• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No junkfood May.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
what if you make something like raw brownies... which is really just nuts, dates, cocoa powder, and agave syrup.

sade

I'm not sure if I can give up sweets, but with everything else it's a deal.
I don't normally eat junk food. :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's late, but consider me game starting tomorrow.

Although I'm scratching pizza and coffee off of the list. Perhaps I'll go to the store and buy some whole creamer... and quit adding sugar. Everything else is fair enough.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, yesterday I did really well. I didn't get a break from work until about 5:30, and I went to Starbucks intending to get a piece of cake or something sweet, and I got a Fruit and Cheese plate instead. And it was delicious.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ha, I'm totally in though I won't have to make any changes as I don't eat junk food anyway. Not much of a grazer or snacker honestly.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
So how did everyone do?

I failed pretty hard after about a week. I became bored with my food and my apetite faded. The reduced calorie intake cut my energy levels and I couldn't keep up with weights. I did sleep better though.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Failed. Did good for a week, but honestly, without also doing other things to fix my diet up, I quickly wondered what the point was.

Things to note
A) Certain foods triggered a craving for sweets. Diet soda, for example. I did better when I avoided those foods.
B) Certain places, where I normally eat sweets, triggered a craving.
C) The more I was stressed, the more I missed junk food.
D) Lack of planning (bringing a healthy snack with me) caused cheating.

It was informative, if ultimately unsuccessful for me.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
NOOOO. Just NO.

I rarely hawk down candy. I wouldn't classify Energy Drinks as junk food either. But why deprive myself when it's not hurting?

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
NOOOO. Just NO.

I rarely hawk down candy. I wouldn't classify Energy Drinks as junk food either. But why deprive myself when it's not hurting?

Kinda missed the boat there =p

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
So given it's May 31st I think I feel safe in posting here.

I didn't make my goal in 2009 but I have succeeded in 2010. :D

My goal was a little more conservative this time around - cut out sugary snacks like chocolate, cookies, cake, etc., which were my primary vice. I would eat a LOT of these, multiple times daily. Greasy and salty snacks were technically still allowed but I rarely eat those so mostly avoided them anyway. Coffee was allowed as a measure of sanity.

Observations:
- The first week was the worst. I had to battle craving at all the times I'd normally go for a snack, plus all the normal triggers. Behavioral addictions. For example, Friday after work I was really fond of grabbing a jumbo bag of peanut M&M's. Snacking was also a response for boredom, so I had to find things to do to distract myself.
- Drinking water helped cravings.
- I had to eat more "real" food, which helped my workouts substantially. I've seen visible improvement over the month, both in slimming and gains.
- I've seen improved energy levels owing to the workouts, but not as much as I thought I would. Reducing or cutting coffee may help.
- Eating more real food proved to me what a terrible cook I am. Food fatigue set in quickly... (eating the same things over and over). It forced me to branch out a little, purchase spices, try different meats and veggies.
- Declining snacks from others is tough. There's a social pressure to accept these things. Some people are cool with it, others put on a little guilt trip. It can be awkward.