• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Lifting Thread

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I seem to be using this thread as a journal of sorts :D

As a bit of a followup, I haven't yet tried those other exercises, but I did stop benching for a week, substituting a few sets of quick, powerful push-ups. I can do about triple the push ups I could do a few months ago, so it's nice to see the difference.

Today I went back to benching with slightly reduced weight and a different pattern (x6, x7, x8) and felt a familiar post-workout burn much like when I first started the exercise. That's a big improvement from a week ago, where I didn't feel a burn so much as it felt like I would just ran out of gas.

Something of a mixed blessing, I've gained a lot of weight in the last few months. As a skinny guy this was something of the point, so I'm happy for the mass, but some of it is certainly fat. Annoying.

wolfy

awsm
Feops...
Are you looking for more mass or a bigger bench. If both which is more important?

How often do you bench per week?

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Are you looking for more mass or a bigger bench. If both which is more important?

How often do you bench per week?

Huh. I kind of assumed that bigger bench would equal more mass?

I bench once or twice a week, depending on the week. I have two separate workout routines which I alternate on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule.

wolfy

awsm
Huh. I kind of assumed that bigger bench would equal more mass?

I bench once or twice a week, depending on the week. I have two separate workout routines which I alternate on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule.

Yes and No. If your goal is a bigger bench then you include more work above 90%. The work above 90% is training your CNS more than building mass.

If mass is more important you do more work in the 70-80% range. But that doesn't build a big bench.

Try this routine. This routine will put on mass and give you a big bench.
I pulled it from here I left the stuff you need to do if you want to be strong in the bench press.

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT - Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.

Choose one of the following exercises:

Thick bar or regular barbell bench press
Barbell floor press
Rack lockouts
Board presses
Incline barbell bench
Close-grip bench press (index finger on smooth part of bar)
Decline bench press
Weighted dips

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT - Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Flat dumbbell bench press (palms in or palms forward)
Incline dumbbell bench press
Decline dumbbell bench press

C. HORIZONTAL ROW - Perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.

Chest supported rows
Bent-over dumbbell or barbell rows

Seated cable rows (various bars)

D. REAR DELT/UPPER BACK - Perform 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.

Seated rear delt machine
Seated dumbbell "power cleans"
Bent-over cable flyes (single arm)
Standing face pulls
Rope pulls to throat
Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes
Cable "scarecrows"(shown below)

++++++ REPETITION UPPER BODY - (Friday) ++++++

A. REPETITION LIFT - Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.

Barbell bench press (max reps on 95lbs., 135lbs., 185lbs. or 225lbs.)
Regular push-ups, bar push-ups or suspended chain push-ups
Bodyweight dips
Dumbbell benches on Swiss ball, flat bench or incline bench

Dumbell benches

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT (triceps) - Perform 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps.

Dumbbell triceps extensions (flat, incline or decline bench)
Dumbbell floor presses
Rolling triceps extensions
Rope pushdowns
Skull crushers (EZ bar or straight bar)

Skull crushers

MEDIAL DELT or TRAP EXERCISE - Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

Dumbbell side press (single arm)
Dumbbell shoulder press (seated or standing)
Lateral raises (dumbbell or cable)
Barbell or dumbbell shrugs
Bradford presses (shown below)

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Just because I like to buck the trend, dislike meat heads, and think body part building is a little antiquated..........HERE is the argument for pushups.

Want more power, strap on a weight vest or sand bag.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So I seem to be stuck on benching at a rather light mark. :doh:

I'm at around... 120lb which to my knowledge is not heavy enough that I should be having issues. In any given session I'll fatigue in about the same time give or take a couple lifts.

I've been aiming for 3x5 which seems to work nicely for my other exercises but I'm thinking of scaling back my weight to maybe 110 and increasing my lifts to maybe 3x8 for benching. Thoughts?

How much and what are you eating?
Diet is more than half of the equation IMO.

You should be getting 1.5 to 2g of protein per lb of lean body mass and 1g of fat per lb of lean body mass. The rest of your macros can go to carbs based on your basal metabolic rate.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Thanks Wolfy. Though I don't know what most of those exercises even are. Heh. Time to do a little reading.

As for eating.. uh.. I don't really keep track. I suppose I could try to keep a log for a week and see what comes up.

wolfy

awsm
Thanks Wolfy. Though I don't know what most of those exercises even are. Heh. Time to do a little reading.

As for eating.. uh.. I don't really keep track. I suppose I could try to keep a log for a week and see what comes up.

