• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tanning beds increase risk of cancer

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
^^ I've noticed the same with a lot of women quite a bit younger than me too. Yikes!

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Always hated people obsessed by tanning. Thanks to evolution getting rid of them. :)

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
To hell with it. I'm going to the tanning bed down the street from my house and having 4 shots of Herradura and smoking a cigar while baking my epidermis. Ahhhh...what a lovely afternoon it shall be.

While I can appreciate the spirit, this ain't exactly what comes to mind when I hear the catchphrase "Live fast, die young."

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Excessive tanning you say?

GuidoOompa.jpg

burnt-oompa-loompa-boy.jpg

n3171032431252182809417.jpg

When I lived in southern California, there were quite a few leather-skinned, bleached-haired ethnic northern Europeans around.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Dude! That's SCARY!!!!

:shock:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well I think they can be a good option either to go 3-4 times in the winter to get some Vitamin D, or to prepare for a vacation so that you don't get burnt. I live in Italy, so I don't have a big problem since it's warm from the end of february to the end of november; however I've lived in Denmark, and if I were to live in Scandinavia I would absolutely need to use them, my skin needs the sun.

Always hated people obsessed by tanning.

It's not a matter of obsession, some people with darker-olive skin need more sun than what they can get, say, in Finland, in order to feel good and be in good health. I agree that tanning beds are probably not the best option, however for some people there's not much else available in wintertime, esp. where winter is long.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Vitamin D is available as a dietary supplement.

But oral absorption is not particularly good, you need large quantities to have a similar effect to 15 minutes of 4-level UV rays. Not to mention that it has been proven (even on scientific studies, if that was needed) that UV light has beneficial effects on mood, larger than those obtainable by substitutes such as the lamps against S.A.D (whose name I don't remember, sorry).

AceMile

It is true that it can cause skin cancer if over exposure on it is done. You don't have to worry as long as you know the time to be spent on using it. For the first timer, a maximum of five minutes will do for a couple of sessions and just add two minutes higher every next season until you reach the maximum of 12 minutes.

Last edited:

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Unfortunately, it is true it can cause skin cancer if you over expose on it. You don't have to worry as long as you know the time to be spend on using it. I started tanning using bed with recommended time, and I have no problem of it.

Are you certain about that? I haven't seen any studies that went into detail about exposure levels.

I'd also be curious to see a comparison between tanning beds and regular sun tanning.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have used tanning beds here and there, only the last few years.

In the spring I go get a book of five sessions and "prime" my lilly-white epidermis before the Florida sun wakes up in full and starts throwing supercharged UV death rays down at me.

That article might make me reconisder this strategy. Maybe I'll just layout after breakfast for a week or two instead.

Bottom line is though, I got over trying to protect myself from every possible harmful thing that exists when I was about 20. I was a bit neurotic then. I've chilled out quite a bit, and taken in life, and I really have enjoyed it.

I might have to get bits and pieces of that life cut off in another 20 years, or maybe I'll get hit by a bus or eaten by a polar bear. We shall see!

:happy:

Maybe I'm a prototypical ESTP risk taker? :whistling:

The sun is the best source of vitamin D known to man. I'd say go for it!

Nrrrd GrrrL aMe

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't really understand the hype of looking like a burnt piece of toast. Okay well that's kinda harsh, I admit some people look great with a tan. BUT I have always loved the light color of my skin. I think of it like Marilyn Monroe, she was a beautiful woman imo, never needed any UV rays or fake bake creams/sprays to get noticed. Why can't people, women especially, appreciate their natural beauty?

But hey i suppose if it makes you feel better about yourself... go for it. I rather you look pastic, than constantly ask me how your hair looks :smile: