• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Running Tips?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm attending a 7.5 mile run on May 3rd and I need to shape up fast, lol! Thankfully it's not a serious race or anything but I'd still like to get a decent time. So far I can run 3 miles at around 35 minutes without dying. Any advice on how to improve my time would be awesome.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Rocks + passing police cars = Training, faster running, better times.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Are you doing Bloomsday? I did it for years, it's a blast.

As far as improving your fitness between now and then, I don't think a ton of progress is possible as you've got barely over two weeks. What I would do is just keep up with the three-milers and try to do a 7 or so over the weekend to get a feel for what's ahead of you. If you're doing Bloomsday, I would also try getting a few hills in. That last hill is a doozy. The best advice I can give beyond that is try not to get sick or hurt between now and then. Keep your diet clean and maintain your current level of fitness. Ideally, training for a 7.5-miler should start 6-8 weeks out so you can build properly and rest right before the run.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good shoes! Most important. :)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm attending a 7.5 mile run on May 3rd and I need to shape up fast, lol! Thankfully it's not a serious race or anything but I'd still like to get a decent time. So far I can run 3 miles at around 35 minutes without dying. Any advice on how to improve my time would be awesome.

Rollerblades! :D

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Get an airmask too.. unless you want to torture your lungs..

Are you running in Mexico City?

I will agree fully, good shoes, I only wear New Balance and Pearl iZumi, both are great for me but go to a local running store and see what feels best.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Throw some fartlek/intervals/sprints in, junk runs are good exercise but won't decrease your time

Get fitted for shoes, go to a place like fleet feet and someone will watch you run/tell you what works best

Break up runs with other types of exercise... like swimming... swim aerobics the week before a run is a good bet.... cycling... whatever you like... just make sure you keep your heart rate up for an amount of time that is close to the amount of time you will be running. For marathon training, we started with 2hr and ended the season with 4hr workout sessions/assignments, but it's also very important to stay within a healthy HR range while doing this... one coach used to tell us the workout is of no benefit if your heart rate gets too high... the max i think... i don't even know if they wanted us hitting our max too often. It also builds up your glycogen stores so that the wall comes a little later in the race.

HAVE FUN

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Start doing an exaggerated version of power walking at medium running speed and convince yourself that you're going at a regular pace.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
what has worked for me (im a slowpoke) is about 1 mile of fast jogging, then alternating every 1/4 mile between sprints and your initial pace until you total about 3-4 miles. outside, it's helpful to use telephone poles to space out the sprints.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I don't know why but I'm always a lot more "wired" into running after an exhausting cardio lesson. But if I was to run cold I'd prolly choke.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My first thought when I read '3 miles in 35 minutes' is that the average person walks at 3-4 mph. You're running at 5mph. This tells me you could probably work on your form. I don't know how much you weigh, but there's 200+ pound guys running 19 minute 5k's. The best marathon runners are sometimes stocky and 5'5". It's doable, its all in how you do it.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Marathon Training

I wanted to start a new thread for tips on starting (pretty much from scratch) training for a marathon but am glad I found this one! There's no particular marathon in mind yet so I would also appreciate tips on what a reasonable training time is for a complete newbie.

In the past, I've really enjoyed running (2-2.5 miles on average) but pretty much did this at a slow pace and took my time to finish. I haven't run in a while but do cardio workouts 3-4 times a week.

Questions:
1. Running programs you would recommend (training schedules)?
2. Is a 5K a good first goal to build up to a marathon?
3. Any training tips?
4. When do you run - preference for time of day and route (neighborhood/track/trail/treadmill)

Thanks!

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Questions:
1. Running programs you would recommend (training schedules)?
2. Is a 5K a good first goal to build up to a marathon?
3. Any training tips?
4. When do you run - preference for time of day and route (neighborhood/track/trail/treadmill)

Thanks!

Just go run.

1. Until you're up to like 21m/week, just run the same thing every day. After that point, make your long days almost twice as long as your short days. I used to run 3-5-3-5-3-5-off

2. I mean, yeah its as short as it gets

3. Just go run. Get Alexander Technique lessons.

4. The track sucks. I don't believe in treadmills for reasons involving number 3. You have to listen to your body. A treadmill is just another thing to adapt your body to. Why would you wanna do that? Its bad enough we've all forgotten to run without a full inch of padding under our heel. I run in the morning and get it over with so i can shower. But its good to get a good meal in you.

Just go run.

If you have any quesitons, pm me