• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Benzos - brand differences

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
I was wondering if anyone could clear up a couple questions I have about benzodiazepines?

About a month ago, I got prescribed Klonopin for situation-specific anxiety. It did absolutely nothing except make me want to sleep, which isn't exactly an effective way of dealing with situations you don't like. I looked around online and discovered that a lot of people don't like the Purepac generic of Klonopin, which is the kind they prescribed me. Basically, they said that for Klonopin you need to go with brand name or the Teva generic; Purepac is basically sugar pills.

The pharmacist, the psychiatrist who prescribed the pills, and a new psychiatrist (first one went on maternity leave) all told me that this was BS and all forms of Klonopin work basically the same. They told me that the pills are regulated by a government agency, which didn't exactly engender trust for me.

I saw the new psychiatrist a couple days ago and asked him about the possibility of trying something else in the benzo family. He told me that it was likely they would all work the same way for me. He said that benzos are generally not good for social anxiety like I have - they're best to relax people and put them to sleep. Then he spent 20 minutes trying to persuade me to take SSRIs.

Do benzos really not work for social anxiety, and are all the different brands the same? What do people think?

Also, just as a side rant, I found his sales pitch on SSRIs to be very annoying. I must have told him about 5 different times that I didn't want to take a pill every single day and produce a constant alteration in my state of being. He came back with every argument he could think of, the weirdest one of which was probably that I will be graduating soon and it's best to experiment with meds while I'm still under student health insurance. Christ, I never thought I'd hear a doctor actually telling me to take medicine I don't want or need to take. That's just weird to me.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
1. Doctors will indeed push those SSRIs. It really opens your eyes to the fact that a doctor is not so much there for you as he is for himself -- like a drug dealer.

2. Benzos are tranquilizers. That is why it made you want to sleep. People take them to ease their anxiety because it is a debilitating physical condition (when you are in the throes of an attack). Social anxiety is not so much physical as it is a perception of the relationship between yourself and the world. So it can be conquered by altering that perception.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was wondering if anyone could clear up a couple questions I have about benzodiazepines?

About a month ago, I got prescribed Klonopin for situation-specific anxiety. It did absolutely nothing except make me want to sleep, which isn't exactly an effective way of dealing with situations you don't like. I looked around online and discovered that a lot of people don't like the Purepac generic of Klonopin, which is the kind they prescribed me. Basically, they said that for Klonopin you need to go with brand name or the Teva generic; Purepac is basically sugar pills.

The pharmacist, the psychiatrist who prescribed the pills, and a new psychiatrist (first one went on maternity leave) all told me that this was BS and all forms of Klonopin work basically the same. They told me that the pills are regulated by a government agency, which didn't exactly engender trust for me...

Do benzos really not work for social anxiety, and are all the different brands the same? What do people think?

Also, just as a side rant, I found his sales pitch on SSRIs to be very annoying. I must have told him about 5 different times that I didn't want to take a pill every single day and produce a constant alteration in my state of being. He came back with every argument he could think of, the weirdest one of which was probably that I will be graduating soon and it's best to experiment with meds while I'm still under student health insurance. Christ, I never thought I'd hear a doctor actually telling me to take medicine I don't want or need to take. That's just weird to me.

OK, you need to get over your mistrust of your MD and the Rx industry. A drug, whether brand name or generic, if it is the same substance is the same. No company could market sugar pills under the guise of a generic form of Klonipin, whoce chemical name is Clonazepam.

I agree with you that SSRIs are bullshit. I have seen them ruin lives. The bottom line is this. Doctors have been scared by the Feds and the Rx drug reps. that benzodiazepines are addicitive and that SSRIs are not. BULLSHIT.

First of all, if I wanted to have a problem with any chemical, I would not be visiting my doctor. Second, if you take SSRIs regularly for a few months, and then stop, you get physicially uncomfortable symptoms, if not full on panic attacks. Isn't that the definition of addiction? That which when administration ceases unpleasant phycial side effects manifets?

MDs prescribe SSRIs/SNRIs because they get free samples of them and the Feds have scared them otherwise. Rx sales reps push SSRIs because they will increase their company's bottom line and thus create a $$$ bonus for them.

It is not possible to make money on the generic forms of benzodiazepines (Valium/diazepam; Xanax/alprazolam; Klonipin/Clonazepam; Ativan/Lorazepam; etc.) as they are not patented anymore.

You need to exercise, meditate, take a serious introspective look at your life, accept accountability for that which you have done and that which you are able to change, identify a support network, and embark forward with your life.

Not preaching, just dropping a shitload of experience in a few paragraphs. Good luck!

:)

-Alex

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Just speaking from experience, Xanax worked really well for my panic attacks when I had them. I made sure not to take it excessively, and I combined it with cognitive behavior therapy. Antidepressants, which I have also taken, did nothing to relieve symptoms of social anxiety. I do think it's possible that Klonopin might not work with your personal chemistry, or you might need to lessen your dosage. I remember watching an interview with Stevie Nicks where she said Klonopin basically turned her into a zombie. I don't think every medication is for everybody.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just speaking from experience, Xanax worked really well for my panic attacks when I had them. I made sure not to take it excessively, and I combined it with cognitive behavior therapy. Antidepressants, which I have also taken, did nothing to relieve symptoms of social anxiety. I do think it's possible that Klonopin might not work with your personal chemistry, or you might need to lessen your dosage. I remember watching an interview with Stevie Nicks where she said Klonopin basically turned her into a zombie. I don't think every medication is for everybody.

