• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Running Sprints

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I was watching some kids race each other the other day, and it looked pretty fun to do. I couldn't remember the last time I had run an all out sprint, so later on I tried it. Fun! It felt liberating to push my body to the limit, felt like an outlet for some of the aggression in me.

Yesterday I sprinted up a huge hill two times, and found out that the pain isn't in the sprint itself but the recovery. I didn't make it all the way up the hill, because after a while of giving 100 percent energy the body just can't go any more. I stopped running, and 5 seconds later, wow... had to fight to remain conscious. While it was rather unpleasant... I felt very alive and that my body needed it.

Anyone else enjoy running the occasional sprint? Is it good for a person to do this?

juggernaut

Permabanned
Not in recent years, I've given up competitive sports and the intentional infliction of pain that comes with it.

Sprints are wonderful for building stamina. The rush you felt is most likely the result of a rise in serotonin levels. Of course there's something psychologically rewarding about physically pushing oneself, even without the chemical response.

Keep it up and you'll be fit as a fiddle in no time! (not saying you aren't already)

wolfy

awsm
I enjoy sprinting. Used to really enjoy 400 meter sprints. These days I like to sprint around with my kids.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just need to move. I love running everyday, and opening up for some striders is that much better.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I love the 100m. Used to run competitively in school. It was just so fun running fast, and then the "afterburner" kicks in and you fly by everybody. I don't think I'm quite as fast now, but I'm still faster than most people.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I run Track & Field and Cross Country. I have developed good endurance with a strong sprint. It's fun isn't it.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah, I just started running longer distances this year. I've been running 5k two-three times a week, and have been incorporating 10k the past month. It's definitely challenging yet fun. Or probably fun because it's a challenge.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
During Cross Country I was running 5+ miles Monday-Friday for 2 months nearly.

Talk about kicking you in the arse..

R

Riva

Bump

There are so many benefits of sprinting.

*Google*

I don't do sprints but I do sprints on the elliptical. Yes it is not the same but the exertion of power is the same or more. It is probably more because one doesn't have to concentrate on balance or joint aches.

I do 10 sprints on the elliptical within 10 minutes with 10-20 seconds bursts/sprints followed by 50-40 seconds slow peddling (recovery period) every weekday. I want to get it upto 20 second bursts followed by 40 second recovery period into 10 times.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I wish I still did this. Alas, I am not the masochist I once was.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
By the way, studies have shown that doing 6x30sec bursts of ABSOLUTE ALL OUT sprints is of equal benefit to mitochondrial strength as a 90 minute low-moderate intensity workout.