• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you drink milk? Are you "lactose intolerant"?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I need to do a survey for a school assignment. If people wouldn't mind helping me out, it'll be great. :yes: (Yes I know it's a little long... :sorry:)

Please answer the following questions.

1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province?

2. How many times do you drink milk in a month? I'm referring to a full glass (250mL+) of milk. (choose 1)
30+ (e.g. daily)
12-29 (e.g. at least 3 times a week but not every day)
8-11 (e.g. between 2-3 times a week)
1-7 (e.g. a few times a month)
0 (e.g. you don't drink milk)

3. If you don't drink milk, skip to question 6.

For milk drinkers
4. How do you usually drink your milk? (choose all that applies)
Glass of milk separately (for breakfast, before bed? etc)
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

5. What sort of milk do you drink? (choose all that applies and indicate reason for preference)
full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers
6. Why don't you drink milk? (lactose-intolerance? etc)

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy)

For all
8. Which of the following would you recommend as a milk replacement for a friend who has problems digesting cow's milk? (Rank from 1st choice to last, a rationale would be nice)

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know)

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess)

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is?

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? Minnesota

2. How many times do you drink milk in a month? I'm referring to a full glass (250mL+) of milk. (choose 1)
30+ (e.g. daily)
0 (e.g. you don't drink milk) I used to drink a couple gallons a week, but now I only drink maybe a half gallon a week.

Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe. I usually drink it while eating something else. If I drink it straight, it's usually chocolate.

5. What sort of milk do you drink? (choose all that applies and indicate reason for preference)
full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify 2%

8. Which of the following would you recommend as a milk replacement for a friend who has problems digesting cow's milk? (Rank from 1st choice to last, a rationale would be nice)

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink I've never had anything but cow milk.

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest) No clue

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive) No clue

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? *shrugs*

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province?
California

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

vegan

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy)

yes, soy milk and almond milk... sometimes soy yogurt if you're referring to calcium, fortified orange juice and other fortified foods that I can't think of.

For all

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

1. almond milk
2. soy milk
3. coconut milk (?)
4. rice milk (gag)

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest)

1. soy milk (i'm guessing... only because it's fortified)
2. coconut milk
3. almond milk (although, if it is raw, I'd put it above coconut milk)
4. rice milk

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive)

1. soy milk
2. almond milk
3. rice milk
4. coconut milk

(although, this all depends on brand, store, organic vs. not organic, etc.... this is just what I tend to notice with my personal shopping.)

perhaps... osteoporosis/calcium
perhaps... declining sales in the dairy industry
perhaps... lactose intolerance?
perhaps a million other topics.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? California.

2. How many times do you drink milk in a month? I'm referring to a full glass (250mL+) of milk. I don't really keep a tally of my milk consumption. I'll say 12-29.

[X] Glass of milk separately (for breakfast, before bed? etc) -- RARELY.
[X] Milk with cereal -- OFTEN
[X] Milk in beverage -- SOMETIMES
Other? Please describe.

5. What sort of milk do you drink? (choose all that applies and indicate reason for preference) 2%, but nothing below that because I don't like the taste.

8. Which of the following would you recommend as a milk replacement for a friend who has problems digesting cow's milk? (Rank from 1st choice to last, a rationale would be nice) I'd probably rank the non dairy alternatives first, but I don't know a lot about the pros and cons of each type of milk.

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest) I don't know enough.

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive) Non dairy seems to be more expensive.

The obvious guess would be that it's about milk/nutrition.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
1. U.S. IL

2.12-29

3.right so this step is just here to instruct non milk drinkers to skip the next two questions?

4.Milk with cereal though I never finish the milk i usually dump it out, once in awhile I'll drink it with something sweet but I prefer tea with sweets

5. 1% or skim

7. Don't know haven't really tried any of those.

8.don't know

9.don't know

10.don't know

11. Um something to do with milk?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? North Carolina.

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage. All of these.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk. I usually just go with whatever is bought. I'm fine with it all, I live in two separate households. At my dad's he gets 1% and at my mom's she gets whole.

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy) I eat yogurt and cheese.

For all
8. Which of the following would you recommend as a milk replacement for a friend who has problems digesting cow's milk? (Rank from 1st choice to last, a rationale would be nice). My mom is lactose intolerant (she gets the milk for me) and she has the best results with Soy, Almond and Rice milk.

Soy drink
Almond/rice milk

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know). I'm not sure. Soy, Almond and Rice milk all seems pretty healthy.

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess) Almond/Rice is the most expensive, then Soy.

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? No idea.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

USA/MA.