Very good info! If you read the Merck Manual, Klonipin (Clonazepam) is actually prescribed for treating epileptic seizures, not just anxiety.

It is prescribed for anxiety (I think) because many MDs have stigmatized Valium and even some Xanax.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
OK, you need to get over your mistrust of your MD and the Rx industry. A drug, whether brand name or generic, if it is the same substance is the same. No company could market sugar pills under the guise of a generic form of Klonipin, whoce chemical name is Clonazepam.

I agree with you that SSRIs are bullshit. I have seen them ruin lives. The bottom line is this. Doctors have been scared by the Feds and the Rx drug reps. that benzodiazepines are addicitive and that SSRIs are not. BULLSHIT.

First of all, if I wanted to have a problem with any chemical, I would not be visiting my doctor. Second, if you take SSRIs regularly for a few months, and then stop, you get physicially uncomfortable symptoms, if not full on panic attacks. Isn't that the definition of addiction? That which when administration ceases unpleasant phycial side effects manifets?

MDs prescribe SSRIs/SNRIs because they get free samples of them and the Feds have scared them otherwise. Rx sales reps push SSRIs because they will increase their company's bottom line and thus create a $$$ bonus for them.

It is not possible to make money on the generic forms of benzodiazepines (Valium/diazepam; Xanax/alprazolam; Klonipin/Clonazepam; Ativan/Lorazepam; etc.) as they are not patented anymore.

You need to exercise, meditate, take a serious introspective look at your life, accept accountability for that which you have done and that which you are able to change, identify a support network, and embark forward with your life.

Not preaching, just dropping a shitload of experience in a few paragraphs. Good luck!

-Alex
What he said.

(Excellent post!!!)

Alprazolam, it's what's for dinner.

:yes:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Some musicians with performance anxiety take beta blockers. I considered them back when social anxiety was interfering with my job delivering workshops. They work by by interfering with adrenaline rather than by enhancing GABA in the brain like benzos do. So while you may still have the subjective experience of feeling anxious, you won't have the physical symptoms of sweating and trembling. Betablockers to my knowledge are also not addictive, whereas benzos are very addictive.

Valhallahereicome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w7
Some musicians with performance anxiety take beta blockers. I considered them back when social anxiety was interfering with my job delivering workshops. They work by by interfering with adrenaline rather than by enhancing GABA in the brain like benzos do. So while you may still have the subjective experience of feeling anxious, you won't have the physical symptoms of sweating and trembling. Betablockers to my knowledge are also not addictive, whereas benzos are very addictive.

Yes, he did suggest that as well, but I don't really have physical symptoms so those probably wouldn't do the trick unfortunately.

2. Benzos are tranquilizers. That is why it made you want to sleep. People take them to ease their anxiety because it is a debilitating physical condition (when you are in the throes of an attack). Social anxiety is not so much physical as it is a perception of the relationship between yourself and the world. So it can be conquered by altering that perception.

I think this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't realized that benzos are meant more to deal with physical symptoms as well - are you saying that they're more meant to relieve sweating, trembling, etc.? I had thought that they were "happy pills" that made you relaxed, kind of like alcohol or weed but without the impairment to your functions.

-Alex

Interesting explanation of why doctors lean on SSRIs. That makes sense, I was thinking that someone somewhere down the line was making fat profits off them. And then there's the addiction scare about benzos as well. The psychiatrist told me that SSRIS are absolutely not addictive; I didn't trust that. I mean, you're taking something to regulate your mood for months and then you go off it, and everything's hunky-dory? Doesn't make sense.

I don't really trust the Rx industry because I've heard too many stories where people have shelled out money for pills that don't do what they're supposed to. There's not very much regulation and companies often cut corners in the name of profit.

Yeah, there's no way I would go on a daily mood-altering drug unless I was REALLY depressed or anxious. The benzos were to make it so that I could work, because my job takes place in a very social environment - but I believe that drugs are rarely a good long-term solution for either mental or physical ailments.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't realized that benzos are meant more to deal with physical symptoms as well - are you saying that they're more meant to relieve sweating, trembling, etc.? I had thought that they were "happy pills" that made you relaxed, kind of like alcohol or weed but without the impairment to your functions.

They're tranquilizers.. they are not stimulants. They do not make you happy as product, but more as a by-product. And they do impair you, depending on how much you've taken. It's not like being drunk, but along with anxiety (preoccupation with that which does not pose a direct threat to you & yours) can go caution (preoccupation with that which does indeed pose a direct threat to you & yours!), if you've taken a good dose.

In this relaxed state, anxiety can melt away .. allowing you to live more in the moment, which may give lend to an appearance of happiness, but it's not a high.

redacted

Benzos are shady.

I would be really scared to get them prescribed to me. When I'm on them I'm basically a zombie.