• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fitness and the Male Body Image

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
thanks for the advice but i already do all of this. i forgot to mention that i add extra virgin olive oil to everything. tons of monounsaturated fat (helps with the inflammation) and adds calories. the other exercises i switch up a lot, and they aren't that important. also my pictures in my profile are old(about 15 lbs less than now). i do a lot of negative sets especially cause they initiate more muscle fibers than normal sets. my big three lifts (dead,squat,bench) i do 5 sets of 5 and increase the weight so that i can barely make the last set.

i have Pumping Iron so ive seen that. i know my shit, believe me. I probably know more than i should. i just am a young guy who is a hardgainer who is expecting more muscle than i should expect. thats about it.

thanks once again for the response though.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Mlittrell, for you, I would suggest you take more rest time between sets and exercises. Especially the multi-joint exercises(bench, deads, squats), try resting at least a full minute maybe even two between sets. If you are trying to put on mass, I don't think you are resting enough. It sounds like you are getting close to over-training.

Your muscles won't grow without adequate rest. And you have only been lifting for a year. Nor will they grow if you damage too many muscle fibers for your body to repair before the next session. If what you say is true, that you are a hard gainer, rest is especially important.

Hang around a gym long enough, and you'll see the chronic over-trainers. They are usually injured somewhere, and have actually lost muscle mass.

You can gain strength without adding mass, that's not usually a problem. It's gaining mass while getting stronger that can be difficult.

My opinion is, you may be pushing the limits of recovery. Quantity isn't as important as quality.

On a nutritional note, you should be eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. And drinking lots of plain water. :)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
your probably right.

i dont care THAT much about mass but it is nice to motivate me.

also i do get 3 days of rnr. wednesday and the weekend. as long as my gains are going up im happy.

and i drink 6 bottles (approx) of water a day. and i hit that 1 gram:pound ratio.

thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated :)

and in your opinion, is a 35 lb gain a good gain? ive heard some people say thats pretty good but i never know.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
your probably right.

i dont care THAT much about mass but it is nice to motivate me.

also i do get 3 days of rnr. wednesday and the weekend. as long as my gains are going up im happy.

and i drink 6 bottles (approx) of water a day. and i hit that 1 gram:pound ratio.

thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated :)

and in your opinion, is a 35 lb gain a good gain? ive heard some people say thats pretty good but i never know.

If you're truly a hard gainer, 35 pounds is damn good.

Nothing we say here will 'make' you do something, but I'm glad you find the information useful. :)

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
To the OP I will just add that from my observations I think men's bodies look best in their 30s. It's like they get broader and put on a bit more muscle, plus I think a slight paunch isn't an issue. I like broad shoulders and big forearms, personally, but I'm obviously not too concerned because my bf was skinny when I met him and I've dated an overweight guy before. Just as long as we're not talking anorexic or obese.

I know no girls who like the sort of ridiculously rippling muscle you get on cheesy bodybuilders who are fake-tanned and oily, but other than that I think we have pretty much all tastes covered.