• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Women - how many times a week should you wash your hair?

Qre:us

Wash, as in, the whole shebang, shampoo, conditioner. I can't do it daily as I've seen increase in hair falling out (and heard rumours that it's not that good for your hair?).

Factoring in, say, extra sweating (e.g., working out)....how many times a week is optimal for hair maintenance?

P

Phantonym

I've always heard "rumours" that as much as is needed and as few as possible.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I do it every other day...wavy/curly hair tends to be able to get by with longer, I think.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wash my hair about 3 or 4 times a week, but my hair was falling out for other reasons.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm a guy, but I gotta wash it every day or my head gets itchy. Doesn't it feel funky if you don't do it every day? When my hair was long, after a day I could practically mold it it was so thick.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i think that depends on how oily your hair naturally is. My boyfriend is the same way, but for some reason he is a lot more oily than i am. my hair is more dry, so it takes it longer to look and feel gross.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm a MAN but I do have to wash it every day because I have medium length hair and it can get a little greasy :( if I neglect to wash it for a few days..but that's usually everybody.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wash it every other day. If I wash it every day, it gets very dry, brittle, and frizzy. If I wash it less frequently than that, it gets too greasy. I'd say three times a week or so.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Not every day - my hair is thick and takes a long time to dry.

Recently I went without washing my hair for a few days (maybe 5?), but I rarely wait that long. Usually every 3 days, unless I'm swimming. But I don't swim every day...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every other day, but I can only wear it down if it's been washed within the last 24 hours, otherwise it's too greasy. If it's in a ponytail you can't tell.

After 2 days it gets really gross even in a ponytail.

edit: I'm slighlty surprised that it seems to be every other day (ish) for most people. I thought most people washed their hair every day and I was just lazy.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2 times a week, but I have hair that falls down to my hips and that makes it more managable without washing for a longer period of time. However, it also means I need 4 hours before it's dry (and hairdryer is not an option in my situation).

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Under normal circumstances, I wash every other day. Agree that it depends on the condition of your hair. My hair's pretty thick and stiff... so it looks greasy if I don't wash for more than 3 days.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Thick and curly and long so also 2-3 times a week. Twice is the more likely average. I also don't use a hairdryer, like Amar, so it takes a really long time to dry completely. It may also have something to do with the shampoo/conditioner itself.

I switched to a completely natural product this year and have found it works better. I also use hair oil which helps.

Qre:us

Thick and curly and long so also 2-3 times a week. Twice is the more likely average. I also don't use a hairdryer, like Amar, so it takes a really long time to dry completely. It may also have something to do with the shampoo/conditioner itself.

I end up blowdrying once a week; if a lot of social functions, more, but, I try to keep the blowdrying to a minimum. And, currently I wash every 3 days, as mine is also naturally wavy/curly (and frizzy). And, not very oily, but, quite dry so the greasiness isn't that much of a factor. Mostly after a work-out or a high activity-filled day, I'll wash, regardless of the 3 days rule. Summer, more frequently.

I switched to a completely natural product this year and have found it works better.

I should look into this - any name suggestions?

I also use hair oil which helps.

:laugh: I was just telling Jennifer about this - you could well guess, the mom did that to me as a kid. Sometimes traditional treatments have so much truth to 'em. Back to the motherland!

Thanks, ladies for your input! Oh, and the boys, too! It might be that the hormone difference makes guys' hair be more greasy, on average, and their level of activity? Just a random guess...:D