• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gym Class: Why Kids' Exercise Matters Less Than We Think

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I mostly agree with you, however in reading pieces of Gladwell's "Outliers" he makes a case for how being slightly older than your peers developmentally gives you additional confidence and a leg up in performance that carries you throughout life. I have also seen parents who hold their kids back from starting school until they are slightly older. Maybe something similar (with confidence) could be at play here.

That makes sense.

I've always been younger, smaller, weaker than my peers.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Did they throw chess pieces in your face?

I hear the bishops can quite hurt if they get in your eye.

Nobody forced you into this chess tournament, did they? Were you getting graded on it?

Yeah, I agree, I wasn't making a point, just an amusing memory.

But I suppose, unless you're being physically hurt then you can still have fun and learn things playing sports even if you're losing.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
That makes sense.

I've always been younger, smaller, weaker than my peers.

I'll keep Moody off of you.

my-bodyguard_l.jpg

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah, I agree, I wasn't making a point, just an amusing memory.

But I suppose, unless you're being physically hurt then you can still have fun and learn things playing sports even if you're losing.

Not really if you can never even get the ball once, because everyone else is at such a higher level than you are.

It's only fun if you're even SLIGHTLY competitive. If everyone else is completely out of your league, they know you can't handle the ball, won't pass to you because you can't handle the ball, and you won't get any better because you're never handling the ball, or they might make a pity pass to you where more often than not, you'll demonstrate why they never hand you the ball.

Even in one-on-one tennis, the guy who makes the other one miss always gets to serve. Which means that if you keep missing, you don't even get to TOUCH the ball, and you just end up flailing all over your side of the court trying.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was pretty small and skinny until I was about 14 when I shot up six inches in a year. PE was like Lord of the Flies for an hour every day. That said, I did learn to take up for people when other people try to push them around.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Not really if you can never even get the ball once, because everyone else is at such a higher level than you are.

Isn't it the same if you're far behind at anything in school? You're probably not going to enjoy it and if you want to improve it will take outside help, tutoring outside of school etc. You can't have every subject come natural to you, that's unfair. :D

The experience you guys have with PE is similar to me in maths, I had no natural inclination towards it at all, I would never do any more than the bare minimum and because I had no interest I would not make an effort outside of class. Sure it might not have been as competitive but it sure feels bad knowing you're the very bottom of the class at basic maths.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always been one of the younger people of my classes in school. When I played football at our local WAY TOO SMALL football club (soccer for american people) I played defense against people 1-3 years older then me. (I quit because I busted my ankle pretty badly when I was 13, but I was playing in the A-class of the club which is generally against people of around 16-18 years old. (It should be said that I always had a very stable posture. Natural thick legs, strong build and broad shoulders. I wasn't that much smaller to them 16 year old tiny (for their age) attackers. Still, sometimes they were very tall and seemed very big. :D

Reason I played in the much too high for my age classes was mainly because the club wanted to be able to have enough players in that bracket in order to compete, and I was one of the few willing to volunteer. :p (In hindsight, I think underestimation of the opponents I faced of me often helped me greatly. :D )

In both cases, school and football, being the youngest only pressed me in wanting to compete more. Really wanted to belong to the big guys. So I was very motivated and focused in those years of my life, and always gave it all I got. And did it pretty well too.

Between 14 and 18 puberty hit pretty bad though. :(

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Isn't it the same if you're far behind at anything in school? You're probably not going to enjoy it and if you want to improve it will take outside help, tutoring outside of school etc. You can't have every subject come natural to you, that's unfair. :D

The experience you guys have with PE is similar to me in maths, I had no natural inclination towards it at all, I would never do any more than the bare minimum and because I had no interest I would not make an effort outside of class. Sure it might not have been as competitive but it sure feels bad knowing you're the very bottom of the class at basic maths.

I'm not fair then.

Oh except for PE. Then I'm totally fair.

This is what I was talking about with remedial gym classes, and that they should happen. It's not fair that all the other subjects have them, but with gym, you don't.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I HATE gym!

Gym class is full of stupid jocks who have big muscles and run around with their chests in the air exerting their manliness way to much. I'm not saying everyone who takes gym serious is like this, but I can't tell you how many people fit the description I just described.

My gym teacher is also really stuck up- so much that it's almost amusing towards how serious he takes things. It's almost like he's trying to relive his life through coaching kids, as if he was a loser earlier in life; which I don't like. Most coaches in my school sports are all burnt-out losers.

We're always told to be competitive, and it's really annoying because one day a girl asked why we had to make volleyball a competitive sport, and the gym teacher snapped at her.