30+ (e.g. daily)

I don't drink milk. :sick:

For non-milk drinkers

I've just never liked it. It's disgusting.

Yes. I drink Slim-fast Optima, actually. [Rich Chocolate Royale Flavor] I started drinkin' em as a supplement to my meager diet when I was ridiculously busy with my work. Ensure is the meal replacement shake not marketed as a weight-loss product, but it tasted vile, & surprisingly, Slim-Fast Optima Shakes have more nutrients overall, and 50% of my daily rec. calcium needs.
...plus..it's chocolate! :D

I also eat yogurt [not plain.. blegh..]. And cheese occasionally, usually in the rare event someone's ordered pizza.

For all

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

I've skimmed through a few articles & I'm making some guesses based on those...
1. Soy Drink [high in protein]
2. Almond/rice milk [also fairly high in protein, but the texture is more watery, & as a result, less suitable fot substituting in for cooking.]
3. Low-lactose milk has 70-100% of its lactose hydrolized & is better tolerated by most individuals.
4. Yogurt drinks that specifically contain "live & active cultures" are generally well tolerated.
5. Goat milk conaints lactose, and has similar reactivity in intolerant individuals as cow's milk.

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest)

ehhh... I believe the way I have it ranked already may indicate that as well, or at least something close to it..

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive)

I'm guessing here
1. Soy Milk
2. Yogurt Drinks
3. Almond/rice milk
4. Low-Lactose milk
5. Goat milk

Hmm.
-study of non dairy consumers' general awareness/use of their available milk alternatives throughout the world?

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I need to do a survey for a school assignment. If people wouldn't mind helping me out, it'll be great. :yes: (Yes I know it's a little long... :sorry:)

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

For all

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know)

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess)

1. Europe, Lithuania, Siauliai region, Siauliai.
2. Daily. 0.5-1.5liters.
4. Seperate glass, cereal, milk in coffe, milk with honey if I'm sick.
5. 0.5%-2%, it doesn't matter too much for me.
8. Have no idea, lactose intolerance is unheard of here.
9. Have no idea, lactose intolerance is unheard of here.
10. Have no idea, lactose intolerance is unheard of here and there is absolutely no demand for such products here.
11. No idea.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
In the UK a George Best Lining is the consumption of a pint of milk in lieu of breakfast, enabling the would-be bon vivant to continue the consumption of beverages fortified with something a little stronger than lactose.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? Oz

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage

Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify Organic Unhomogenized.

For non-milk drinkers
6. Why don't you drink milk? (lactose-intolerance? etc) I am lactose intolerant but I still drink milk.

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy) Milk as stated plus other dairy products, I tend to avoid products like ice cream and cream though, they hurt me.

For all

1. low-lactose milk Lactose free milk is fine.
2. Yogurt drink Not my thing but normal yohurt is fine so why not.
3. Soy drink No, I react to soy milk just as much as normal milk.
4. Almond/rice milk Never had it.
5. Goat milk Think about all the precious goats milk that could be going to delicious cheese but is instead wasted on milk, this will not do! Also, would have the same effect as cows milk.

As someone who needs to avoid many dairy products the best milk I've found is the organic unhomogenized milk. Soy hurts me, lactose free milk has no taste and normal milk hurts me while having no taste. Unhomogenized tastes unbeliveably good and has no bad effects = winnah.

Goat milk - Yogurt drink - low-lactose milk - Almond/rice milk - Soy drink

Yogurt drink - Almond/rice milk - Goat milk - Soy drink - low-lactose milk

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? I'm just here for the free dairy that come with answering the questions. Where are they?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Melbourne, Australia.

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

Lactose intolerance, I'm Chinese.

Most of the time, no. Cheese is ok, but not in large amounts.

For all

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

Low-lactose milk. It tastes like milk, except that it doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Uh, depends on your definition of "nutritional value".

I'll guess Almond/rice milk>Soy drink>Goat milk>low-lactose milk>Yogurt drink.

Yogurt drink>Goat milk>low-lactose milk>Almond/rice milk>Soy drink.

How the perception of price and nutritional value of various dairy/non-dairy affects how much milk you drink, and how you consume it?

wolfy

awsm

Japan.

30+ (e.g. daily)

30+

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

Milk with cereal

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

1% milk 1.5% to be exact

For non-milk drinkers

For all

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

Soy drink
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink
low-lactose milk

I listed it roughly in what would be easy to get and least likely to cause trouble.

