancer Association - remember that all types of ultraviolet exposure can lead to cancer, so wear sunscreen when you hit the beaches, too!
spray tan anyone? :cheese:

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ksl.com - Tanning beds and cancer link proven, scientists say

I always thought it was obvious that projecting UV rays directly onto your body would increase your cancer risk. Why is it coming to people's attention now? Did people think this would actually be safe. I mean, come on, it's common sense. They keep talking about it on the news by where I am, dunno about you guys. :/

because big clinical trials are expensive and take many years? stating that it is "obvious" will not suffice as a clinical guideline from the WHO ;)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have used tanning beds here and there, only the last few years.

In the spring I go get a book of five sessions and "prime" my lilly-white epidermis before the Florida sun wakes up in full and starts throwing supercharged UV death rays down at me.

That article might make me reconisder this strategy. Maybe I'll just layout after breakfast for a week or two instead.

Bottom line is though, I got over trying to protect myself from every possible harmful thing that exists when I was about 20. I was a bit neurotic then. I've chilled out quite a bit, and taken in life, and I really have enjoyed it.

I might have to get bits and pieces of that life cut off in another 20 years, or maybe I'll get hit by a bus or eaten by a polar bear. We shall see!

:happy:

Maybe I'm a prototypical ESTP risk taker? :whistling:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i smoke while in the tanning bed.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
well i have one more session so i hope that doesn't take me out. i quit smoking a few years ago otherwise i'd have a ciggy in one hand and a martini in the other for one last :static:.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well i have one more session so i hope that doesn't take me out. i quit smoking a few years ago otherwise i'd have a ciggy in one hand and a martini in the other for one last :static:.

To hell with it. I'm going to the tanning bed down the street from my house and having 4 shots of Herradura and smoking a cigar while baking my epidermis. Ahhhh...what a lovely afternoon it shall be.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
the sucky thing about spray tanning (other than the cost) is that i can't work out for the rest of the day or it might fuck it up. :/

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Does it surprise you when the sprayers suddenly turn on in there? :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I use tanning beds during the winter time, and started doing this when I was 19, I probably do six to eight sessions a year, I find it immensely relaxing and *worth* it.

Yeah the UV rays are carcinogenic, oh well, I'm gonna die anyway.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't use tanning beds. Nature did not intend for my pale skin to see the sun all year round, so screw it. :cool:

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I've always been aware of the speculated risk, but a figure of 75% is alarming.

I wonder how quickly that risk receeds. I know that cigarettes have a rather well-defined timeline.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Unfortunately melanoma has a high rate of recovery/low rate of malignancy. ;)

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've never been in one in my life but I'm a bit olivey skinned too, so tanning has never been a problem when I've cared about it, which I really don't anymore.

yay :cheese:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
If you stay out of the sun and tanning beds, you won't have a lot of the wrinkles usually associated with aging. That's a good enough reason for me. The girls I grew up with who started laying out + using tanning beds in high school now look a good ten years older than me.