• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Soooo. I'm losing weight.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
So far, 20 lbs, actually. I've got...a way to go. Before anyone mistakes me for a person of gargantuan proportions, let me make it known that I'm a tall girl with a sort of welsh/germanic frame. So, 20lbs for me is like, 8 lbs for a shortie. ;) I carry it nicely, honestly, but now, I'd like it OFF thanks very much. :blush: I want my Michele Obama guns back.

I gain weight like a crazy when I'm gestating. Yucko. My emotions and body handle food and exercise totally differently while pregnant. It usually takes me 9 mos to get to my ideal weight and having some nice muscle tone (I've done it twice now, this being drastic and easily maintainable loss #3).

So, I'm currently doing some (small) weights, staying active during the day, and doing Jillian whats-her-face's 30 Day Shred. I hate her. And it works, as far as I can tell.

I eat about 75% raw, and the rest is semi-vegetarian for taste preference reasons, really. I eat eggs and sometimes meat to be polite. (Least I get hung out to dry for being a hypocrite, I'll go ahead and say I've not reached veg-nazi ideals yet).

Now, my question...will lifting weights help me lose weight faster? How can I do that without bulking up a lot? I have no ambitions of being Hulk. I'll leave that to you guys. ;)

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
...and doing Jillian whats-her-face's 30 Day Shred. I hate her. And it works, as far as I can tell.

Hah! I love the way you put things.

Working out with weights will help you lose fat faster because muscles burn calories, even when they are at rest. It will cause you to gain a slight amount of weight over a period of time, because muscle is heavier than fat. However, muscles take up less room than fat, and when you develop your muscles, those areas of muscle get more toned and compact. That's why it works for some people to pay attention to their clothing size instead of the scale, because gaining muscle will bring you down in clothing size, even though the scale might not move much for a while.

You won't bulk up unless you're using very heavy weights, and even then, I think you'd have to have steroids or testosterone or be working out all day long. It just won't happen. It's not normal for a female to bulk up, so you don't have to worry about avoiding it. Muscle tone will make you look lean, not big.

Stick with the cardio, too, though, because even though weights are good, some serious cardio can help you torch calories.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Thanks! :heart: Yeah, I'm much more interested in how things fit than the number. :blush:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
You're doing Jillian 30 Day Shred too? We'll hate her together! Somehow it helps to have someone else suffering as well. It really does work. I lost about 10 pounds earlier this year that way but then got busy and lazy. Now I'm back on it.

Woman have a hard time bulking up like men so you are safe, especially if you stick within the 3-15 pound weights like you can get at Walmart.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh yeah - have you tried her two newest DVDs? One is more cardio and the other is more strength and they have five circuits instead of three. It's nice for changing things up and you can choose how many or few circuits you have time for that day. You can preprogram it and skip around.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Oooo, thanks!! That would be helpful, I'll check those out. My most common reason for dropping a program is sheer boredom, so it'll be good to change things up.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
building muscle helps burn fat and calories.

and i prefer doing bob what ever his last name is videos, because he is nicer than jillian.

he has a biggest loser boot camp video. fun stuff. :)

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Aww, Bob. :heart: He's so nice. Maybe I'll throw him in there, too, for giggles.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, I'm currently doing some (small) weights, staying active during the day, and doing Jillian whats-her-face's 30 Day Shred. I hate her. And it works, as far as I can tell.

Hey!! I've started the same work out DVD exactly!! :D I've learned to hate her as well! :hug: But I admit it's a good DVD thus far.

LucrativeSid

Jewelchild pretty much covered everything I would have said. Women usually just don't have enough testosterone to bulk up.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Geez, if you all hate this Jillian woman so much, maybe I should join the party and check out the DVD. She must be doing something right.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ :D I just recently found out she was the weight trainer on the Biggest Loser show on TV. Her work out DVD I would recommend because of the way it's set up.

So far I've only done level 1, but its 3 minutes strength training, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs, rinse, repeat twice. You only need a mat if you don't have carpet and dumbbells (I use soup cans because I'm poor :) I'll graduate to laundry detergent bottles soon!) but the best part of it all is that the really hard moves are juuuust long enough to where you can stick them out. She's got a good motivational way of speaking too imo.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
LOL, kyuuei, today I used a giant can of crushed tomatoes and a bottle of mango chutney.:thumbup:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Have you tried the second workout? I hate it, although I'm sure it's quite good for me. Lots of stuff in plank/pushup kind of positions combined with cardio - plankjacks and mountain climbers. The third is hard, but I enjoy it. Lots of plyometrics (jumping).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Today's my last day for Level one, and I only just now bought dumbbells. :doh: Level 2 is guaranteed to kill me :laugh: Keep with it Monkeygrass! :D Level one does get way easier by day 5.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
And I think the dumbbells are worth it. They're only like ten bucks or something at walmart.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And I think the dumbbells are worth it. They're only like ten bucks or something at walmart.

Go to Goodwill!!!!!! or another thrift store. People abandon this stuff all the time and donate their equipment. Thats how I got my exercise ball and weights last year.