• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What causes excessive veins in women's arms?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I like when women are fit and their veins are showing. Barring drug use, it's a mark of fitness to me. I have some veins that pop a little when I am running and I love seeing them. It can also show up in hot weather. It's definitely that these women don't have much body fat and that they work out a lot. They could also be predisposed to this.

Scientific American has a detailed explanation as to why it occurs.

(Also, SJP is not THAT old. Not that I particularly like her. No one seems to say that or even think it about Anderson Cooper or the men around her age. Pfft!)

I know veins pop out during exercise, but these women aren't at the gym. They're just struttin' about doin' the Hollywood thing. (I wouldn't be shocked if I saw them this way while doing something physical.)

V

violaine

Ahh, I meandered a bit in that post... I just meant lack of subcutaneous fat and working out a lot leaves some women looking like that. Lack of subcutaneous fat is the reason veins show in elderly folks too so I have read.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
iwakar: Asking the questions everybody's been thinking but too afraid to bring up.

wolfy

awsm
It's a combination of low body fat and vasodilation caused by their fitness routines.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had to wiki vasodilation. Thanks for that wolfy.

Is it safe to assume women were not experiencing this significantly prior to 10, maybe 20 years ago?

wolfy

awsm
Is it safe to assume women were not experiencing this significantly prior to 10, maybe 20 years ago?

You'd think so. Though I really don't know for sure. The further you go back the more a softer look was popular, even at a low bf. Also, resistance training has only become popular relatively recently.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I do believe, though, that drug abuse plays a part in that kind of horrible vascularity. I have around 7-8 percent bodyfat, and I can see veins in the arms and legs, but they don't look that sick. It seems like their skin is not "moisturized" enough, they're probably using some diuretic too (not angelina jolie, she's fine)

I don't personally like that look. I am fine with a girl being muscular, I can appreciate that, but she has to have some fat otherwise it looks sick.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Do you guys (men or women) find this look attractive? Right now I'm just shooting to be trimmer and healthier... not pumped. But I have noticed this time around at the gym (as opposed to five years ago when I used to go regularly as well) that I see more women looking ripped. Even my step-mother who is a personal trainer, nutritionist, and gym manager notices more women trying to get "cut." What gives?

Being healthy and fit is sexy. And looks aside, there's a definite quality of life improvement when you work out hard. Maybe more women are buying into this as it becomes more acceptable.

I think the women in the pictures take it too far though. The female form is designed to have some curve and softness to it, so without that aspect it looks... unhealthy. Age may be a factor too. I find it hard to pick out their ages.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Angelinia Jolie looks as though she is just hot. And her veins don't have that ropey look.
I have a question though, could this be the result of high protien diets as well?
I flatted with female trapeze artists for a while, and man, they have a high maintanence exersize routines and diet. If anyone should be ripped, it was them. They were muscley, and could bench press two times thier wieght, but they never looked like that, not even after a workout, or a performance. They didn't have an once of unnecessary body fat, to the point where one of them complained she had lost her boobs. They were very toned. One of then had the best legs and butt I've ever seen on woman (she also had purple/pink hair!)but not ropy and cut like that.

sculpting

The bulging veins in the hands I would attribute to issues in blood pressure pushing the blood back to the heart-the blood is pooling a bit in the lower extremities which cause the veins to bulge some.

My veins are very prominant and my skin verges on translucent in places. If I lower my hand, the veins will begin to bulge as the blood pools a bit.

If these women are also very tall and thin-very lanky-it could be a result of natural variety in collegen structure.

I have an inherited disorder called Ehlers-danlos syndrome. Each family has thier own varient but the symptoms are long, thin lanky frames, thin, translucent skin, large eyes and small noses relative to the size of the face. A high level of flexibility can also be seen. hypotension-low blood pressure and pooling of the blood in extremities in also seen-ie the bulging vein as the veins are also hyperflexible due to defective collegen structure.

My family has a very mild varient with some tendonitus like issues. In the general population the genes that contribute seem to be polymorphic and very common, so few people know they have it unless they seek out a rheumy for some other issue. It's just another version of being human.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Haha wow, when I lift I get like that, but I guess for those women, it does have to do with low body fat and maybe some supplements.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bulging veins are kind of hot on men but gross on women. I think women look best with a little bit of fat on them or at least some curves.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
lean arms.
think of the skin as being like a vaccum bag around pure muscle and bone which is laced with veins, just like your hands and feet. it comes from working out your arms. i could see faint veins in my arms when i was a bit stronger.

Last edited:

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
This seems unusual for a woman. Is it age? Is it their weight-lifting routine? Is it low body fat? Is it the "lanky" body type? Is it a combination? Enlighten me please.

Madonna.jpg

jolieDM2612_468x712.jpg

ttp.jpg

0513_manhands_launch_ramey.jpg

It's so... manly.

It's called ANNOREXIA :). If you'll notice, all those women have something in common. ANNOREXIA! At one point or another they were doing that to themselves, and you see the results.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
It's called ANNOREXIA :). If you'll notice, all those women have something in common. ANNOREXIA! At one point or another they were doing that to themselves, and you see the results.

Yeah. The third picture's arms cannot be healthy at all.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
annorexia + muscle training. stickly people are still flacid unless they workout.

Alchemiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sorry to say age is a big factor in this. I had imperceptible veins for most of my life (to the point drawing blood for a blood test was a guessing game, ugh) and then almost overnight my forearm veins started bulging intermittently. I weigh roughly the same I always have and am not more buff than before. I talked to my doctor about it and he was amused, saying they weren't that bad and comparing them to his (he's a 6'5" or so skinny man). Nothing pathological in his estimation...

B

Bajahdiana

I don't find it attractive, they look like noodle-armed men and they aren't so much pumped as they are obnoxiously thin. Women seem very competitive about appearance and I would imagine they are just copying each other because no men I know like that look. Healthy and curvy 4-life.
I know this is off topic but people are so particular about what they want the other gender to look like. Why does it matter? Women try so hard to “hide” parts of themselves that could be considered “manly” such as veins & body hair which is ridiculous because it’s all natural. I think the world is fucked.