• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Popcorn fumes dangerous...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apparently, the smell of buttery popcorn from the microwave can cause lung disease. Read the article here.

Now I'm particularly a fan of popcorn, but I'm not going to abstain from the things I enjoy just because some quack said it's going to kill me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now I'm particularly a fan of popcorn, but I'm not going to abstain from the things I enjoy just because some quack said it's going to kill me.

If your quack is wrong, you can just put it on his bill.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :yay: :yay: :alttongue:

:peepwall:
Quick -- duck!

Sigh. I'm bored.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I'm glad I don't eat popcorn. It always seemed so superfluous and unsubstantial. Now I know that my hunch was correct, and popcorn isn't good for you. (What else would you expect from an old, dried-out corn kernel? Yuck!) When I eat snacks, I prefer something more substantial like chips.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I'm glad I don't eat popcorn. It always seemed so superfluous and unsubstantial. Now I know that my hunch was correct, and popcorn isn't good for you. (What else would you expect from an old, dried-out corn kernel? Yuck!) When I eat snacks, I prefer something more substantial like chips.

Actually, in term of dietary fiber and a lack of man-made chemicals and such, the Light variations of popcorn are probably one of the healthier snacks, and it fills you up. (But then again, most snacks really are awful in nutritional content.)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm not sure this has anything to do with popcorn really... and everything to do with using strong chemicals for flavoring. Plenty of versions of this, from the "light", like the sugary syrups you get in pop/etc all the way to the hard core food coloring stuff.

I mean, the only reason this is notable is because it was the first time ever that a consumer was affected (you know, having thousand and thousands of these bags of popcorn isn't normal...). This suggests that smaller doses could cause an effect, but that isn't known at this point (he could of been sensitive, he seriously ODed on these making the concentration unusual - who knows what other factors might be involved).

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You know, every moment you're alive is one step closer to the moment you die. Actually, being born brings you closer to death...so obviously being alive is dangerous business . :rolli:

Anyway... No one can keep me from my delicious popcorn fumes!

:popc1: Mmm, artificial butter flavouring goodness.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Actually, in term of dietary fiber and a lack of man-made chemicals and such, the Light variations of popcorn are probably one of the healthier snacks

That's what I always thought. At least it isn't deep-fried.

I saw this article on yahoo but didn't read it. I don't want to because I think it may make me scared to eat popcorn. I love popcorn. I even lick the bag sometimes.

I'm with Kyrielle. :popc1: *goes to make a bag for her and Kyrielle to share*

Viva la popcorn!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, every moment you're alive is one step closer to the moment you die. Actually, being born brings you closer to death...so obviously being alive is dangerous business .

This is why I posted this thread, too. :)

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
=__= Oh my god...I can't believe you even posted this. This is like one of the stories my grandpa always prints off the internet for me to read...like all this stuff about artificial stuff and soft drinks that I already know..ugh..

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I hate that artificial buttery goodness :sick: but Hubbie loves the stuff. Give me good old Natural everytime. :popc1:

I have an awful time even finding Natural flavor though so I buy the old-fashioned popping corn sometimes and do it myself. Yummy.