That program produces solid results. Think about progression too. How will you build over a three week period? You can build a longer progression but I like three weeks. I get bored easy and like to make programs.

You could add a set
You could add reps
You can add weight
You can increase the training density (work done within a time frame)
You can decrease rest periods (good for when you want to lean out)

You can do a combination.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Heyla all... so here's my query: I want to be able to tumble, do handstands and springs, pullups, plio-pushups, be more agile, manipulate my body in that manner.

I all ready have a good amount of muscle for my sex and size, and don't mind the idea of gaining more lean muscle mass or becoming a bit more streamlined... but either way I'm wondering if there are suggestions/plans somewhere for that kind of goal (and exercises that work more efficiently toward that end) as opposed to specific strength gains or "I want to gain __ inches in my biceps and thighs by September".

Thanks for any assistance ye can give.

wolfy

awsm
Heyla all... so here's my query: I want to be able to tumble, do handstands and springs, pullups, plio-pushups, be more agile, manipulate my body in that manner.

I all ready have a good amount of muscle for my sex and size, and don't mind the idea of gaining more lean muscle mass or becoming a bit more streamlined... but either way I'm wondering if there are suggestions/plans somewhere for that kind of goal (and exercises that work more efficiently toward that end) as opposed to specific strength gains or "I want to gain __ inches in my biceps and thighs by September".

Thanks for any assistance ye can give.

I don't know much about it. There should be info on a gymnastics site somewhere. The only coach I could think of was Coach John Davies, he had a few articles about that kind of stuff but it looks like he pulled them off.

here are a couple others that just popped into my head...

Thomas Kurz column is good. His book is really good. I don't know if he updates the column. I haven't read it in a while.

You might like Pavel Tsatsouline's articles

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Any thoughts on Smith machines versus a cage + freeweights?

I think I'm going to have to go one way or the other soon. I can't get enough weight overhead from the floor to really properly weight my squats.

wolfy

awsm
Any thoughts on Smith machines versus a cage + freeweights?

I think I'm going to have to go one way or the other soon. I can't get enough weight overhead from the floor to really properly weight my squats.

You have to go power rack. A smith machine is nothing compared to a power rack.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have to go power rack. A smith machine is nothing compared to a power rack.

Agreed! +1!

My biggest issue with Smith Machines is that they totally polarize your vertical movement. This is not good. No stabilizer muscles get recruited as is possible when using a power rack.

The only exercise I use a Smith Machine for is barbell lunges. My preference for lunges is walking lunges around the indoor track, or outside if its sunny... :D

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Thanks.

I think I'll need to wait for a used one to pop up though.. getting a new rack with no frills except a chinning bar looks to run upwards of $1,000. That sounds unreasonable for what's essentially a simple metal frame.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Is it not true?

Only girls, gay guys, and noobs are the ones on the machines.

Always go free weight.

This simply isn't true. Leg extensions, leg curls, calf extensions, tricep extensions > free weight alternatives.

EDIT: Vets do more than their own weight on tricep extensions.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
This simply isn't true. Leg extensions, leg curls, calf extensions, tricep extensions > free weight alternatives.

EDIT: Vets do more than their own weight on tricep extensions.

Do you own any pink workout shorts?
simmons.jpg

Closing Thoughts

Let's take a step back and examine our risk-to-benefit situation now:

Leg Extension Risks:

1. Increased patellofemoral joint reaction force, knee movement, and joint stress in the most commonly used range of motion.

2. Reduced hamstrings activity.

3. Reduced VMO activity and late onset of firing.

4. Non-existent hip adductor and abductor contribution.

5. Increased rectus femoris firing.

6. Constant ACL tension.

7. Higher patellar ligament, quadriceps tendon, and patellofemoral and tibiofemoral forces with the most commonly utilized loading parameters.

8. Increased lateral patellar deviation.

9. Insufficient involvement of surrounding joints to ensure optimal functioning.

10. Poor training economy (no carryover to closed-chain performance from open-chain exercises).

Leg Extension Benefits:

1. Will give you a good pump, but not even close to the benefits you'll get from squatting and single-leg movements.

2. Uh, wait, there's really only one benefit — and it's pretty weak.

Whether you're a patient or not, the take-home message is the same: if you want more bang for your training buck you should be squatting, not doing leg extensions. Factor in the additional loading that squatting allows, and it should come as no surprise that you'll see better gains in size, strength, and functional capacity.

TMUSCLE.com | Truth About Leg Extensions