Gym really fractures kids self esteems. There's a lot of kids who dread it, and gym really tells them that they can't be good at things, which is really sad, because people over-emphasize over staying fit.

I think they should have mental or emotional education classes, where we learn to thing healthily, feel healthily, and live healthy lives. No, I don't mean that we do this in our normal classes, but that maybe some kids would want to build some self esteem.

In my opinion, the arts and music should be more emphasized. I feel like the arts are fading away, and more kids are turning to sports, or nothing at all. Creativity is such an undeveloped skill in most people..the world would be less dull.

heart

heart on fire
I wonder if any of the authors were competitive athletes, or were they obese?

These are the only two options in life? :huh:

Anyway, here's scoop:

Research news - University of Exeter

Sporadic Play Activity As Beneficial To Child Health As Continuous Bouts Of Exercise, Study Suggests

"Professor Roger Eston, co-author and Head of the University of Exeter's School of Sport and Health Sciences, said: "The use of accelerometers permits much closer scrutiny of activity behaviour than has previously been allowed through other methods. The recording of habitual activity counts on an almost second-by-second basis provides researchers with the ability to capture the sporadic and brief bursts of activity which naturally occur in healthy young children.

"Whilst it is not possible to attribute cause and effect relationships from this study, this is the first time that such short bursts of naturally occurring habitual activity behaviour in young children have been associated with microvascular function. The findings from this study enrich our understanding of the potential links between naturally occurring sporadic physical activity and health in children."

This study, entitled 'The pattern of physical activity in relation to health outcomes in boys', was by Michelle Stone, Dr Ann Rowlands, Dr Andrew Middlebrooke, Mohammed Nidzam Jawis and Professor Roger Eston, all of the University of Exeter's School of Sport and Health Sciences..."

Staff - biography Dr. Ann Rowlands

Staff - biography Prof. Roger Eston

Staff - biography Dr. Andrew Middlebooke

They look pretty fit to me. :shock:

The worst thing about PE is the forced competition and conformity of it. Without that it wouldn't be so horrible. I took dancing class outside of public school and the atmosphere was just so very different.

Another thing, why are so many public school gym teachers obese?

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I agree that forced competition can be damaging.
But I also agree with Quinlan that learning to exercise is just as important as learning how to work abstract problems. (The only reason working problems is given more emphasis in school is because it makes more money. Further development of technology, etc. People are forgetting the importance of other things!)

That's why gym classes should hold options like running laps or working in the fitness center. Personally, I hated gym in my elementary days because people just got so... serious about a game. I remember a semi-un-athletic girl in my class who did a really good serve in volleyball, but the teacher made a HUGE deal about her being 2 steps in front of the stupid line.

I think gym should put emphasis on competing with yourself and your best time, not raging bloody murder on the other team. Giving people a common enemy is NOT the same as natural teamwork!

I hadn't realized the difference until I started taking martial arts in middle school, and by then I had already ruined my health a fair amount, having assumed that exercise meant misguided competition. Still regret that very much today. :[

Another thing, why are so many public school gym teachers obese?

Those who can't do, teach.
And those who can't teach... teach gym! :D

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
learning to exercise is just as important as learning how to work abstract problems. (The only reason working problems is given more emphasis in school is because it makes more money.

Tell that to Tiger Woods! :newwink:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think there are valuable lessons that can be learned in PE; it isn't just an energy release/health tool. Some kids learn differently. Some will learn the value of teamwork in a group presentation or project, others will learn it during a game of capture the flag or basketball. Some kids will find pride in creating a painting, others in winning the game. Some will be engaged when learning about atoms, others will be engaged when learning the technique of a long jump.
Variety in life is good. I'm just not so sure if "forcing" kids to engage in activities they hated would be conducive to learning... Back when I was in high school, there were mandatory PE classes up to (and including) grade 10.

PE was okay... It wasn't my favourite class... but I don't hate it either. I agree that PE classes should take place so kids get some exercise. I remember after grade 10, the amount of exercise I get went way down. Of course I was also busy prepping for provincials etc but still I had plenty of spare time but they were spent indoors reading or on the computer. :mellow:

The idea of grading kids by athletic performances though was meh. 12 minute runs, push up test, jump test... Jump tests were particularly "unfair". It's purely on inane ability. It's not something you can practice to get better at.

It seems to me, the only people who don't like PE just weren't very good at it, which is understandable. I hate art, because I suck at art. I liked PE, because I'm athletic and I like sports. And really, who doesn't enjoy dumping some kid on his ass with a perfectly spotted dodgeball to the face :cheese:
Yup. Only fair I suppose we like things we're good at. :D

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
In sixth grade, we did pushups once and I was sore as hell. My muscle doubled from that one day of working out.

