• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

All Things Chickenpoxian

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
When I finally got in touch with she told me she had been really sick with shingles (who the hell catches shingles anymore??!!)
What year do you think this is? They didn't come up with a vaccine to this virus until very recently, and even with the vaccine it only stops it in about half of those that get it. Almost everyone is a carrier (pretty much anyone over the age of 5-8 years), and many things can cause it to crop back up. However, many of us never see it again after the original infection...we're just carriers and we neither spread it nor do we show any signs of it, our immune systems just keep it in a dormant state.

So, you don't "catch" it again, it just comes back from a long-past case of chickenpox.

Which reminds me that my immune system got a boost in resistance to this virus when I cared for a young lady with chickenpox a few years ago.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Which reminds me that my immune system got a boost in resistance to this virus when I cared for a young lady with chickenpox a few years ago.

really? When you care for someone with the chicken pox you strengthen your immune system?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What year do you think this is? They didn't come up with a vaccine to this virus until very recently, and even with the vaccine it only stops it in about half of those that get it. Almost everyone is a carrier (pretty much anyone over the age of 5-8 years), and many things can cause it to crop back up. However, many of us never see it again after the original infection...we're just carriers and we neither spread it nor do we show any signs of it, our immune systems just keep it in a dormant state.

So, you don't "catch" it again, it just comes back from a long-past case of chickenpox.

This happened in 2005. I had never heard of anyone catching shingles before; I thought it was some disease people caught in developing countries, like malaria and scurvy or something.

really? When you care for someone with the chicken pox you strengthen your immune system?

Here's what the National Institute of Health has to say about it.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I know about Shingles and about Chicken pox... I actually had the chicken pox twice because my first case of it was so very mild. I also have had 3 kids and a husband with it, and I cared for them all, as well as a little boy I was taking care of. So I was just wondering if it was true that my immune to chicken pox would be stronger... that is all.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
If I'm reading this correctly, if you've had chickenpox, you can still develop shingles in adulthood. Only when you're an adult, it's shingles and not chickenpox.

An adult who has never had chickenpox or shingles before can "catch" chickenpox (not shingles) if they come into contact with someone who has an open shingles blister.

I think I just confused myself.:huh:

From the CDC

Who gets shingles?

Anyone who has recovered from chickenpox may develop shingles, including children. However, shingles most commonly occurs in people 50 years old and older. The risk of getting shingles increases as a person gets older. People who have medical conditions that keep the immune system from working properly, like cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), or people who receive immunosuppressive drugs, such as steroids and drugs given after organ transplantation are also at greater risk to get shingles.

How often can a person get shingles?

Most commonly, a person has only one episode of shingles in his/her lifetime. Although rare, a second or even third case of shingles can occur.

Can shingles be spread to others?

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, VZV, can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox through direct contact with the rash. The person exposed would develop chickenpox, not shingles. The virus is not spread through sneezing, coughing or casual contact. A person with shingles can spread the disease when the rash is in the blister-phase. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious. A person is not infectious before blisters appear or with post-herpetic neuralgia (pain after the rash is gone).

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
no my husbands first case of chicken pox was 2yrs ago, it was 2 weeks after my daughter had it and my 2 little boys as well as the little boy I was babysitting at the time all had it as well..... 4 boys with the chicken pox.... eek!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I've never had chickenpox before, even after rubbing myself against my brother and sister when they had it so I could catch it and stay out of school. Now I'm just going to avoid people with festering blisters on their skin. Put them out of the city gates.

heart

heart on fire
Both my mother and father had bouts of shingles at the close of their lives as their immune systems began to get weaker. My MIL has also had problems with shingles. All were told it was the chickenpox virus that had laid dormant within them all those years.

I never had chickenpox. I got the vax in my early 30's just in case.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
If your body encounters the virus when active, and your body has fought it off before, yes.

I don't know how some of you could avoid it if you ever encountered any other children. Chances are higher that you had some exposure to another herpes virus that gained you sufficient immunity to never end up with the usual body-wide rash. It's exceptionally rare that people pre-vaccine could avoid it through childhood.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I had a mild case of shingles in the late eighties. I was a junior in high school and it was unpleasant. I'm glad I didn't get it worse and that I haven't had it again.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I originally hadn't had a chicken pox shot. But I did develop chicken pox at age 5, and have a scar on my wrist from it. Later, because of the way that the school system checks for shot requirements, I was forced to get the immunization against chickenpox, because it was required. It didn't matter that I'd already had the disease, and was already immune. Bureaucracy can be irritating at times, but you just have to go along with it.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
My mother is curiously prone to outbreaks of it, she's probably 15 outbreaks of shingles since I can remember, possibly more. In case you're wondering why I know about it...

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Although there is talk that the chicken pox immunization will prevent one from developing shingles....

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I have yet to know how my husband avoided the chicken pox till his 30's. His younger siblings had it and still he did not.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have yet to know how my husband avoided the chicken pox till his 30's. His younger siblings had it and still he did not.

I've never had it either. As far as I know, all of my siblings had it although the only one I actually remember is my older brother who got it the week of prom and had to stay home. I got the vaccine about three years ago.