Soy drink
Almond/rice milk
Yogurt drink
Goat milk
low-lactose milk

Yogurt drink
low-lactose milk
Soy drink
Goat milk
Almond/rice milk

I don't know... Familiarity, use and preconceptions?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
North Carolina, USA

30+ (e.g. daily)
1-7 (e.g. a few times a month) This one

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal yes
Milk in beverage yes
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk yes
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

For all

Soy drink 2- also a good tasting non-cow milk, but has estrogen-like compounds that can be a problem in large amounts
low-lactose milk 4- I don't think I would recommend any kind of milk product for a person who has trouble digesting milk
Almond/rice milk 1- best tasting and healthiest alternative, IMO
Goat milk 3- my daughter says it's easier on her delicate stomach than cow's milk
Yogurt drink 5- same as 4, but worse because it has the usual amount of lactose I suppose

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know) I think the rank I chose is also the best nutritional value, except I would bump yogurt drink up to #3. So it would go Almond, Soy, Yogurt drink, Goat milk, Low lactose cow's milk.

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess) goat milk, almond, yogurt drink, soy, low-lactose cow's milk

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? How effective the milk lobby's propaganda about how necessary/healthy milk is? :D My serious guess would be something about correlations between region/background and milk tolerance/knowledge of alternatives.

Negative_

US/NJ

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.
full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers
Dislike the taste & smell of it (and dairy in general).
Not really. The cheese on pizza, lol, and yogurt sometimes is pretty much the only dairy I eat.

For all
Don't know anything about them...
Why would someone need a milk 'replacement' anyway?
Why not just...stop drinking milk...

Guesses:
Goat milk
Soy drink
Almond/rice milk
low-lactose milk
Yogurt drink

Guesses:
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink
Soy drink

lactose tolerance (or consumption) according to region? something to do with milk, probably. i'm like 65% sure about that.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Much thanks to everybody who've answered. I still need a few more. Hoping for 20 :)

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
If you still need people.

1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? UK

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other?

For non-milk drinkers
6. Why don't you drink milk? (lactose-intolerance? etc) Partly not really liking the taste of pure milk, and also not being too keen on the dairy industry for reasons that should be known to the regular members of this forum by now.

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? Soya, but not very often.

For all

Soya drink.
Almond/rice milk
Yogurt drink
Goat milk
Low lactose cow's

Almond/rice milk
Soy
Yogurt drink
Goat milk
Low lactose cow's milk

I have not got a clue.

goat milk
yogurt drink
almond/rice milk
soy
low-lactose cow's milk

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? I have no idea.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? Texas, USA

30+ (e.g. daily)

0. Milk by itself is gross. Every once in a while, I'll drink a glass of milk with something really rich, like a brownie.

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal I do have milk with cereal, but I don't have cereal every day.
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk Yep.
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

I've always hated the taste of milk by itself.

I eat cheese, and I take a calcium supplement. Sometimes I drink SlimFast shakes.

For all

Soy drink 2
low-lactose milk 1
Almond/rice milk 3
Goat milk 4
Yogurt drink 5--GROSS

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know) I have no clue. I'd think the Yogurt drink would have unnecessary amounts of sugar in it.

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess) I'd guess the goat's milk and yogurt drinks would be most expensive.

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is?[/QUOTE]
Milk subsitutes for those who are lactose intolerant or don't like the taste of milk?

sade

1. Where do you live? Finland

30+ (e.g. daily)

30+ Easily. I think I drink a carton per day. ^^'

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk <- Favorite
skim milk - I'm not too picky, I switch them sometimes.

other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

For all

Soy drink 4. Phytoestrogens may cause problems.
low-lactose milk 1. Incase they're not too intolerant..
Almond/rice milk 2. Not a bad choise.
Goat milk 3. ?
Yogurt drink 4. ?

Almond/rice milk
Soy
Yogurt drink
Goat milk
Low lactose cow's milk
?

Goat milk
Almond/rice milk
Soy
Yogurt drink
Low lactose cow's milk
?

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? Lactose-intolerance, milk and/or milk substitute usage and awareness..? No idea.

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

Rhode Island, USA

30+ (e.g. daily)

0. Milk by itself is gross. Every once in a while, I'll drink a glass of milk with something really rich, like a brownie.

For milk drinkers

Milk With Cereal
Milk with something sweet or rich
Milk as a drink

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk

other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

Well I love milk but I love cheese and yogurt aswell :)

For all

Soy drink 1
low-lactose milk 4
Almond/rice milk 3
Goat milk 5
Yogurt drink-2

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know).

Soy drink 1
low-lactose milk 5
Almond/rice milk 3
Goat milk 4
Yogurt drink-2

Soy drink 5
low-lactose milk 3
Almond/rice milk 2
Goat milk-1
Yogurt drink-4

I'm not sure really...probably to see what options are available to people that are lactose intolorant depending on where you live in the world.