• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Swine Flu: Stay Updated

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Nah, just people not understanding that they are attempting to prevent what could be (and what is likely if they do nothing), and not what is. That's prone to over-reaction, unfortunately, as the weakest link is what causes the dam to break.

:yes:

Medical News: WHO Raises Pandemic Threat of Swine Flu - in Infectious Disease, Swine Flu from MedPage Today

Hell, try to avoid hanging around people who cough without covering up, sneeze into midair then grin about it, and wipe their noses with their bare hands. And maintain a decent level of hygiene yourself.

And remain calm. :)

heart

heart on fire
BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight | Fears early drug use could cause flu resistance

This audio has top reseacher saying that H1N1 in the past few flu seasons has been resistant to Tamiflu, seems over reaction would be most dangerous of all.

Summary: Interim Recommendations for the Use of Influenza Antiviral Medications in the Setting of Oseltamivir Resistance among Circulating Influenza A (H1N1) Viruses, 2008-09 Influenza Season

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Antivirals: Summary (H1N1) Viruses, 2008-09 Influenza Season

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The swine flu outbreak that has alarmed the world for a week now appears less ominous, with the virus showing little staying power in the hardest-hit cities and scientists suggesting it lacks the genetic fortitude of past killer bugs.

President Barack Obama even voiced hope Friday that it may turn out to be no more harmful than the average seasonal flu.

In New York City, which has the most confirmed swine flu cases in the U.S. with 49, swine flu has not spread far beyond cases linked to one Catholic school. In Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak, very few relatives of flu victims seem to have caught it.

A flu expert said he sees no reason to believe the virus is particularly lethal. And a federal scientist said the germ's genetic makeup lacks some traits seen in the deadly 1918 flu pandemic strain and the more recent killer bird flu.

The Associated Press: Swine flu may be less potent than first feared

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
original.jpg

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm really more concerned with how the situation will be this fall...and if it mutates by the fall. If it does...uh-oh.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have some cold right now. I told my mom, who actually raised concerns I might have swine flu. You know, in a "Be careful, dear! It could be swine flu!" way.

For crying out loud.

xDDD rajah...oh boy every sniffle my mother worries too haha. * it could spread/they may shut school's down if it gets worse* i said yeah but it hasn't happened yet so just be preventive
(prepared/wash hands/cover mouth/wear mask if it would get worse but it's fine haha...breathe women lol...mother worries to much...go eat some veggies/fruit, laugh does a body good anyway xD)and keep an ear out on the news that's really all you can do in the present. Sounds like it's in pretty good hands I only got a very teeny sniffle and sneeze a couple times that's it no flu "yet" *looks around ^^P*

I do believe in always being prepared though so good topic :newwink:.

Frank

I told my Mom I had swine flu just to hear her reaction. I only let her believe it for about fifteen seconds though. Anything longer than that may have killed her.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I told my Mom I had swine flu just to hear her reaction. I only let her believe it for about fifteen seconds though. Anything longer than that may have killed her.

Yeah.. I have a mother who I would totally do that to just to hear her reaction, and I did it too :D. But.. I actually have the shit, as opposed to joking... and she did flip. She's fine now though, no heart attacks, just a lot of worried phone calls :D

It's not as bad as they're making it out to be, though I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's still the flu, it's still potentially dangerous, and it still puts you out of commission for at least a few days, but it's not any more and possibly even a little less severe than the normal one. I was over the symptoms in like 2 days, and even though they were gone, after they "confirmed" that I was a case of H1N1, Ohio's Department of Health asked me to stay in isolation (which is reasonable enough), and also to take a full course of Tamiflu before leaving isolation. Even though I'd been past 48 hours of having symptoms, and therefore Tamiflu was nearly worthless. Even though I had few symptoms and was out of the infectious period.

So they do have a tendency to want to throw drugs at it, even if they're not needed, and I'm worried about that, because that'll probably just make the inevitable mutation into a supernastybug come that much sooner.

In the meantime, I'm out of class and work for a week and a day. Oh life, what curveballs you throw us. Just for the record, I'm still not worried at all about the swine flu, and you shouldn't be either, unless you are already chronically ill or are an older person. It will not kill you if you seek medical care for the complications.. dehydration and pneumonia are the big threats. Had the 1st one, and once they fixed that via an IV drip in the ER, my symptoms almost disappeared completely.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Gah. The US is now redirecting $1 billion for Swine flu vaccinations.

Seriously, wtf.

The regular flu kills more people. :facepalm:

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Gah. The US is now redirecting $1 billion for Swine flu vaccinations.

Seriously, wtf.

They're afraid that the virus will mutate, as many have done in the past, and come back very deadly in the fall.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Wait till it 30-60 million people are getting infected with it each year, then say that... Although the exponential infection rate is slowing, containment has mostly failed. I need to know the context of the money being spent. We already have flu vaccinations... if they are ineffective against this strain (and all subsequent mutations), it most likely means they want to update the vaccinations to cover the strain before it comes back during flu season next year.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
They're afraid that the virus will mutate, as many have done in the past, and come back very deadly in the fall.

If it mutates, the vaccines won't work.
What, they're going to globally stop the virus before it has a chance to mutate?

heart

heart on fire
Wait till it 30-60 million people are getting infected with it each year, then say that...

How is this different from the flu we already deal with?

Read this before you get a flu shot - CNN.com

The flu kills. Each year nearly 40,000 people in the United States die from flu complications like pneumonia and heart failure. And more than 200,000 are hospitalized due to flu. The people at highest risk have lowered defenses: children ages 6 months to 5 years, pregnant women, people older than 50, and anyone with a chronic condition like asthma, diabetes, and heart or blood disorders.

Although the exponential infection rate is slowing, containment has mostly failed. I need to know the context of the money being spent. We already have flu vaccinations... if they are ineffective against this strain (and all subsequent mutations), it most likely means they want to update the vaccinations to cover the strain before it comes back during flu season next year.

That isn't different from what normally goes on:

Most Flu Bugs Don't Match Flu Vaccine

Flu shot does not reduce risk of death

It's not that new a virus according to some researchers:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...s-h1n1-virus-probably-released-years-ago.html

Swine flu genes circulated undetected for years - Yahoo! News

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
The US has a reputation for over reacting. When something remotely dangerous comes near its borders, it freaks out. Has anyone ever bothered to think that the higher death rate in Mexico is perhaps mostly due to poorer health standards? According to reported cases in Mexico, the current death toll is 212 out of a 5234 confirmed cases. That's a death toll rate of a mere 4%. Now in the US, there have been 9 deaths out of 7751 confirmed cases thereby decreasing the death toll to around .1%. The swine flu is not a super killer.

By the way, the Swine Flu tracker moved here: FluTracker - H1N1 Swine Flu and Influenza Outbreak Tracking from Rhiza Labs
We should be more concerned that Google was unable to use its god-like powers to track the Swine Flu. Once Google fails, the world fails.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
And most of the deaths in the United States were of people who were either young, old, or they died because they had other complications.

My aunt is hilarious really; she thought she had the swine flu because she hugged someone who went to Mexico. She's also the one in our family who claims she gets sun poisoning every time it's too sunny outside. A real character, she is. :D