I was also a really skinny short wimpy kid before this, and that was my first taste of knowing what any strength or power meant.

I just wish they made us exercise more in school

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The idea of grading kids by athletic performances though was meh. 12 minute runs, push up test, jump test... Jump tests were particularly "unfair". It's purely on inane ability. It's not something you can practice to get better at.

That makes no sense, if a kid went home everyday and instead of doing maths/science/english homework they just run around, did lots of pushups and jumps, they would improve dramatically.

I don't see how physical fitness and skills are any more innate than the ability to compute maths problems.

Some kids are naturally inclined to read outside of school, that will give them an advantage in English, some kids are naturally inclined to solve problems outside of school, that will give them an advantage in Maths, some kids are naturally inclined to run around and roughhouse after school, this will give them an advantage in PE. None of it is innate except for the initial inclination towards certain interests.

wolfy

awsm
Half the day should be PE, with the rest made up of woodwork, metalwork, art and outdoor ed.

/SPness

That's probably how a lot of SPs feel about school as it is! Too much pointless stuff like math, chemistry, english and physics and none of that really meaningful stuff I mentioned above.

The 3-dimensional areas of Art Education (woodwork, metal work and ceramics) offer ample opportunity for physical developement and impovement of coordination. Moving and processing materials with machinery or (preferably) by hand while learning the math and concepts necessary for design offer an integrated approach to both the physical and mental aspects of education. Direct interaction with raw material also allows a student deeper awareness of resource management and environmental impact. The results of the work are tangible and useful (though early efforts may be something only a mother could love...)

I call bullshit on the article posted in the OP.

I don't care what any group of researchers thinks they found, the following statements are undeniable truths:

(1) The mind and the body are one. A weak mind will weaken a strong body; a strong mind will strengthen a weak body. A strong body will strengthen a weak mind; a weak body will weaken a strong mind. Academic intelligence and physical intelligence are mutually beneficial to each other.

(2) Children need to develop hand/eye coordination, fine motor skills, and the ability to work in teams. PE activities accomplish these fundamental developmental objectives, especially for those kids whose parents are sorry enough to not make sure they are engaging in physical exercise of some variety.

(3) Children need to be able to function in a competitive environment. Getting an "A" in any academic subject is the student Vs. the textbook. Winning a game of soccer, volleyball, kickball, etc. is one team of students Vs. another. Our world is competitive; kids must be able to function in a competitive environment, which PE fosters albeit in a basic capacity.

So there.

:D

-Alex

I got sick of quoting. But I agree with these guys.
All physical skill can be improved, including jumping.

A lot of people are whining because they didn't like PE, that's irrelevant.
The whole school system is structured poorly. What makes PE any different than any other class?

Hold up your hand if you think physical skills are useless and shouldn't be taught. Somebody tell me that good eating habits and how to exercise are not essential skills.

We are not talking about PE as it is, we are talking about PE.

heart

heart on fire
Who here had to wait to go to school to *learn* how to run and play, ride your Big Wheel or Bike or play on the swings? Don't most teenagers, especially girls, dance to music when they are alone? Don't most teens still like to ride their bikes or go for walks? The body likes to move, especially when it's young. It's innate.

The whole point of the article is that enforced exercise at school in an long period likely does no better than children playing in spurts while away from school.

I really don't care about the issue of who was better at jumping or going up and down a rope, that's not what the article was talking about. The article is talking about fitness not prowess.

wolfy

awsm
Who here had to wait to go to school to *learn* how to run and play, ride your Big Wheel or Bike or play on the swings? It's innate.

The whole point of the article is that enforced exercise at school in an long period likely does no better than children playing in spurts while away from school.

I really don't care about the issue of who was better at jumping or going up and down a rope, that's not what the article was talking about. The article is talking about fitness not prowess.

Do you feel PE as it is now is a waste of time or PE itself is a waste of time?
My kids can do simple math naturally. They didn't need to learn that in school. Maybe they don't need to learn more.
There is another reason to exercise at school. Kids need to spend their energy otherwise they can't concentrate.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
That makes no sense, if a kid went home everyday and instead of doing maths/science/english homework they just run around, did lots of pushups and jumps, they would improve dramatically.

I don't see how physical fitness and skills are any more innate than the ability to compute maths problems.

Jumping is innate. Or maybe I'm just a weirdo... I get perfect score for that silly jump test. No practice required. ;)

Physical fitness is important. I definitely agree with that... just not so sure about grading fitness.